So I take it no DP to hdmi adapter is included?

Astrodave

[H]ard|Gawd
I didn't see anywhere in the review what came in the box so I am assuming that there is no display port to hdmi adapter included in there? Newegg doesn't even sell one as far as I can tell. It seems to be a difficult cable to find. I have only managed to find it at one place online and it's more of an adapter than it is a cable. I would need one for my setup though.

Yeah that was the place I found as well. Even microcenter doesn't carry that adapter. They really should have given an adapter in the box or made sure that newegg had a stock of them. I foresee obtaining this cable being a major issue for a lot of folks who want to do 3 smaller monitors with a larger fourth.

Assuming you're talking about the 5870 here, since you forgot to mention exactly what you're referring to...

...folks who want to do 3 smaller monitors with a larger fourth.
I don't think you can. The AnandTech review says you can't use both DVI ports and the HDMI port at the same time. The [H] article on Eyefinity also mentions that three monitors would be supported at launch.

Assuming you're talking about the 5870 here, since you forgot to mention exactly what you're referring to...

I don't think you can. The AnandTech review says you can't use both DVI ports and the HDMI port at the same time. The [H] article on Eyefinity also mentions that three monitors would be supported at launch.

However, Kyle said in the EyeFinity thread that 3 monitor limit is a software issue and that the hardware support is there for more than that.

Last edited:
I'm also interested in this, since I would like to run my bigscreen off HDMI, and eyefinity off the two dvi and single dp

However, Kyle said in the EyeFinity thread that 3 monitor limit is a support issue and that the hardware support is there for more than that.

The hardware support isn't there on the 5870...the card only has enough TMDS transmitters for two DVI/HDMI outputs, no more.

Hmm, good to know. This card won't work for me then. I might look into the 6 port version in a few months. By then hopefully the bugs will be worked out of the drivers anyway.

The GPU supports, internally, 6 displays. The card output max resolution support is 3x 2560x1600.

Thanks Brent but that doesn't really tell me much. Are you saying that it will or won't support 4 displays as long as they aren't 30"ers? I have 3x19" and 1x28". The 3 19" are DVI and the 28" is HDMI. Thanks. I might be tempted to try this card if I can ditch my triplehead but the performance increases from my current 285 to the 5870 aren't really worth it for the few games I play.

My understanding from reading many reviews is that it's max 3 displays. (currently released HD 5870 & HD 5850 models)

Combinations are

DVI + DVI + DP

or

DVI + HDMI + DP

Also I read that above resolutions 1080 x 1920 when using a DP to DVI adapter you might/need not sure an active (powered) DP to DVI adapter similar to one used by apple for their 30" displays that uses and additional USB for some 5v juice.

I've ordered a passive DP to DVI adapter since I'm only adding a 22" 1680x1050 for use with the DP.

Last edited:
Thanks Brent but that doesn't really tell me much. Are you saying that it will or won't support 4 displays as long as they aren't 30"ers? I have 3x19" and 1x28". The 3 19" are DVI and the 28" is HDMI. Thanks. I might be tempted to try this card if I can ditch my triplehead but the performance increases from my current 285 to the 5870 aren't really worth it for the few games I play.

One of your displays needs to have a Displayport input if you want to run 3 monitors according to my understanding.

So you can use 2x DVI + 1x Displayport. DVI to HDMI converters are pretty common. Or just use 1 DVI + 1 HDMI + 1 Displayport.

See the outputs here:
14-102-856-01.jpg

Your final option is to purchase a Displayport to DVI converter. Such as this one.
15-158-138-03.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=displayport_to_dvi-_-15-158-138-_-Product

I'll wait for the eyefinity6 and see what the pricepoint is on that puppy. I need my 4 monitors and the little extra in performance the 5870 would give me over my 285 doesn't justify the cost if eyefinity won't work for me.

I'll wait for the eyefinity6 and see what the pricepoint is on that puppy. I need my 4 monitors and the little extra in performance the 5870 would give me over my 285 doesn't justify the cost if eyefinity won't work for me.

It will work on a standard 5870 but I believe for only up to 3 monitors. You might as well wait for the Eyefinity edition if you want 4+ monitors but I think you'll still have to buy some adapters.

I NEED 4 monitors so I will HAVE to wait for eyefinity6. From what I have read in this thread there is no adapter out there or combination of connections that will allow this card to output to more than 3 monitors. I would still have to use my TH2G to do that which doesn't justify the cost to me. The 285 is tearing up all my games already anyway. I just was interested in tech demoing the 5870 but it appears that it won't work for my needs.

Apparently im a little behind on my tech because I have never heard of a device that uses a displayport. That being said, what products is it used for? Does it have any benefits over HDMI/DVI? That displayport to DVI cable seems quite expensive for such a little cable, but I guess if you can afford three monitors then you can probably afford this cable.

Apparently im a little behind on my tech because I have never heard of a device that uses a displayport. That being said, what products is it used for? Does it have any benefits over HDMI/DVI? That displayport to DVI cable seems quite expensive for such a little cable, but I guess if you can afford three monitors then you can probably afford this cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

It has been out since 2006? Why is it not used in more devices? That article says that it is a direct competitor to the HDMI connector, but is it any better or worse? What other devices use this connector? Ugh sorry, didnt mean to hijack this thread I was just curious.

It has been out since 2006? Why is it not used in more devices? That article says that it is a direct competitor to the HDMI connector, but is it any better or worse? What other devices use this connector? Ugh sorry, didnt mean to hijack this thread I was just curious.

As far as I know most newer monitors come with a displayport connection (My 1.5 yr old monitor has one). AMD is probably assuming that most people who are going to use 3 or 6 screens will be buying new ones. I don't know about technical advantages over HDMI, but DP doesn't have the licensing costs and restrictions that HDMI has.

Ok thanks, appreciate the information. I am going to have to do some research and see if there are any benefits to a displayport compared to an HDMI port.

Back