So I just got my TRUE for my Q6600

Avalanche

Pendleton - Learn It, Live It, Know It
And I just installed it last night. However, I noticed that my idle temps sit at 40*C all the time. But good news is that it doesn't go over 50*C after being prime95 tested for 4 hours. Still the idle seems high especially when i've heard of people getting idle temps in the 20's.

Ambient temp in the room right now is 74*F.

Should I just try a remount? The method I used for thermal paste was putting a dab of TIM a wee bit smaller than a grain of rice on the CPU, then mount the TRUE.

q6600 is stock speed for the summer.

overclocked?

my zalman 9700nt keeps my Q6600 at 30 idle and 40-44 load. ur temps seem rather high

what fan are you using ?

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 1600RPM

What is the vcore of your processor?

Should have put this on the first post, my bad.
cpuz.jpg

overclocked?

my zalman 9700nt keeps my Q6600 at 30 idle and 40-44 load. ur temps seem rather high

Nope. Put it back at stock speed for the summer like the original post says.

What kind of Airflow do you have in you case? Positive or Negative Pressure?

In my LIAN LI PC-A70B, i had to put two more 120mm fans in the top.(4 total intake)
That dropped my temps down abut 10C.

In my CoolerMaster cases I was getting around 56C full load on a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz.

What speed is the fan running? Is it being throttled by the motherboard?

Temps should definitely be a lot lower.. especially at stock speeds.

See sig... never goes above 60-61c when all 4 cores are fully loaded.

Listing temps for the CPU without telling us what program you are using is nearly useless. Since all temps from the Core2s are inferrerd from the digital sensors in the CPU cores, there's no standard to go by. Intel does not put an actual thermometer in the CPUs.

If your temps aren't going over 50C when running Prime95, that cooler is doing a great job. What's really important is your distance to TJmax. If you look into temperature methodology and measurement for these processors, you'll find out that the minimum temperatures reported by software are often wrong. This is due to the nature of the digital sensor built into the chips. It was meant to measure the distance to the thermal junction maximum where the CPU goes into overheated mode and eventually shuts down the CPU to avoid damage. It wasn't meant to tell actual temps and especially not minimum temps.

Depending on the program used to "infer" the actual temp, it might be way off, and will not be as accurate at lower temps. Add to this the fact that many of Intel's digital sensors "stick" at low CPU temps and stop reporting anything under a certain amount, usually around 40C CPU temp.

Programs like RealTemp allow you to set the inferred actual idle temp of the CPU by running some tests to see if your reported temps equal ambient temp and adjusting your displayed temps accordingly.

Worrying about what other people idle at without them giving you their temp program used or their methods used to determine their min/max temps is pretty worthless.

Back