So I got my XP-90 today...

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
I got my new Thermalright XP-90 in the mail today to replace my stock HSF..yay! I attached my high speed Panaflo and proceeded to take out my mobo (Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 NF4) tray... The instructions explicitly say to use the stock retention plate to attach the new module...however the new module (quad corner clip vs stock 2 clip + arm locking thingy) is threaded for screws whereas the stock module uses a plastic clip system:

stock_retention.jpg

The plastic clips don't fit into the new retention module...nice, right? After 30 minutes of frustration (a.k.a looking for something to rig it with), I found a bag of nuts and bolts and 2 that fit, but were a bit long (you can see they stick out of the retention plate in the pic below). I ended up using the screws with the non threaded stock retention plate, the 2 nuts I found to hold it together, and a bit of electrical tape to avoid contact with the mobo tray.

rigged_xp90.jpg

Did I just happen to pick the one board that doesn't use screws to hold the stock retention module in place or is everybody that owns a S939 board + XP-90 having to do something like this?

my screws just went right into the back retention plate put some thermal paste on there and clipped the bugger in
sounds like ur specific mobo had some troubles

Volkum said:
I got my new Thermalright XP-90 in the mail today to replace my stock HSF..yay! I attached my high speed Panaflo and proceeded to take out my mobo (Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 NF4) tray... The instructions explicitly say to use the stock retention plate to attach the new module...however the new module (quad corner clip vs stock 2 clip + arm locking thingy) is threaded for screws whereas the stock module uses a plastic clip system:

The plastic clips don't fit into the new retention module...nice, right? After 30 minutes of frustration (a.k.a looking for something to rig it with), I found a bag of nuts and bolts and 2 that fit, but were a bit long (you can see they stick out of the retention plate in the pic below). I ended up using the screws with the non threaded stock retention plate, the 2 nuts I found to hold it together, and a bit of electrical tape to avoid contact with the mobo tray.

Did I just happen to pick the one board that doesn't use screws to hold the stock retention module in place or is everybody that owns a S939 board + XP-90 having to do something like this?

Nope, afaik its just us gigabyte owners. +5 points for the electrical tape.

Aaron_ATX said:

Awesomeness. Good news is that my max load temp on 1.55V dropped from 44C to 39C and the AS5 hasn't even broken in yet.

Aaron_ATX said:
Yup, Thermalright says you need to buy the rear backplate because Gigabyte likes to do their own thing.

Back