So I picked up an Xbox Elite today...

entropism

2[H]4U
And I got a god damned Zephyr. Are you kidding me?!? Manufacturing date was 8-17-08, I figured I had a Jasper. Team and Lot # seemed to indicate it as well. Got home and it's 16.5A on the brick, and the connector is definitely v2. Going to have to play the return game tomorrow. =(

ouch man, that sucks.

I just recently bough a 360 Elite too, and it was a Jasper. Guess i was lucky or something.

Good Luck!

EDIT: This is totally wrong... skip it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, the Zypher models aren't that bad, as the GPU is shrunk...

However, everything is better then the Falcon version!

Last edited:
Tech, the date looked good, the Lot and Team looked good, I couldn't dig through each one to find a Jasper with the amperage listing though, because Sears brings them out from their storage to you.

Jeremyshaw, I thought the Falcons were a lot better than the Zephyrs, and only slightly under the Jaspers?

honestly WTF

i have two 360's one of them is most certainly a first version (year after launch), the other one is an elite, about a year old. Both are dependable as fuck, what the hell is the point in returning an xbox before even trying it? you do know you have a three year warrantee for RRODs now dont you?

what really pisses me of though are the people who heard they had a 3 tear warrantee and then just abused that by towel-wrapping their perfectly good xbox...

honestly WTF

i have two 360's one of them is most certainly a first version (year after launch), the other one is an elite, about a year old. Both are dependable as fuck, what the hell is the point in returning an xbox before even trying it? you do know you have a three year warrantee for RRODs now dont you?

I don't blame the OP for wanting to return the unit he just bought, in the hopes of getting a Jasper. I'm on my third 360, which I bought maybe two months ago. I can't remember when I bought my first 360, but it was maybe 9 to 12 months after the system originally launched. It died in less then three months. I was able to do a swap at Best Buy (where I got it from) and that 360 was reliable until a couple months ago. So I sent that in for repairs, bought an arcade unit that was a Jasper, and when I got the repaired system back I sold it. I just kept my hard drive for the arcade.

Anyway, I made sure I had a Jasper, because I'm hoping to avoid having to send another console in and wait almost two weeks to get it back. Is it nice there's a three year warranty? Hell yeah. Should you have to deal with using that warranty multiple times? Hell no. If there's a more reliable hardware version on the store shelf why settle for another/lesser system that is more likely to break?

Last edited:
Maaaaaaaaaaaan I don't want to hear this today. My 360 went RROD last night she lasted since a month after launch. I guess I cant complain she survived through many many long nights of gaming and Netflix streaming.

Where did you buy your new one? I've been researching the shit out of how to ID a Jasper.

Well, the Zypher models aren't that bad, as the GPU is shrunk...

However, everything is better then the Falcon version!

You have that reversed. Falcons came out after the Zypher with the reduced chip. Falcons are good, Jaspers are best. Zypher's are garbage.

Early Elite models shipped using the Zephyr motherboard, though later models used the Falcon 65 nm chipset instead.

I'm sorry for messing that up! I seriously remembered otherwise.

Sorry, I'll edit my first post.
Thank you entropism and Bogie_19th for call me out! False data is worse then no data.

My Zephyr unit from the year after launch finally died about 10 days ago. I too replaced it with an Elite but I picked up a jasper.

Best place to get them imo is Best Buy. They have them sitting out on the shelf for the most part so you can sort through them to find a 12.1v and be sure before you even leave the store.

There was no way buying my new one that I was getting anything other than a Jasper and I don't blame anyone else for being the same way.

While my Zephyr lasted me 2 years and 9 months, a lot of them don't, and its not a risk I'd be willing to take even with the "ship it to Microsoft and wait for weeks and then pray" warranty.

So in short: Try Best Buy if Sears won't let you check before you buy.

Also: http://giftguide.toptenreviews.com/?p=2721 in case anyone was wondering.

My Zephyr unit from the year after launch finally died about 10 days ago. I too replaced it with an Elite but I picked up a jasper.

Best place to get them imo is Best Buy. They have them sitting out on the shelf for the most part so you can sort through them to find a 12.1v and be sure before you even leave the store.

There was no way buying my new one that I was getting anything other than a Jasper and I don't blame anyone else for being the same way.

While my Zephyr lasted me 2 years and 9 months, a lot of them don't, and its not a risk I'd be willing to take even with the "ship it to Microsoft and wait for weeks and then pray" warranty.

So in short: Try Best Buy if Sears won't let you check before you buy.

Target will let you check, too.
Where we live they are out on the shelves, but in LA.... they weren't.

I'm sorry for messing that up! I seriously remembered otherwise.

Sorry, I'll edit my first post.
Thank you entropism and Bogie_19th for call me out! False data is worse then no data.

Your first post is still not correct. ;)

Just got back from pissing off a best buy a walmart and a target each had a handfull of 360s. Bb got a manager to help me inspect the 2 they had walmart had 1 target was out of em.

Game stop had 6 the 2 guys working didn't know what a jasper was. After I explained the guys helped me look turns out all their arcade are jaspers. So try gs.

Gl op
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

honestly WTF

what really pisses me of though are the people who heard they had a 3 tear warrantee and then just abused that by towel-wrapping their perfectly good xbox...
you're one of the lucky ones. i went through 5.

When I bought my xbox about 5 months ago, they basically said there aren't any jasper elites yet, only zephyrs and falcons. Dunno about now though.

When I bought my xbox about 5 months ago, they basically said there aren't any jasper elites yet, only zephyrs and falcons. Dunno about now though.

Jasper elites are definately out because I have one, like I said.

Make sure its a jasper man, I'm on my fifth 360 now since i have had 4 rrod on me, I have a jasper now and I have had 10 hour gaming days on my days of and the exhaust is warm but not scorching like my older one u could could damn eggs with it.

I have had 2 RROD on me and given the track records for repair, I just replaced them both with arcade units and then sent them in for repair as backup is the arcades fail.

Build quality on the jaspers sucks though.......

And I got a god damned Zephyr. Are you kidding me?!? Manufacturing date was 8-17-08, I figured I had a Jasper. Team and Lot # seemed to indicate it as well. Got home and it's 16.5A on the brick, and the connector is definitely v2. Going to have to play the return game tomorrow. =(

someone pulled a switch on you or they have not been selling them well at all Zypher has been out of production for some time now so I do not know how a store could have invintory that is 1+ year old........

someone pulled a switch on you or they have not been selling them well at all Zypher has been out of production for some time now so I do not know how a store could have invintory that is 1+ year old........

Easy, it's Sears!

Seriously OP, exchange that sucker. I had a Zephyr that lasted a little over a year and then went RROD. Once it does that, you end up on the carousel of fixed/broken 360's MS sends back to you. Mine was babied too, no extended gaming sessions, no streaming, just an hour or so here and there and a month after the warranty is up (warranty for everything else, not the RROD), it red ringed on me. Pissed me off too.

I've now got an Arcade Jasper (with my original 20gb HD) and it's much cooler and quieter running than my Zephyr was.

Well, my two local sears are OOS now (I got and returned the last one from each), and I have 30 days to do an exchange. Guess where I'm going on day 29?

Maaaaaaaaaaaan I don't want to hear this today. My 360 went RROD last night she lasted since a month after launch. I guess I cant complain she survived through many many long nights of gaming and Netflix streaming.

Dude, I got my xbox 360 the christmas the year it came out. Lasted 2 YEARS before it got the first RRODs. That was March this year, sent it away, got it back two weeks later and haven't had any problems since.

Make sure its a jasper man, I'm on my fifth 360 now since i have had 4 rrod on me, I have a jasper now and I have had 10 hour gaming days on my days of and the exhaust is warm but not scorching like my older one u could could damn eggs with it.

Just keep the box flat and have alot of open air flow running underneath and play less than 6 hours a day and you'll be fine. Honestly, the 360 may have had flaws, but the only reason why the box's started dropping like flies was because people would play them non-stop.

I would definitely suggest getting them from Best Buy and pay the extra 2 year store warranty. That way you dont have to go thru MS to get it replaced. Just take it back to BB and ask them to switch the HDD. The most you would pay is just to get the 2 year warranty updated with the new unit. In and out in about 30 mins with your new 360.

Just keep the box flat and have alot of open air flow running underneath and play less than 6 hours a day and you'll be fine. Honestly, the 360 may have had flaws, but the only reason why the box's started dropping like flies was because people would play them non-stop.

Funny you should say that, I feel the same way. I have mine elevated on 4 spare sockets from my socket wrench set. One for each lil rubber foot of the 360. I also have a fan I turn on that blows into the side of the unit when I play it.

Last edited:
Ive had three Xbox's now.... the first two were Zephyr chips, the first one died 1 week in, the second died the same day I brought it home.... Ive had my Jasper chip for 2 months now, works fine for me so far...

Dude, I got my xbox 360 the christmas the year it came out. Lasted 2 YEARS before it got the first RRODs. That was March this year, sent it away, got it back two weeks later and haven't had any problems since.

most of my friends with rrod 360s are older casual gamers that are lucky to get in 4 hours of gaming a week. they certainly were not busting out 14 hour gaming session with the 360 sitting on a shag carpet and surrounded by boxes or anything.

regardless, the 360 designed to play games. playing it non stop should never be a problem or excuse for rrods. hardware designers need to anticipate that people can and will use these in less than ideal operating conditions.

If you get an elite and its the one that doesn't come with an hdmi cable it should be a jasper. Ive had a falcon for about a year now with no problems.

*sigh* Not only am I stuck with a second Zephyr, but now my brand new TV died. Sears will be delivering a new 52" Aquos tomorrow. Seriously, WTF?

*sigh* Not only am I stuck with a second Zephyr, but now my brand new TV died. Sears will be delivering a new 52" Aquos tomorrow. Seriously, WTF?

that's some terrible luck!

I picked up an Elite from BestBuy on Saturday and it's a Jasper

that's some terrible luck!

Terrible luck got worse... My delivery today was cancelled, because of morons in the shipping department. Here's the rundown:

When my set was delivered, they sent me the wrong model. When i called to have them redeliver, they offered me $200 in gift cards to keep the wrong set, which I did. Now, apparently, nobody told me that if I took that option, I was accepting the TV AS IS, with NO WARRANTY. I'm getting this straigtened out, but holy crap... F SEARS.

Terrible luck got worse... My delivery today was cancelled, because of morons in the shipping department. Here's the rundown:

When my set was delivered, they sent me the wrong model. When i called to have them redeliver, they offered me $200 in gift cards to keep the wrong set, which I did. Now, apparently, nobody told me that if I took that option, I was accepting the TV AS IS, with NO WARRANTY. I'm getting this straigtened out, but holy crap... F SEARS.

Its all karma from wanting to return a new 360 Elite less than a day after you got it home, when you could have pretty easily figured out it was not what you wanted before leaving the store. Now you are morphing into a consumer drama queen :p

Its all karma from wanting to return a new 360 Elite less than a day after you got it home, when you could have pretty easily figured out it was not what you wanted before leaving the store. Now you are morphing into a consumer drama queen :p

Actually, no, but thanks for trying. You have to purchase the system, then go to another department and have them bring it out from storage. If you want a different one, you have to go back to the original department, exchange it, and go back to the merch pickup area.

Hell, I was fine getting a Falcon OR a Jasper, so I thought nothing of it, until I got home and found out it was a Zephyr.

Actually, no, but thanks for trying. You have to purchase the system, then go to another department and have them bring it out from storage. If you want a different one, you have to go back to the original department, exchange it, and go back to the merch pickup area.

Hell, I was fine getting a Falcon OR a Jasper, so I thought nothing of it, until I got home and found out it was a Zephyr.

if any of this was a big deal for you, I highly suspect that sears is not the only store in you area that sells consoles.

And as I mentioned, I got a $200 gift card to sears, which was the entire reason I picked up the console in the first place. Not sure why this seems to be annoying you so much?

Back