So, I installed madVR last night

FnordMan

[H]ard|Gawd
Holy *bleep* about sums up my reaction after getting everything done and tweaked according to a guide or two I found online.
Have some SD DVD rips* that i've been rewatching, the quality difference is nothing short of amazing.

Though granted it puts my system through the wringer to do it, the 6600k (at 4Ghz) sees 20-30% cpu and the GTX 970 sits around 90-100% usage according to MSI Afterburner.

*Babylon 5: Ripped from DVD, re-encoded with ffmpeg w/ h.264 at CRF20. Pain in the ass comes to mind.

As Morpheus said to Neo, "Welcome to the real world!" :D
Yeah, it was rather surprising how much of a difference it makes. It's not jump out in your face most of the time but there's a ton of subtle differences that all add up.

Thats alot of extra power for SD content... Stairs at his plex server(low end Celeron Haswell chip) and plex client built into his TV

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN :D

Almost obligatory, dammit. Some screenshots with and without madVR in operation, especially some Babylon 5 (I really miss that show, will have to look into acquiring it at some point). Also, links to the guide(s) you followed would prove helpful to people that might be interested in such a setup as well.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN :D

Almost obligatory, dammit. Some screenshots with and without madVR in operation, especially some Babylon 5 (I really miss that show, will have to look into acquiring it at some point). Also, links to the guide(s) you followed would prove helpful to people that might be interested in such a setup as well.
No pics but this is the guide I used. There is one little downside though, I can't use MPC-HC anymore to play my tv recordings. (of which most of them come in at 720p) Must tweak a setting or two.

I ended up changing the rescale settings, only telling it to trigger that bit if it's 2.0x or more so it'll only turn on if i'm viewing SD content.
That's no fun. :p I have 3-5 profiles for several of the categories. They're primarily sorted by resolution and frame rate. Basically, one for DVD res, one for 720p, and one 1080p. I treat 24p and 60p differently in some cases.

Some people on doom9 have like 10+ profiles.

Back