So if you buy one hard drive, do you buy another for backups?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Lets say you get a 1 TB drive for "data". Whether it is apps, game directories, movies, music, etc, do you buy another same size drive so you can do backups of that 1st drive?

I am wanting to add hard drives for dvd purposes, but I feel that I need to get a second of equal size for backup purposes, in case I have a hard drive issue..

I do not have the ability to run any kind of raid configuration.

Just wanted to see what other people do..

I've got so many HD's now that I don't have a problem with multiple drives with Back ups. I have about 4 drives that have been mirrored, and 2 in my system. I just borked my operating system with this
driver app (Don't use an app called "Driver Checker!") and all I did was switch the boot HD in the
Bios and away I went.

I use RAID5 and then backup the important stuff to another drive. The "import stuff" is significantly smaller than everything else, so old small drives work fine.

When I replace a drive the one coming out of my system is used for backup.

I have important stuff on 2 different internal drives + on a external hard drive I keep put away and out of use.

Everything sits on my 2 single main PC drives (300gb raptor + 1TB Seagate) Those files get backed up regulariy to my server. Once a month or after I make major changes, I back up everything to an external 1TB Seagate that when not in use sits in a fireproof/waterproof safe. Quaterly, I back up everything to another hard drive that normally lives in the server room at work for off site storage.

All of this is done using the MS SyncToy. I just plug the drive in, click on the partnership I am working on and click update. Couldn't be easier.

Back