So I think I narrowed down my choses for a keyboard

So if you're going to spend $200 on a keyboard? You could do a LOT better than that Corsair. Just saying.

I'm going to assume you want a full sized RGB board, how about the Ducky Shine 6? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2389

Just make sure you get the one with the switch design that you like. Have you picked out your switches yet?

Yes if it is worth it.

No I have not picked out my switches yet because I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to that :( Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I just want a really good keyboard is all. If it doesn't require to spend that much then that is fine too. Didn't realize the Ducky Shine 6 was new and only for preorder. Hmm I wonder what that online store return policy is.

Last edited:
First off, don't buy ANYTHING until you decide what switches you want. You can get a switch tester for $20 or so, and it makes more difference than you can imagine. Red, black & white are linear, with no tactile feel whatsoever. Brown and clear have a tactile bump, but no click. Blues and greens have a distinct *click* and tactile bump, and (imho) feel amazing, but they're loud. See what switches you want. Visit a microcenter or Fry's near you and try out various boards. This is step #1, and by far the most important.

Second, you don't NEED a $200 board. Other than full sized and RGB, what exactly do you NEED? Let me know your lists of wants and needs, and I can suggest something for you from a reputable brand with good quality.

Third, will you ever want to replace your keycaps with something that either A: feels better or B: looks better? if so, avoid Corsair and Logitech. Razer is shit in general. Just avoid them altogether.

Fourth, once we have those all answered, we can go into what would fit your needs best, and maybe save you some money as well. I just spent $100 on my board, and I'm absolutely thrilled. Going from a normal keyboard to a mech is the single biggest jump you can make. Spending more than $100-150 gets you the little things, and isn't as much of a noticable difference. Going from 150-200 is basically nitpicking and when you REALLY know what you want.

Hmm I am not liking their reviews on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MechanicalKeyboards but that is just that Facebook. Take it with a grain of salt. There return policy sucks too.

Anyway where do I get a switch tester for $20 ? I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter near by. I did go to a Fry's a few months ago but when i went by keyboards there was only 4 to try :( None of the others were out for testing. It sucked.

I guess I need a gaming keyboard that is kinda quiet or reasonable quiet but doesn't have to be that quiet.

Not sure about replacing my keycaps with something else. I know about Razer being shit and will avoid them at all costs! Thanks for warning me though!

Ok. I tried to answer everything the best I could.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want quiet, I'd recommend browns or clears. You still get the feel, but not as loud as blues. Browns have lighter springs, so less resistance. Clears are a bit heavier, and have more of that tactile bump.

I'd also pick up a pack of o-rings on ebay for $2 or so. You put them under your keycaps and it dulls the clicking and clacking a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00N6DXTW4

https://www.amazon.com/Akwox-Cherry-Switch-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG/

Cool I never knew anything about this until now! Thanks.

So what keyboard do you recommend or is that personal preference mainly?

I wish there was like a #1 keyboard everyone liked so it was easier to decide. It sucks that I have no stores around me to try out wired gaming keyboards.

If you hesitate buying from mechanicalkeyboards.com, I'd suggest amazon. At least you know they're excellent. If I had to do it all over again, I would suggest one of two (though I REALLY want that Ducky Shine)

First - https://www.amazon.com/Double-Shot-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-K6D75S411003/dp/B01LY7KD7R/ iKBC is FANTASTIC. You get your choice of Cherry switches (I put Cherry and Gateron as the best). PBT doubleshot keycaps are the gold standard. They're the best plastic out there, the most durable, and in many's opinion, the best feeling.

Second - PC Gaming Race. It's what I just bought, and I like it a lot. https://www.pcgamingrace.com/produc...m=email&utm_source=newsletter#shappify_bundle There's a 20% off bundle going for the next week.

You can change the switches yourself, since it's modular, so if you want browns now, you can get those, and if you want blues later, you can just yank the browns off and replace them. Most other keyboards require soldering to do this. A few downsides: The keycaps are... ok. Just ok. You'd probably want to replace them soon-ish, so you can order PBT caps for $30 and just not spend the $20 for the PCGR caps. In addition, there's no (dedicated) media keys, so volume up/down/mute is Fn + F9-11. Honestly, this annoys me, but it might now make a difference to you.

If it was all the same and I had to do it all over again? I'd order the switch tester, and PROBABLY go with the iKBC or the Shine 6.

If you hesitate buying from mechanicalkeyboards.com, I'd suggest amazon. At least you know they're excellent. If I had to do it all over again, I would suggest one of two (though I REALLY want that Ducky Shine)

First - https://www.amazon.com/Double-Shot-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-K6D75S411003/dp/B01LY7KD7R/ iKBC is FANTASTIC. You get your choice of Cherry switches (I put Cherry and Gateron as the best). PBT doubleshot keycaps are the gold standard. They're the best plastic out there, the most durable, and in many's opinion, the best feeling.

Second - PC Gaming Race. It's what I just bought, and I like it a lot. https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/glorious-modular-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-barebones?utm_campaign=Gateron+Bundle+April+20_58f90033597ed705296b274c&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter#shappify_bundle There's a 20% off bundle going for the next week.

You can change the switches yourself, since it's modular, so if you want browns now, you can get those, and if you want blues later, you can just yank the browns off and replace them. Most other keyboards require soldering to do this. A few downsides: The keycaps are... ok. Just ok. You'd probably want to replace them soon-ish, so you can order PBT caps for $30 and just not spend the $20 for the PCGR caps. In addition, there's no (dedicated) media keys, so volume up/down/mute is Fn + F9-11. Honestly, this annoys me, but it might now make a difference to you.

If it was all the same and I had to do it all over again? I'd order the switch tester, and PROBABLY go with the iKBC or the Shine 6.

Ok thanks and interesting! I never built my own keyboard before so I have no idea what I am doing. Is it easy? I have built my own PC though. This is all new to me with keyboards btw. So sorry if I am a bit overwhelmed. :(

Also what advantage does the Shine 6 have ? I wonder if Amazon or Newegg will have it?

The color of the keyboard itself, and the type of switch. Blue vs black plastic casing (personal preference, I'd go white), and blue vs brown cherry switches.

Thanks the Ducky Shine 6 seems to be difficult to find in The United States too. I found like 2 on Ebay but they ship from Germany.

that site is one of the few (only?) authorized ducky retailers in the US. In fact, if you check the Ducky site for the US tech support website? It's MK.com's phone number.

In all honesty? I'd just go with the iKBC F108. It's such a solid board, and it's a lot cheaper. Plus, it's in stock, and Amazon is Amazon.

that site is one of the few (only?) authorized ducky retailers in the US. In fact, if you check the Ducky site for the US tech support website? It's MK.com's phone number.

In all honesty? I'd just go with the iKBC F108. It's such a solid board, and it's a lot cheaper. Plus, it's in stock, and Amazon is Amazon.

Wow. They don't seem to have good tech support though :(

The biggest advantage of Corsair keyboards over Ducky keyboard would be their 2 year warranty vs 1 year warranty. Though I don't think its that big of a deal.

I just wonder how you get your Ducky keyboard serviced, if you need to, within 1 year or less?

MK.com does the repairs as well. Even out of warranty (for a charge).

Oh. I not sure how comfortable I feel about that. I been reading horror stories of Ducky keyboard RMA having to be sent back to the factory in Taiwan. :(

Eh. I wouldn't worry about that too much. But like I said, if you feel uncomfortable about it, the iKBC is excellent. I'd say right on par with Ducky.

Eh. I wouldn't worry about that too much. But like I said, if you feel uncomfortable about it, the iKBC is excellent. I'd say right on par with Ducky.

Cool. I never heard of iKBC either.

So I got to think about it. Do I have to switch the key caps or whatever they are for the iKBC to be on par with Ducky?

Order up 7 or 8 different ones at once, then try them all out and ship the ones back you don't like.

The keycaps on the Ducky are ABS. They're good, but the PBT on the iKBC are top of the line. The switches are the same, but the Ducky ones are said to be the newer revisions of the MX Blues (only matters if you BUY the blues) and are slightly smoother. When I tell you you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, I'm not joking. It's very, very, VERY minute. It's unnoticable as a first time mech user, let alone an experienced one.

Like I said, go for the iKBC. Enjoy it =)

Every night when I leave work and get on my Deck with browns from this Logitech membrane I feel like I'm in heaven.

I want to try clears as well, but I seriously LOVE my Deck keyboard.

*looks at my keyboard, looks at my game, looks at my keyboard again*

Attachments

• 1bbr8l.jpg
    1bbr8l.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 30
Back