So I recieved a Mediasonic RAID box instead of JBOD box

All-Or-Nothing

Weaksauce
I currently run Flexraid on my media collection. I ordered another Mediasonic USB 3.0 4 bay but instead I recieved a RAID 4 bay enclosure.

Is there a way to still use this or am I stuck with mailing it back for the correct enclosure???

Seems a lot easier to plug it in and see what FlexRAID has to say about it than to solve the $20 shipping riddle analytically and via the help of the hivemind, but you'll probably have more fun doing it your way. :D

(On the other hand, did they send you the $249 model instead of the $169 model? )

Last edited:
Seems a lot easier to plug it in and see what FlexRAID has to say about it than to solve the $8 shipping riddle analytically with the help of the hivemind, but you'll probably have more fun doing it your way. :D

(On the other hand, did they send you the $249 model instead of the $169 model? )

Yes it was the $249 model. I actually only paid $99 plus around $10 for shipping.

Score!
Srsly, I'd call the etailer to clear my conscience before I kept it. I did that over a set of headphones. I still have the Senns I paid $35 for, and no one's ballz were busted in the process.

Regardless, I bet Flex will let you span across the ProRAID if you have to. And if the HFR2 just won't do what you need, in the longer term it could be like getting a 2TB mirror for the cost of a single new disk. It's a nice looking little box. I'd be looking for a way to keep it if I could. :D

Last edited:
On the Mediasonic you can also set it JBOD which will show up as one big drive, which your system should be able to use.

With the MediaSonic RAID enclosure you must use a RAID mode. No passthrough. I would return since the only way you can read the smart data is through the jmicron software and you would have to install that ontop of what your already running and its just not worth it. It also dose not lead you read all SMART values. It sucks having to wait but they should cover the cost of shipping.

With the MediaSonic RAID enclosure you must use a RAID mode. No passthrough. I would return since the only way you can read the smart data is through the jmicron software and you would have to install that ontop of what your already running and its just not worth it. It also dose not lead you read all SMART values. It sucks having to wait but they should cover the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the response. Talked a co-worker into thinking he "Needed" it and sold it to him. Not going to order another one as I have a Norco 4020 I picked up for a steal and will try to migrate all my drives to that.

Also All-Or-Nothing It is an awesome enclosure if you need an external RAID enclosure that is Plug and Play. Im sure someone can mod the app under windows to send out SMART status VIA email which it dose not do. I am not a pro yet at reading smart values and doing my self weekly would seem like everything is fine but i ran the drives individually on HD Tune as It tells you what is a "bad" value and this whole time I thought i had perfect drives when I have one with signs of future failure. And ofcourse you would want the earliest heads up which this unit and software did not provide. I have 2 of the 4-bay RAID enclosures, 1-8 bay RAID enclosure and 1-4bay Enclosure for pass-through on ESATA in Nas4Free which gives me all the values and I never had a problem and have nothing bad to say about any enclosure.

Heres a screen shot of the software
JMicron_zps9772b373.png

Back