So if you were told to put together a Toolkit for a data center...

Grimlaking

2[H]4U
What would you put together. You handle everything except for networking within the datacenter.

That is the boat I find myself in. Found a decent kit for around 120 and a leatherman charge + TTI... thinking Multitool for the engineers and directors that get in the mix. (and the Associates that do as well) But for the real tool kit what would you want it to have in it, and do you have any recommended kits?

After spending about 18 years in data centers, I've come to the conclusion that a tool box while works.. you need multiples of everything. especially if you share that DC with a team. Here is what I would get:

10 philips head screw drivers. Don't buy the combo pack. Seriously buy 5 of one size, and 5 of a smaller size. Unsure of sizes? Grab rack screws from your DC and go figure out the sizes you need.
10 flat head screw drivers. Don't buy the combo pack. Seriously buy 5 of medium size, and 5 of a smaller size. Unsure of sizes? Grab rack screws from your DC and go figure out the sizes you need.
5 adjustable wrenches, Don't buy combo pack. Buy 3 of the smaller size, 2 of the larger sizes.
2 packs of adjustable pliers.
5 pairs of scissors
5 pairs of wire snips.
2 Combo packs of allan / hex screw kits.
2 sets of striped screw extractors.. you know, for the asshole who torqs the shit out of rack screws for no good reason.
Bunch of cheap LED flash lights.
A USB to Serial Connection, but zip tie that thing to the crash cart with a cable long enough to use, but not so someone can steal it.
Label makers, and a ton of refills. Don't cheap out, get a quality one that is easy to get refills for.
2 sets of cable crimps (if you make your own cables)

Why so many of the same items? Cause they will absolutely get lost. Left in racks, under racks, under the floor, left in cable trays, or ends up in the laptop bag and heads home with someone. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

For sure label maker.. we use brady.. with labels rated for prolonged data center temperatures.. cheap labels the glue can start breaking down..

Good network tester.. like a FLUKE.. exchangeable modules to test copper or fiber. (distance, signal loss, etc)

Thankfully I don't need to worry much about disappearing tools and the like. Our centers are insanely secure in that regard due to what my company does.

Here is the link for what we are ordering.

We don't deal with the cabling side it is honestly that and the main power /UPS we don't handle.

https://www.grainger.com/product/TEC-TUFF-143-PC-Electronics-Tool-Kit-52NY03

One for each of our data centers just for our server side work we do.

For sure label maker.. we use brady.. with labels rated for prolonged data center temperatures.. cheap labels the glue can start breaking down..

Good network tester.. like a FLUKE.. exchangeable modules to test copper or fiber. (distance, signal loss, etc)

One trick I've learned.. Its not that great.. But, print your label out, and put on cable. Then use a piece of clear shipping tape to wrap around the label. Most labels can't handle the low humidity, and cold temps. Glue dries out and falls off. A little bit of tape will stick on till you decomm that piece of hardware.

hate to beat a dead horse cause I dealt with this not that long ago. Striped screw extractor. Seriously, if you use a cordless screw driver with torq adjustments.. Don't be an asshole and turn the torq all the way up. As some point, someone else is going to have to unrack that piece of gear. No need to torq things way down. Most of us don't work on a boat.

This thing: https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Remover-Extractor-Product-Stop/dp/B00MZCEBII

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2918366036_8e33d71299_b.jpg

Me my first day at the company. I was assigned with standing all the hardware up.

buy long reach screw drivers. they are great for getting screws out of the rear when mounted next to a PDU. The longer the better.

Reactions: kdh
like this
Sometimes I find I need a little assistance... so don't forget to pick up a hammer or two. Just hide them from everyone but yourself.

Once upon a time, back when Cisco 6509's cost more than a nice house in the subburbs, we had 48 port blade fail. The night crew was told to swap it out. You know to loosen the thumbscrews and pull the levers to remove. I know to loosen the thumbscrews and pull the levers to remove. These chucklefucks did not know to loosen the thumbscrews and pull the levers to remove. They found a two and half foot long, red handled, flat-blade screwdriver and proceeded to go to fucking town on this poor piece of equipment.

That poor fucking switch.

Back