So I picked up a blue and white the other day.

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
So I went to a surplus sale the other day and got a blue and white g3 for 10 bucks. Almost had 2 more but someone grabbed them before I could. It is a g3 450(fastest stock speed it could be) decked out with scsi 2 hardware. I went ahead and dropped a radeon 7000 32 meg pci card in it and added all the extra ram I had lying around(896) as well as dropped in a ide hard drive and remove the old scsi. With the video card the system seems to run pretty good considering how old the system is(osx did not like the rage that was in it). I'm thinking of giving this sucker to a friend as a internet surfing machine or something but was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to pick up a cheap upgrade card for it. I can pick up a 1 ghz g3 upgrade for like 200 new but was wondering about a used card somewhere. Didn't really see them on ebay. I just want to give it a little bit of a speed bump.

Yea thats one of the places I looked when I was talking about the 200 dollar upgrade card. I still may do it as I figure the machine will be pretty good for normal use with that in it but was hoping for something a little cheaper.

I was looking into overclocking but it looks like few hit even 500mhz when this system stock is a 450. Mind you most are not the 450 on that site but it seems like 50 mhz is the standard overclock. I may do it for the time being but still think I'll end up trying to find a cheap upgrade card.

Black Morty Rackham said:
If you're only looking to gain 50MHz, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Yea 50 or so MHz is all most people were getting it looked like out of any(ie 350 to 400) so I figure the best bet is an proc upgrade. I see like a g4 600 mhz and a 1ghz g3 upgrade for both around 200 bucks. I figure I'll prob go for the g3 unless I really think the altevec will make that much of a difference.

My blue & white G3 went from 300 to 400MHz, and my brother managed to overclock his from 300 to 450...

And the G4 really is faster than the G3.

Is it 400 MHz worth of faster though? The 600 MHz g4 has a meg of cahce(which is nice) and will support the 100 fsb on the blue and white(which many of the upgrades do not). It's cahce runs at 250 MHz. The 1 GHz g3 upgrade has a meg of cahce that runs at full speed(1GHz). I'm wondering if the g4's altavec would really be able to make up for the difference?

I guess it depends on what you do with the machine. Just surfing is probably faster on the G3, but Photoshop is probably faster on a 600MHz G4 than on a 1GHz g3.

Back