So I got a Dell Force 10 S60 Switch

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I acquired a Dell Force 10 S60 Switch. I snagged it thinking I could make use of the 10GB sfp ports to hook up to my FreeNAS box via fiberand throw a 10GB card into my Ryzen box so I can get better transfer speeds between the two over my network.

I'm a network noob and seem to be in over my head with configuring this thing.

My current setup is
Cable modem (400/20) > Edgerouter X-sfp >4 POE Ubiquiti AP's/SFP to Netgear 48port switch>3 pc's/FreeNAS/XBOX One

waaaaay overkill stuff .. but I like to learn/play/figure out/screw up things

Anyways, looks like CLI only with the Dell with it's own lingo and I'm just looking to have a pretty simple setup but want to utilize the faster speeds between my rig and my FreeNAS box over my network.

Any S60 guides for Dummies that anybody could point me to? I've been google'ing and found the manuals and what not for it, but .. I need help with the basics of basics. I'd buy a 10gb switch that is easier, but being poor white trash and all .. I'd like to try and make this thing work because ..It's what i have.

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions

I have a Mellanox Connect-X2 that I couldn't get to work in anything; can't say if it was the card or the DAC I was using either. I'd recommend reading up on fiber transceivers and fiber types, and looking for DACs that support your endpoints. Technically this should be fairly easy.

That all said, I did manage to set up a 2x10Gbps trunk between my HP 10Gbit switch and an old Aruba off of Ebay using custom SFP+ DACs from fs.com, which works pretty well. The HP switch is 10GbE copper (RJ45 CAT6A or better) and both work great together. Wound up using Aquantia NICs as those are cheaper for copper than Intel, and they're also what was actually available on higher-end boards. Mostly sharing to say that there's a lot of ways to skin this cat.

Also, a few things I just had to re-learn: you'll want to turn on Jumbo Frames and / or set your MTU to 9014 on all 10Gbit interfaces, and when using iperf to test bandwidth between nodes, make sure to use multiple streams!

got a good starting point ..thanks guys .. and great suggestion on just hooking up to my netgear switch until I get the thing figured out/configured correctly

Back