So I went ahead and purchased a DSLR

Regime|Life

[H]F Junkie
Decided to join the dark side so to speak... Or maybe its just the side with less people? haha

Nikon D70. I was contemplating buying Canon D60, 10D or 300D or the Nikon D70 and ending up going with the D70. For the sole reason its a great price and it produces excellent images, and its not cheaply built like the 300D.

When it gets here I'll be sure to post some pics. Oh and I got a 50mm F1.8 for now, after Christmas I will buy another lens.

Congrats, its a great camera. Start savin' yer pennies for a 70-200 f/2.8 VR. Amazing lens - my favorite and most used out of all of them

Congradulations!

In my area, Canon is apparently the "dark side". AT my school, the school has a D100. Two people have a D70. The school has a bunch of CoolPix P&S. A handful of people have a CoolPix P&S. There are also a lot of Nikon film bodies, and another brand of film-body I don't recall. I think there are only 3 Canon's in my school, and all of them are a DSLR. One (300D) is owned by me. Another (10D) by one of my friends. And the last one (10D) is owned by the yearbook/photography teacher :D

I don't know about my college, but one nearby (WSU) is made up entirely of Nikon equipment. I think only 1 of 3 newspapers in my area uses Canon. One uses Nikon. The other uses Konica-Minolta :p

Have fun and take pictures :)

Congrats!

You'll find that the 50mm f1.8 is a GREAT lens. The depth of field at 1.8 is awesome, though the lens is super shart at f4. I just recently purchased the 35-70mm f2.8D, this is a neat japanese glass lens with macro. Don't discount the kit lens 18-70mm for a second, that really is a great all-around lens.

I would reccommend that you look at the SB-800 flash while there is still a rebate. This is THE lens to get for the D-70, giving you the ability to sync up to 1/500th.

-PD

Tim_axe said:
Congradulations!

In my area, Canon is apparently the "dark side". AT my school, the school has a D100. Two people have a D70. The school has a bunch of CoolPix P&S. A handful of people have a CoolPix P&S. There are also a lot of Nikon film bodies, and another brand of film-body I don't recall. I think there are only 3 Canon's in my school, and all of them are a DSLR. One (300D) is owned by me. Another (10D) by one of my friends. And the last one (10D) is owned by the yearbook/photography teacher :D

I don't know about my college, but one nearby (WSU) is made up entirely of Nikon equipment. I think only 1 of 3 newspapers in my area uses Canon. One uses Nikon. The other uses Konica-Minolta :p

Have fun and take pictures :)

Washington State University? I live in Moscow...

PurdueDood said:
Congrats!

You'll find that the 50mm f1.8 is a GREAT lens. The depth of field at 1.8 is awesome, though the lens is super shart at f4. I just recently purchased the 35-70mm f2.8D, this is a neat japanese glass lens with macro. Don't discount the kit lens 18-70mm for a second, that really is a great all-around lens.

I would reccommend that you look at the SB-800 flash while there is still a rebate. This is THE lens to get for the D-70, giving you the ability to sync up to 1/500th.

-PD

I just saw the SB600 at Best Buy for $229 on sale.

I'm not sure what that would be at RIT, but I'm guessing it is the darkside. Canon has slowly but surely taken over I think. Either way, the D70 is the brightest product coming out of the dark side right now.

Have fun with it though, it's a fantastic camera. I just got my DSLR a few weeks ago.

Back