So I just bought Sonic Generations....... for PC

You guys make it sound like this Sonic game is the best one ever. Yea there has been some shitty sonic games, but for the most part this game is not without flaws.

No Choas Emerald stages, no mini boss battles each stage etc were some of the best things about old sonic games.
It's the best Sonic game in 17 years. I'd say that's worth some praise.

No, I played both of the Sonic Adventure games. Generations is better.

No it isn't and I can find a bunch of sources to disagree:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-generations

http://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/sonic-adventure-2

The meta critic of Sonic Adventure for the DC is removed.

http://seganeptuneblog.com/2011/02/20/metacritic-removes-sonic-adventure-dreamcast-listing-why/

But generally it was a 9 out of 10 game whereas Generations is around a 7 or 8.

No it isn't and I can find a bunch of sources to disagree:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-generations

http://www.metacritic.com/game/dreamcast/sonic-adventure-2

The meta critic of Sonic Adventure for the DC is removed.

http://seganeptuneblog.com/2011/02/20/metacritic-removes-sonic-adventure-dreamcast-listing-why/

But generally it was a 9 out of 10 game whereas Generations is around a 7 or 8.
I think you misunderstood the part where I was giving my opinion, rather than taking aggregate review scores as some kind of gospel like you are doing.

It was also a dreamcast launch title.. launch titles featuring a mascot character typically get more of a free pass than later non-launch titles in terms of review scores.

At any rate, regardless of which game is better.. generations is a good game, and the PC version is excellent.. sonic at a blazing 60 fps in 3D is a sight to behold..

I think you misunderstood the part where I was giving my opinion, rather than taking aggregate review scores as some kind of gospel like you are doing.

I think you missed the part where you disagreed with my opinion saying that Sonic Adventures is better only for you to say Generations to better with me saying "hey look there is a number of well known critics that disagree with you.

It is called an argument. It is like trying to say that Halloween H20 is a great movie when I can show you aggregate reviews that say it is shit.

Would you like me to find people who played Generations and who played the Sonic Adventure titles to compare?

By the way Sonic Adventure 2 got a higher review score and that was far from a launch title.

Sonic Generations is good, but it is no way a great game.

Ill take Sonic Generations over Adventure any day. What makes the game great is classic Sonic and the classic levels. Some of the levels are pretty amazing. That and you can always make feel even more classic since the game lets you select whatever music you want from the classic games.

Bought it on Steam, I think it was $29.99. Well worth it. I've been a Sonic fanb o y since the first game and as such I'm a huge fan of the classic gameplay style. This game totally does classic Sonic justice. All the little extra bonuses and goodies you can win are awesome, too. I'm extremely satisfied with Generations - in fact, I consider it one of the best Sonic games ever made.

Its damn good. I felt like a little kid again playing the classic themed levels.

My desktop is setup on triple monitors for surround and I switch to a Acer 5360 3d projector for movies and directv2pc.

I will tell you that a 120" screen with a xbox controller and 3d vision turned on for the 3d themed sonic levels is amazing. It is like a roller coaster ride.

I think you missed the part where you disagreed with my opinion saying that Sonic Adventures is better only for you to say Generations to better with me saying "hey look there is a number of well known critics that disagree with you.

It is called an argument. It is like trying to say that Halloween H20 is a great movie when I can show you aggregate reviews that say it is shit.

The problem with the review scores from a decade ago is that they are taken out of context. Sonic Adventure wouldn't be getting such high scores if it was released today.

The Metacritic score for the 360 re-release of Adventure is a 48 out of 100 (7.3 user score). The Metacritic score for Generations on 360 is 78 out of 100 (8.4) user score.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-adventure

It's the old games remixed that has me for this. The 3D Sonic games are all utter crap IMO, and that's from a Sega fanboy who paid big money for Adventure 1 on Japanese DC import. Controls were shoddy and you ended up humping a wall more often than not. Sonic has, and always will be best on a 2D plane and Sega have nailed that here.

Sonic 4, your controls fail can now be buried and forgotton....

The problem with the review scores from a decade ago is that they are taken out of context. Sonic Adventure wouldn't be getting such high scores if it was released today.

The Metacritic score for the 360 re-release of Adventure is a 48 out of 100 (7.3 user score). The Metacritic score for Generations on 360 is 78 out of 100 (8.4) user score.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-adventure

So with your example Sonic 1+2+3/S+N would get shit reviews today for the following reasons.

- Not enough replay value
- Graphics suck
- Only single player

Still I think most people would agree that Sonic 1+2+3 etc are time less games. Games that can be played over an over again. I felt nothing a long the lines with Generations.

So with your example Sonic 1+2+3/S+N would get shit reviews today for the following reasons.

- Not enough replay value
- Graphics suck
- Only single player

Still I think most people would agree that Sonic 1+2+3 etc are time less games. Games that can be played over an over again. I felt nothing a long the lines with Generations.
Actually, both Sonic 2 and 3+N have multiplayer, and they have great 2D graphics (which hold up much better than the 3D graphics in the Adventure games). The problems with the Sonic Adventures are mainly camera, control, and collision problems, and those are functionality problems that don't exist in the original 2D games, which had great controls and gameplay.

I had porblems with Sonic 3 and Sonic and Kunckles, not because of graphics, but because the controls are so loose. And Sonic Adventure if you have your refresh set to 120hz, the game played at double speed which is a fast way to make anyone sick (donno if they patched it or not). They were all still good games, even if some like Sonic 3 were released incomplete. I have one issue with Generations and that is no clear line where to go and what to do, the over world bites, but the game itself is still very fun (liked the Sonic Adventure over world).

Timeless doesn't mean that other games aren't better and can't be compared on an even field - especially if they are in the same genre. Since Generations is basically "me too" segments of Sonic 1/2/3 combined with "me too" segments from Adventure it makes perfect sense to compare it directly to those games.

Also, these statements contradict each other,
"Not enough replay value" ... "Games that can be played over an over again."

Timeless doesn't mean that other games aren't better and can't be compared on an even field - especially if they are in the same genre. Since Generations is basically "me too" segments of Sonic 1/2/3 combined with "me too" segments from Adventure it makes perfect sense to compare it directly to those games.

Also, these statements contradict each other,
"Not enough replay value" ... "Games that can be played over an over again."

You took my post out of context

Read it again.

If you read through my post you would see that I said "reviewers would subtract points from Sonic 3 if it was made today because of things like not enough replay value"

I went on to say that I felt that games like Sonic 1+2+3 had an endless amount of replay value because generally they are games that people 20 years later long for and still pick up and play from time to time.

Part of that reason is the Choas Emeralds are so difficult to obtain in the first play through.

That play element is removed. You can beat Generations in about 10 hours and even then you can spend the upgraded points to buy Super Sonic. The rest of the challenges in my opinion become meaningless unless you are an achievement whore.

There are no mini boss stages and the rival stages do nothing to add game play. It would be nice if they split it up so that in each stage you did face Metal Sonic, Shadow etc like Sonic Adventure and games of old.

By the way camera problems are still there in Generations. They just aren't as bad as the Sonic game on XB360.

Read it again.

Done - I'm not sure I understand your distinction. I think you might be trying to argue that "replay value" is the number of new things to do each time you play the game. I'm arguing that a game's replay value is based on how badly people actually want to replay it. Therefore if it's a game "that can be played over an over again" that means people want to replay it, and if people want to replay it "over and over" it has a high replay value.

I played Sonic Adventure (when it came out on the Gamecube) and I only finished playing through it once. I started a second play-through to collect everything, but I wasn't having fun anymore so I stopped - it didn't matter that there was stuff I could do because I didn't want to do any of it. Sonic Adventure has less replay value than 1/2/3 even though there was more stuff to do.

You're already bored with Generations but you haven't run out of stuff to do. It obviously has low replay value. I haven't played the full game of Generations, but it doesn't seem to have as much replay value as 1/2/3 due to the lack of chaos emerald mini games and bosses.

sigh why couldnt they spend 10min to add at least the sonic 2 chaos emerald levels...you know..the one where youre running down a tube thing dodging bombs

sigh why couldnt they spend 10min to add at least the sonic 2 chaos emerald levels...you know..the one where youre running down a tube thing dodging bombs

Sonic 2 was the worst emerald levels.

I picked it up on the PS3 /before/ reading this thread - wish I had. Or alternatively go back in time and buy the PC version instead. Its slow as molasses on the PS3 and I frequently get screen lag on the fast bits. That being said though, the nostalgia value is incredible. I almost had goosebumps playing through the classic stages.

Back