So I got my new 27" 1440p G-Sync monitor from Dell and...it's behaving strangely

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. So this week, due to fears of continuing QC issues with ASUS' 27" ROG Swift I decided to go a different route with 27", 1440p and G-Sync and went with Dell's S2716DG monitor. I was fortunate upon pickup that it was Revision A03 (because Revisions A00 and A01 of this monitor weren't exactly raved about and everybody who spoke of this monitor said A02 and A03 was the way to go). I also got a custom 6' gold plated Display Port cable (guaranteed to handle at least 4K resolution) with the monitor because the one Dell supplies with the monitor was too short for how my rig is setup at my desk. Or was A03 the sweet spot?

I've gone into 3 different games for testing/shakedown purposes with the monitor with 2 of the games provided strange, abnormal anomaly-like results. Battlefield 4 loaded and played but then after about 6-8 minutes the screen flickered wildly for a few seconds but...recovered in-game. However; then I exited out the game and Battlelog my picture in Windows was blurred horribly and I had to reboot to correct it. Went into Guild Wars 2, spent about 3 minutes in it after adjusting game to 1440p. No problems but I feel if I spent about as much time as I did in BF4 it might've done the same thing. Onto DOOM (2016). Played 5 minutes. As soon as I get into the armor and look at the status screen in the armor room BOOM! Screen goes into power save mode. Had to reboot twice to bring it back. So I changed the cable from the DP input it was in on my GTX 980 to a different DP input (it has 3). Went back into DOOM. Turned off V-Sync. Played another 6-8 minutes. Then...flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker went the monitor and within a few more seconds went back into power save mode and I had to reboot the machine to recover again.

Now outside of gaming (including watching movies and YouTube videos) monitor works flawlessly. Just goes bonkers it seems only when actually gaming. Also cannot enable G-Sync from the nVIDIA Control Panel under Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Vertical Sync option. My next step is to remove the custom Display Port cable and use Dell's provided cable but still I get the feeling there's something wrong with this monitor...real wrong! Wanted to get your thoughts on this though, see if you get the same feeling I have and what everyone thinks on the issue. Thanks in advance for answers and advice on this one and until next time I am out!

So an update on further troubleshooting with my Dell. Firstly I called eVGA to determine the true 1st Display Port input on the back of my GTX 980. A helpful tech named Hudson revealed which port of the 3 is the true 1st Display Port input. Plugged it into that port on the back of my GTX 980. nVIDIA Control Panel now ID's my new Dell S2716DG as a G-Sync monitor ready for configuration. However; while I could enable G-Sync under the Enable G-Sync menu in the nVIDIA Control Panel I still cannot enable Vertical Sync under Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings to use G-Sync. It only gives On, Off, Fast or Use the Application setting. eVGA suggested I clean reinstall the newest nVIDIA Game Ready Driver. Did that tonight. Still the problem persists. Looks like I'll have to make a live chat with Dell happen this weekend. Any ideas that could be causing this and help I would greatly welcome at this point but more and more it's looking like I got a monitor with a faulty G-Sync module. That is all. Thanks. Out!

Unless I'm mistaken (and I think I've read it a few times now), you want V-Sync disabled when using G-Sync.

Have you tried a different cable? That would be my first thought. I know it's not what you want to hear after putting money down for a custom cable, but you need to eliminate that as the issue. Could you tell us who made the cable?

Unless I'm mistaken (and I think I've read it a few times now), you want V-Sync disabled when using G-Sync.

Yeah, I have this monitor and have found that vsync off, gsync on and framerate capped at ~138fps seems to work the best. If you cap at 140-144fps then you get slight/weird tearing, but if you stay just far enough away from the max refresh rate of the monitor then it works wonderfully.

Hi all. Update on this one: it's fixed. So the 1st key was getting the Display Port cable I bought for the monitor into the correct Display Port input on the back of my GTX 980. I've learned you must plug it into (for a G-Sync monitor) the primary input for Display Port on the video card. Once the nVIDIA drivers truly detected it I enabled it, set V-Sync to On in Global Settings under Manage 3D Settings and it's finally working as intended for me. Now you wonder why turn it to On in the nVIDIA Control Panel? On a G-Sync monitor as the nVIDIA Control Panel states, when Vertical Sync to On (as long as it's only in that location) it sets the monitor to 144 Hz (as the monitor is already at 144Hz) and won't let you go any higher. But this allows the framerate to go as high as 144 FPS without issue. That's okay with me because none of my games can reach that frame rate level that I currently play. Also to answer the question about the DisplayPort cable I'm using, it's from a brand called GearIT (they get rave reviews on Amazon). Thanks everyone for your help. Out!

I had the DP cable issue as well- in my case, it was the cable that Acer shipped with my Predator (same specs as the ASUS and Dell mentioned). New cable fixed the problem, wild stuff.

Hi all. Update on this one: it's fixed. So the 1st key was getting the Display Port cable I bought for the monitor into the correct Display Port input on the back of my GTX 980. I've learned you must plug it into (for a G-Sync monitor) the primary input for Display Port on the video card. Once the nVIDIA drivers truly detected it I enabled it, set V-Sync to On in Global Settings under Manage 3D Settings and it's finally working as intended for me. Now you wonder why turn it to On in the nVIDIA Control Panel? On a G-Sync monitor as the nVIDIA Control Panel states, when Vertical Sync to On (as long as it's only in that location) it sets the monitor to 144 Hz (as the monitor is already at 144Hz) and won't let you go any higher. But this allows the framerate to go as high as 144 FPS without issue. That's okay with me because none of my games can reach that frame rate level that I currently play. Also to answer the question about the DisplayPort cable I'm using, it's from a brand called GearIT (they get rave reviews on Amazon). Thanks everyone for your help. Out!
Odd... I've never had issues with which DP output I used on any video card. Maybe the one you were trying to use is bad?

FWIW: The GearIT cables I looked up do not have the DisplayPort or "DP" logo on any of their products, nor do they appear in the list of manufacturers on the DisplayPort website. This would simply mean that they haven't undergone testing to meet the DisplayPort specifications and sell their cables "as-is."

I've had issues twice- I once tried using miniDP to my HP monitor, and that didn't work well at all; those came from Monoprice.

It may be luck of the draw or there may be some specification issue, but DP certainly isn't as 'fire and forget' as we'd like.

The DP port does not matter. Any of them should work exactly the same, provided none are defective obviously.

Second, the Vsync on/off setting with a Gsync monitor simply controls how the monitor behaves if you are exceeding the refresh rate. Vsync off turns off Gsync and Vsync so it will act like a regular monitor with Vsync off (ie FPS can go above refresh and you'll get some tearing) and Vsync on just behaves like Vsync where the FPS caps at refresh.

Back