So I took a look at an I-mac today...

Yeah, I've been looking at Apple recently as well. I took a stroll down to the ole CompUSA and test drove the Imac and the new G5....needless to say I'll toss up a few bills for a nice cheap PC, then toss the real cash toward a Mac. I'm still debating on whether or not to wait for the G5 Imacs though. Giggle, when is Apple gonna give us some info on the G5 Imac's? I hear next month or as early as later this month. I'm guessing they are gonna be a bit of cash though :(

Originally posted by QHalo
Giggle, when is Apple gonna give us some info on the G5 Imac's? I hear next month or as early as later this month.

Well, if the the current Mac processor scene were more normal, Apple would wait as long as possible before putting the G5 in the iMac simply for product diversification purposes. However, the Mac processor scene is not normal: Motorola (Maker of the G4) is like a retarded robot, they have become the representation of all that it means to be incompetent and lazy. The G4 (by Motorolas hand) has essentially hit the wall, and will not be scaling much further by way of raw clock speed. Nor will it be getting any other shots in the arm by way of architectural enhancements. The problem this poses is that the latest and most likely final iteration of the G4 is already in the iMac, meaning that while based around the G4 the iMacs really can go no further. So it is all but certain that Apple is going to have to roll out G5 iMacs either this month at MacWorld or some other time during the first 1/3 of this year, whether or not they want to.

nothing is ever certain...as for what is coming out when...I have no idea but I know new things will be out at macworld so stay tuned

I was just inquiring, spending $2k on a G4 just doesnt seem money savy right now if they are going to release a G5 version. :)

Originally posted by Centauri
Well, if the the current Mac processor scene were more normal, Apple would wait as long as possible before putting the G5 in the iMac simply for product diversification purposes. However, the Mac processor scene is not normal: Motorola (Maker of the G4) is like a retarded robot, they have become the representation of all that it means to be incompetent and lazy. The G4 (by Motorolas hand) has essentially hit the wall, and will not be scaling much further by way of raw clock speed. Nor will it be getting any other shots in the arm by way of architectural enhancements. The problem this poses is that the latest and most likely final iteration of the G4 is already in the iMac, meaning that while based around the G4 the iMacs really can go no further. So it is all but certain that Apple is going to have to roll out G5 iMacs either this month at MacWorld or some other time during the first 1/3 of this year, whether or not they want to.

I hope you're right, I can't stand the G4. What worries me however is I'm not sure how effectively Apple/IBM can scale the G5. Apple has been slow in this respect in the past and it's partly Motorolas fault, thats for sure. But will Apple know how to keep kicking the G5 up like they'll need to? Newer processors are coming out from other manufacturers all the time that are obviously starting to step away from the G5. Fortunately for Apple the Opteron isn't making its way to home computers in any high profile (major distributor) configuration (aside from Athlon FX), that could be dangerous.

the big reason AMD and Intel keep pushing their CPU's like they do is they have direct competition with eachother and if one bumps the speed the other has to keep up...just like with nVidia/ATI/3dFX (RIP)....now with Apple there is not that direct competitor as we are the only ones making these products....are the G5's going to ramp....I would say yes considering when they were first released it was announced then and there that they would hit 3Ghz this year so I think we will see more frequent speed bumps than in the past....as for a G5 iMac...maybe next year but I doubt it will happen at this Macworld

Originally posted by gigglebyte
the big reason AMD and Intel keep pushing their CPU's like they do is they have direct competition with eachother and if one bumps the speed the other has to keep up...just like with nVidia/ATI/3dFX (RIP)....now with Apple there is not that direct competitor as we are the only ones making these products....are the G5's going to ramp....I would say yes considering when they were first released it was announced then and there that they would hit 3Ghz this year so I think we will see more frequent speed bumps than in the past..

I've got my fingers crossed for apples sake. :)

..as for a G5 iMac...maybe next year but I doubt it will happen at this Macworld

I agree, but I somewhat expect there might be something coming by summertime.

Back