So I just blew up a power supply...

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
Apparently an 850w Cooler Master PSU is not enough to run 2 4870x2s in crossfire, an I7 920, and one hard drive. After 3 minutes of Furmark the thing exploded.

The reason I was even running it on that PSU, is because something is wrong with my 1200w silverstone. I can't even run furmark for 5 seconds or the thing shuts down, so I figured I would test on my old psu. Was working great until it exploded. Well, guess I have to RMA the silverstone now.

Shouldn't the PSU shut down instead of blow up? :) Assuming it's a good PSU, of course :p

Pics of the carnage? :)

I think 850W psu would've ran that setup fine, unless if the Cooler Master PSU was over rated like those junk brandless PSUs from taiwan.

What was wrong with the Silverstone?

So your computer has potentially killed a 1200W Silverstone and an 850W Cooler Master? Hrmmmmm??? Do we have a common denominator here?

Oh I know, its the air conditioning in his house, thats the cause....

850W should run that find for testing.

And isn't it an [H] rule if an item explodes and you dawn us with a thread, you must include pictures? I think I read that in the contract when I joined.

Apparently an 850w Cooler Master PSU is not enough to run 2 4870x2s in crossfire, an I7 920, and one hard drive.

What? You mean an 850w PSU can't supply the 600w that two 4870x2s require and the power requirements of the rest of the system? Shocking!

Ok, seriously now - considering that AMD specs the 4870x2 to a maximum of 310w, I am not surprised at all that the 850w PSU can't do the job.

After all, a QX9770 setup idles at around 100w.

It did actually shut down, but when I went to turn it back on, it blew up. :p

Also I doubt the Cooler Master is still under warranty.

Not relevant but a funny memory.
When I worked retail repair years ago I had a guy bring in a power supply. He said that he thought it was dead and asked my opinion. So I plugged in my handy power supply tester and flipped the switch. BOOM!!! it shot a blue flame out the back and blew a capacitor. Then the dumbass looks right at me and said "yea it did the same thing to me". I felt like sticking my foot in is ass. Anyhow I swear when it blew it smelled like peanut butter.

It did actually shut down, but when I went to turn it back on, it blew up. :p

Also I doubt the Cooler Master is still under warranty.

Scary :eek:

Might be worth it to check the warranty on it regardless. This kind of reminds me of the PSU testing here at HardOCP where CPUs are expected to run at 100% for at least a short while. It is something they _should_ be capable of.

Ah well. And still no pics :p

Back