so I wrote a letter to AMD,

Ye slanderous dogs! How dare ye slander King Roy! He will bring us news of the mighty 390x, and when it arrives, all ye nvidian scum will tremble with fear.

Actual pic of the mighty 390x utterly annihilating General Maxwell:
One_vs_Many_FNL.jpg

LOL :p:p

What is Maxwell?

Is that the new architecture which have color compression cheats and MFAA cheats?

This thread is so full of win, and this coming from an nvidian. :p

This thread is so full of win, and this coming from an nvidian. :p

Everyone in this thread is either an Nvidian or a closet nvidian wearing an AMD shirt over his geforce Tatoo ridden torso :p:D

I keed I keed

One thing I learned over the years is that in business a week is 7 business days. Business days are only counted Monday through Friday. This is effectively 2 weeks of real life Homo Sapiens time. Also if a statement is made on Monday of a week then the 7 business days start the next week. Then when factoring in that AMD works on Valve time, the wait time for these 7 business days may protract into 2015. Note that HL3 and 390X have 3's in them.

The only wildcard is Dr. Lisa Su. She gets things done! Someone should forward this thread to her via Twitter or another form of social media. :)

Which is why its always silly to wait. Sure AMD could come up with something that would make all of Nvidia cards poop their pants but it would have hype behind it. If you don't see any hype and are in the market get what you want.

^^^

Nicely done! Send it to AMD, with a copy of the OP's letter!

Alot of overpriced card in that pic! lol
Considering how long the Titan and its derivatives have been out, and how they're all still a top-performing cards, the pricing actually pans out.

The GTX Titan has an MSRP of $999 and has been out 600 days.
That's $1.67 a day to own the card.

The GTX 780 has an MSRP of $649 and has been out 507 days.
That's $1.28 a day to own the card.

The GTX 780 Ti has an MSRP of $699 and has been out 339 days.
That's $2.06 a day to own the card.

The R9 290X has an MSRP of $549 and has been out for 353 days.
That's $1.55 a day to own the card.

If you purchased a Titan on launch-day, you're still getting a better value than if you waited for the 780 Ti to come out, AND you got to start using that level of performance much sooner.
The Titan has been out so long that its value-over-time is actually damn-close to the R9 290x.

The best-value overall still goes to the GTX 780, though. Anyone who picked-up a 780 near launch-day should be feeling pretty good about that choice. Still very close to top-end performance, for a decent price, for a LONG period of time.

Last edited:
Although that assumes you are going to dispose of the card today with no financial return.
with resale prices as well it will be a fair analysis.

Considering how long the Titan and its derivatives have been out, and how they're all still a top-performing cards, the pricing actually pans out.

The GTX Titan has an MSRP of $999 and has been out 600 days.
That's $1.67 a day to own the card.

The GTX 780 has an MSRP of $649 and has been out 507 days.
That's $1.28 a day to own the card.

The GTX 780 Ti has an MSRP of $699 and has been out 339 days.
That's $2.06 a day to own the card.

The R9 290X has an MSRP of $549 and has been out for 353 days.
That's $1.55 a day to own the card.

If you purchased a Titan on launch-day, you're still getting a better value than if you waited for the 780 Ti to come out, AND you got to start using that level of performance much sooner.
The Titan has been out so long that its value-over-time is actually damn-close to the R9 290x.

The best-value overall still goes to the GTX 780, though. Anyone who picked-up a 780 near launch-day should be feeling pretty good about that choice. Still very close to top-end performance, for a decent price, for a LONG period of time.

When you further boil down that statistic by average performance, the numbers change a bit, as the Titan and 780 are slower than the 290x.

When you further boil down that statistic by average performance, the numbers change a bit, as the Titan and 780 are slower than the 290x.
They're close enough for comparison's sake, and it's pretty easy to forgive a small performance gap, considering they (the Titan and 780) still managed to deliver a similar level of performance almost A YEAR earlier than the 290x.

Also consider, if you were really trying to get the most out of a value-buy like the GTX 780, you'd increase the value even farther by overclocking it a bit. It's fairly easy for a 780 to blow right past the stock performance of the 290x, Titan, and 780 Ti. Not bad for the card in the list with the lowest cost of ownership over time. Top-end performance without the top-end price.

Edit: And before you call foul and mention that the 780Ti or Titan could also be overclocked... While yes, that's true, they have the same power target as the GTX 780 (250w) while also having more of the GK110 enabled. This leads to the 780Ti and Titan being more likely to drop out of boost clocks than the 780, because they draw more power by default, and hit the power limiter more easily. End result: all three cards end up maxing out at roughly the same performance level on the stock BIOS.

Although that assumes you are going to dispose of the card today with no financial return.
with resale prices as well it will be a fair analysis.
It doesn't assume you're going to do anything with the card(s). It's merely an evaluation of what they cost against how long that level of performance has been available.

Last edited:
They're close enough for comparison's sake, and it's pretty easy to forgive a small performance gap, considering they (the Titan and 780) still managed to deliver a similar level of performance almost A YEAR earlier than the 290x.

So for "comparison's sake", why didn't you include the R9 290?

MSRP of $399; out for 353 days which equates to $1.13 a day which renders this statement:

as invalid. Best-value overall is the R9 290 but everyone knew that to begin with.

Last edited:
So for "comparison's sake", why didn't you include the R9 290?

MSRP of $399; out for 353 days which equates to $1.13 a day which renders this statement: <snip> as invalid.
Not invalid at all. It's still a value-buy compared to the Titan, Titan Black, 780 Ti, and 290x. The 780 was also still available for a MUCH longer period of time (than the 290), and getting high-end performance early almost always comes with some kind of marginal price premium.

And the R9 290 wasn't excluded purposefully. I was primarily comparing Nvidia-to-Nvidia, with a 290x thrown in as a reference point. The overreaching point being that the Titan hasn't really turned out to be all that overpriced (especially compared to something like the 780 Ti). Basically, if you want to complain about something being overpriced, the 780 Ti is where you should probably point the flamethrowers.

Best-value overall is the R9 290
Edit: Not necessarily. If you really want to get crazy, we could also include the GTX 690 (which is also in the same general performance bracket). Launched 897 days ago with an MSRP of $999. That's $1.11 a day to own a card, of this performance level, for an absurdly long period of time.

Last edited:
There's really no argument, it's pure numbers.

With hindsight being 20:20, the GTX 690 ends up being the best value over time for the given performance bracket. If you bought one on launch-day, you'd own it the longest AND be paying the least per-day of ownership. It's still hard for overclocked single-GPU cards to get above the performance level of a GTX 690, which is pretty damn impressive given the age of the card.

If you swapped it out for a 290 on launch day, you'd end up with lower performance while also paying more per-day for it. That's worse value-over-time.

Last edited:
Reporting in from Tahitian Islands. 2 7970's under relentless attack sir! We are fighting tooth and nail to hold on to our positions inside the Phantom 820. We are in dire straits! Fear of being over taken by 2 970's, and the 8350 is offering little assurance of backup. Waiting on rendezvous with 390x flagship. Please respond!!!!

Stay [H]

"Listening on AMD's war frequency, all we hear is static from their Command HQ, sir. No response to their sheep warriors."

"Expected. Continue with Operation...
Slaughter
Little
Islands"

Could he spell 'argument' tho' ?

Pulled it off the net Captain Serious. You and Captain LAST WORD should sit in a room together debating useless shit only 1 person gives a crap about. I mean did you see his posts this last week??? I AM RIGHT AND I AM GETTING THE LAST WORD!! You're wrong! LAST WORD!

He is so serious he then continued to drive it into the ground after I posted a funny pick depicting how dumb of a thing to ARGUE about. Know what they call that in Psychology right??? ;)

Now, back to the topic. Anyone heard from Roy@AMD?? Because we are now well past the "next week" of AMD's story teller tweet.

Now, back to the topic. Anyone heard from Roy@AMD?? Because we are now well past the "next week" of AMD's story teller tweet.

They did dispatch something for that timeframe but it got caught in the CROSSFIRE of the attack from MFAA (Military Flank Android Attack) and DSR (Digital Strategic Regime) and sadly it was sunk. The last words from the captain who sunk with the ship was.. Never Settle bloopbloop bloopbloop :(

Last edited:
They did dispatch something for that timeframe but it got caught in the CROSSFIRE of the attack from MFAA (Military Flank Android Attack) and DSR (Digital Strategic Regime) and sadly it was sunk. The last words from the captain who sunk with the ship was.. Never Settle bloopbloop bloopbloop :(

Lol!:D that was good man.

I did notice they cut the HIS R290X down to $359 on newegg with a $20 card, so really its down to $339. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161457&leaderboard=1 Oh snap, forgot. You get two new games too! Yep been sitting too long waiting for this price war. I think they got me, unless the 980 drops to $449 with games.

Seriously though. $350 is makes it competitive again. Specially with it close to a 980 in some of the newer games coming out. Really its a $200 premium for the 980? Its not worth that. This will get AMD some sales. Now lets see some price wars and a drop on those 980's.

My Microcenter isn't selling the 980's hardly at all. Still have 8 in from last Monday between 3 AIB's. Most at the $549 price.

Last edited:
Civ was announced for the never settle bundle as well, perhaps thats what Roy meant.

He is so serious he then continued to drive it into the ground after I posted a funny pick depicting how dumb of a thing to ARGUE about. Know what they call that in Psychology right??? ;)
Like I said when responding to the pic, there isn't an argument. There never was an argument. It's a list of numbers, and the GTX 690 happens to end up on-top in said list with better value-over-time than any of the current high-end cards.

There's nothing to debate. 999 dollars / 897 days = $1.11 per-day. That's lower than anything else of similar performance, while also being available longer than anything else of similar performance. Value-win goes to Nvidia here. Pretty sweet that the flagship card in the GeForce 600 series turned out to be a value leader.

If Nvidia does a new dual-GPU card (GTX 990), it'll probably end up in the same position, tiding buyers over for a good few years.

Last edited:
"Listening on AMD's war frequency, all we hear is static from their Command HQ, sir. No response to their sheep warriors."

"Expected. Continue with Operation...
Slaughter
Little
Islands"

Should ye pass the borders into the Pirate Islands, let me assure thee, we will inflict the greatest benchmark massacre upon you, in the history of history. Prepare yourselves nvidians, I have petitioned the great King Roy of Sunnyvale, yet again...Surely, he will bring news of the 390x.

fapfns.jpg

-Captain, we are ready to cross the river Strix. our new 970 engine is ready to be delivered
- Excellent, as soon as it works, helm, take us out of the Southern Islands

Like I said when responding to the pic, there isn't an argument. There never was an argument. It's a list of numbers, and the GTX 690 happens to end up on-top in said list with better value-over-time than any of the current high-end cards.

There's nothing to debate. 999 dollars / 897 days = $1.11 per-day. That's lower than anything else of similar performance, while also being available longer than anything else of similar performance. Value-win goes to Nvidia here. Pretty sweet that the flagship card in the GeForce 600 series turned out to be a value leader.

If Nvidia does a new dual-GPU card (GTX 990), it'll probably end up in the same position, tiding buyers over for a good few years.

I agree with you about the 780 but the 690 is a little ridiculous or any dual card for that matter. That level of "performance" only applies when there are proper SLI/Crossfire drivers and/or the game doesn't use above 2 gigs of ram which a lot have started doing in the last year and a half(depending on resolution)

That is a rubbish deal. My 7800GX was $459.00, I bought it 9 years ago, so it is really the best deal, at $0.13 a day.

Back