So I want some new headphones

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting tired of my Grado SR225s and want to get something better.

I have bit-perfect output from my computer to a zhaolu dac with upgraded integrated discrete amp. I'm looking for a set of cans that are significantly better than the grados. I have plenty of power for whatever (the current amp gets painfully loud at 1/3 volume). Will be used strictly in a home environment (I've got a set of UltimateEars super.fi 5 pros for portable use).

I am not prepared to purchase new electronics, so please don't recommend getting a new amp.

I like the sound of grados (I like a forward, aggressive sound), I just want something better for overall music listening, and more comfortable for extended use.

Price range is what you'd expect it to be when upgrading from 225s.

I'm not even sure if I'm going to purchase yet, still shopping sort of. Suggestions appreciated

I've heard both the 225's and rs-1's side by side. I feel that the RS-1's are simply in an entirely different class than the 225's. Even classical is enjoyable with them. They best the 225's in soundstage, bass, treble, midrange, detail, resolution, resolving power, PRAT, fun factor, etc, etc.

I would highly reccomend them if you like the Grado sound.

I was just going to suggest that If you really like the grado sound then you're probably best sticking w/ the grados... just go higher in the line.
if you want something a bit more comfortable and good for portable use you can look at the AKG 81DJ's .

if you decide to sell your 225's pm me because I'd like to pick up a pair, but don't have the $ right now... maybe next month or so though

If you can spare the money, go for a RS-2/RS-1. While I don't like the RS-1 on solid state (stock headphone out of a Zhoalu 1.3) as much as on tubes (Mapletree Ear+ HD) it'll be a substantial upgrade from the SR-225. Like Computerpro3 said, it's an upgrade in every aspect. I've had the SR-225 and RS-1 at the same time at one point, and well, the SR-225 was left untouched. However, if you never plan to go for a different amp, it might be better to opt for something else than a Grado RS, as they really come to life with one. Still, you won't find the in your face fun sound anywhere else.

As for more comfortable... I find the flat pads more comfy than bowls and don't have a problem with wearing them for a couple hours on end, but they'll never be as comfy as a full size Sennheiser or Beyer.

I don't mind wearing the grados either. I actually have my bowls wrapped in some material that helps them out even more. I was just wondering if like higher end beyers or something would be better.

I may or may not get a better amp in the future. It is an OK amp now, it's an upgraded discrete amp, not the stock amp in the zhaolu. So it's certainly not terrible (and it certainly has PLENTY of power).

If i'm considering stuff in the gs1000 range, should I consider anything else?

Fryguy8 said:
If i'm considering stuff in the gs1000 range, should I consider anything else?

Well if you like a fast in yout face headphone the SA5000s are certainly that, and some of the most detailed you can buy, but they are not as expensive as the GS1000, which I have not heard.

Fryguy8 said:
I was just wondering if like higher end beyers or something would be better.
If you like the Grado sound a lot, then there's a good chance the Senns or beyer's will disappoint. Still, if you are still looking into the senn's or beyer's, try them out to make sure you want what they can offer. If you find they're not your cup of tea, then just think about going vertical on the grado ladder.

Back