So I have a Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p arriving tomorrow, tips for calibration?

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
So after years of enjoying my Qnix 1440p Korean monitors, was time for a serious upgrade, since I plan on getting a Mid range Pascal card in the next 6 months I got a Gsync monitor, even though I'm currently running R9 290s

My question is of calibration -- I don't have one of those digital colorimeters, so I would just have to rely on posted configs or any other tips for getting a good setup.

I've seen bits and pieces of people using ICC profiles? (not familar with this) and some people using things like the nvidia control panel, was hoping more for some tips getting the monitor hardware itself setup (r g b values) and other sneaky settings that might be buried in the settings menu.

I should get a little taste of Gsync though - my laptop has a 970m with mini-DP out, I might just use that as my primary gaming machine till Pascal hits.

#1: I highly doubt mid-range pascal will give you more performance over 290 CFX.

#2: I know for a fact that a 970m will be slower than 290 CFX

#3: I've always used This page to set up and calibrate TVs and monitors. It's not going to get you to 100% accuracy without professional tools, but you are going to see a HUGE difference in IQ if you walk through the steps in this page.

#1: I highly doubt mid-range pascal will give you more performance over 290 CFX.

#2: I know for a fact that a 970m will be slower than 290 CFX

#3: I've always used This page to set up and calibrate TVs and monitors. It's not going to get you to 100% accuracy without professional tools, but you are going to see a HUGE difference in IQ if you walk through the steps in this page.

Yeah I figured 970m would be slower -- it's only a temporary solution thought so I can get a taste for Gsync while I wait for the x80 Pascal to hit the streets. Hoping for July! Some are saying that the x80 (1080?) GPU should be 20% or so more powerful than the current 980ti.... which if that's the case I'd be more than happy gaming at 1440p :)

And while dual 290's isn't anything to scoff at, most of the games lately I've wanted to play don't take any advantage of Crossfire. Playing "The Division" looks pretty good at 1440p but the 2nd 290 just sits there diddling it's thumbs. No effort it seems from Ubisoft or AMD to get it squared away. My motivation for going back to team green is mostly because I'm just tired of the headache that is crossfire. Either no support, or general poor support, single card solution for me once pascal hits :) The 290 itself is a nice card, don't get me wrong. I realize SLI for nvidia isn't any better since dual GPU setups in general are pretty damn niche.

Thanks for the tip on the calibration images :)

Yeah I figured 970m would be slower -- it's only a temporary solution thought so I can get a taste for Gsync while I wait for the x80 Pascal to hit the streets. Hoping for July! Some are saying that the x80 (1080?) GPU should be 20% or so more powerful than the current 980ti.... which if that's the case I'd be more than happy gaming at 1440p :)

And while dual 290's isn't anything to scoff at, most of the games lately I've wanted to play don't take any advantage of Crossfire. Playing "The Division" looks pretty good at 1440p but the 2nd 290 just sits there diddling it's thumbs. No effort it seems from Ubisoft or AMD to get it squared away. My motivation for going back to team green is mostly because I'm just tired of the headache that is crossfire. Either no support, or general poor support, single card solution for me once pascal hits :) The 290 itself is a nice card, don't get me wrong. I realize SLI for nvidia isn't any better since dual GPU setups in general are pretty damn niche.

Thanks for the tip on the calibration images :)

I am lucky in that every game I seem to be interested in has no issues with MGPU scaling.

Yes, Pascal should be about %20 more powerful per-tier. So the x80(ti or not) will be 120% 980Ti. so mid-range pascal will be %120 a 960 or 970. The 970 is essentially one 290/290X.

Have fun with the monitor, too. I've heard good things about Gsync, never tried it, myself.

I am lucky in that every game I seem to be interested in has no issues with MGPU scaling.

Yes, Pascal should be about %20 more powerful per-tier. So the x80(ti or not) will be 120% 980Ti. so mid-range pascal will be %120 a 960 or 970. The 970 is essentially one 290/290X.

Have fun with the monitor, too. I've heard good things about Gsync, never tried it, myself.

Ahh - I think there was some misunderstanding on my part of what mid-range actually means, I assumed that midrange was the x80 series (non-ti) and that the high end stuff (Big pascal) GP100, was high end. Of course the high end is reserved for titans, enterprise, and later cut down versions make their way into x80Ti's

My target Pascal card would be at minimum an x80 (non ti) as they usually show up sooner than the higher end versions. I have zero interest in getting a x60/x70 as nothing like that would really satisfy my single card 1440p desires.

Back