So I watched the Warcraft trailer...

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Looks fine I spose, despite all the awful CGI. I imagine I'd be more giddy if I liked warcraft. I mean I did when the last warcraft came out like 20 years ago. Its weird that they'll make a warcraft movie, but no new games. Is this for fans of that MMO? Because this looks like the actual game, not the postal delivery service simulator where the only two words you can speak are RAID? or GEAR?

well heres the trailer if you havent seen it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzT9q2HR5TU

Last edited:
They should just do full-blown CGI.

Agreed.

The Orcs look... terrible. Mostly like they just painted super smooth skin green. They don't look rough or textured or anything. Which makes even the humans seem more gritty.

I don't mind the Orcs. But the trailer doesn't seem exciting at all to me. I don't know why.

Maybe cause it looks the same as anything else.

I didn't mind the Orcs either, they reminded me of hairy Hulks.

The Gryphon and wolf were pretty jarring, though.

I don't mind the Orcs. But the trailer doesn't seem exciting at all to me. I don't know why.

Maybe cause it looks the same as anything else.

I tried to get hype, but I think I just don't care about WoW or Blizzard much these days. I hope their film does well though. I'll try and remember to watch it later on.

I dig it, looking past some of the overly CGI stuff, tons and tons of classic WC1 lore. I'm interested.

What the...

Why did they mix Shrek CGI alongside live action actors?

The scenes where both cgi orcs and humans are both present look ridiculous

It looks like a lord of the rings knock-off made by the asylum.

That's probably the worst cgi I've seen in 10 years in a high budget flick.

Relatively speaking at $100m it isn't considered high budget these days, it's actually pretty low for a special effects heavy summer blockbuster. Transformers and the Hobbit are 2x the budget. Avatar was 4x the budget (and made much earlier, would be even higher adjusted for inflation).

I think a problem with this film is it might be hamstrung by previous all CG attempts. I wouldn't be surprised that they wanted to do all CG, to avoid the contrasting issue, but the problem is non family targeted CG films have not shown they can take in enough money to justify the high budgets necessary. Final Fantasy might still be lingering in peoples minds from a financing stand point.

Then there is double stigma of this being a video game based film.

What needs to happen is one major success as a launching point and maybe we can have a snowball affect as with the current superhero/comic films.

There are going to be some fat home bodies watching this movie while snuggling remember when my level 80 Warlock met your Elf Shaman and we got married.

This is going to be bigger then starwars =)

Relatively speaking at $100m it isn't considered high budget these days, it's actually pretty low for a special effects heavy summer blockbuster. Transformers and the Hobbit are 2x the budget. Avatar was 4x the budget (and made much earlier, would be even higher adjusted for inflation).

I think a problem with this film is it might be hamstrung by previous all CG attempts. I wouldn't be surprised that they wanted to do all CG, to avoid the contrasting issue, but the problem is non family targeted CG films have not shown they can take in enough money to justify the high budgets necessary. Final Fantasy might still be lingering in peoples minds from a financing stand point.

Then there is double stigma of this being a video game based film.

What needs to happen is one major success as a launching point and maybe we can have a snowball affect as with the current superhero/comic films.

They could have done something like what they did with Beowulf and added CGI shading and smoothing to the live actors. It could have blended much more smoothly that way. And Beowulf sure as fuck wasn't a family film!

edit: or maybe beowulf was full on CGI come to think of it. whatever, cgi would have been better!

It was a full CG film . Also it had a budget of $150m for some more perspective on the Warcraft film. $100m sounds like a lot to an individual but in terms making this type of film it's very small.

Also it didn't even gross $200m worldwide on that budget (keep in mind that $200 is split with the theaters and possibly distribution) which is what I was referring to by the lack of success of previous non family oriented CG films. Sure it wasn't as much of a disaster as Final Fantasy but far from successful.

Getting $100m+ financing (really you'd need more for higher quality) for a video game based (poor track record as well) full CG movie aimed at adults and older teens is going to be a tough sell due to history.

This and the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie could be important for the future of video game movies. I'm hoping we at least get a X-Men equivalent out of one them.

I'm also hoping this is successful as it might put some more stock back into the possibility of full CG films.

Assassin's Creed should be alright. It has the gaming / geek cred and it has Michael Fassbender for the non-gamers / normal people.

While alot of people aren't into WOW anymore - I think it's still doing well overseas, so maybe that's where they are hoping to make up the difference. The Chinese market alone is huge, and that's not even counting the other game crazies in Japan and S. Korea.

I thought the trailer was pretty good. I was little skeptical on the look of it. After watching it I'm totally interested now.

I hope this brings a remake of the Original warcraft game. I thought it was pretty good but the mechanics of are dated when you try to play it now compared to newer RTS games.

I find it strange that Blizzard, who has some of the best CGI cut scenes in the biz, would release this. I mean its not that bad it just doesn't look as polished as what they put in their games. That being said I will still watch this.

What the...

Why did they mix Shrek CGI alongside live action actors?

The scenes where both cgi orcs and humans are both present look ridiculous

This was kind of my thoughts. The CGI looks too cartoonish. Everything looked very fake. It's not bad, per-say, it just doesn't go well with live action sequences. If the entire movie was CGI, it would be just fine. Every time a real person showed up, it kind of threw me off. It's almost as if the movie were full-CGI minus the human characters.

I find it strange that Blizzard, who has some of the best CGI cut scenes in the biz, would release this. I mean its not that bad it just doesn't look as polished as what they put in their games. That being said I will still watch this.

I was thinking the same thing. Their cinematics are just amazing. They're also relatively short clips. I think its much harder to probably create a 1 to 2 hour movie that is entertaining then 3-5 minute clip.

But I wouldn't be surprised though in a couple of years they take a chance make something like a 5 part series to see what the reaction is like.

I've watched and enjoyed what were probably worse fantasy movies, so I'll give it a try.

Back