So I built a new pc...

Looking to get back into the gaming scene. Any recommendations in the genre of fps or rts? Is supreme commander any good? Quake 4? Bf2142? Thanks.

I'm not much for FPS games anymore, but I thought BF2142 was a lot of fun, especially if you have some buddies you can play with.

First Person Shooters
Half-Life 2 and Episode 1
Call of Duty 1 (with United Offensive expansion pack) and Call of Duty 2
Quake 4
Dark Messiah (provided they've worked out the bugs; they ruined the game for me)
Far Cry (although the story really craps out towards the end, I think it's still worth playing)
Counterstrike 1.6 and Source
Doom 3
F.E.A.R. w/expansion
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2
Max Payne 1 and 2 (third person shooters really, but so good)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Serious Sam 1 and 2 (mostly good for LAN Co-op multiplay)
Painkiller (Same as above)
Rainbow Six Vegas
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Chronicles of Riddick
Battlefield 2/2142

Racing (sim or arcade; wheel/gamepad required)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and NFS: Carbon
GTR 1 and 2
GT: Legends
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally 05
DiRT
Trackmania
Flatout 1/2
Live for Speed

RTS or turn based
Civilization 4
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne expansion
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War w/many expansions
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3
Total War series (any of the titles)
Empire Earth

RPG-ish
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Titan Quest (if you liked Diablo)
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Make sure to take advantage of mods like the BT Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2
Dreamfall - The Longest Journey

Miscellaneous
Psychonauts (should be played with a gamepad)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (should be played with a gamepad)
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, 2, 3 (skip the fourth installment; I thought it was abysmal compared to 3)
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas

I'm sure there are plenty I've missed, but if you haven't played any of these titles, they're all worth it. Also, except for a few of these, you'll be able to find most of these titles for cheap.

First Person Shooters
Quake 4
Dark Messiah (provided they've worked out the bugs; they ruined the game for me)
Far Cry (although the story really craps out towards the end, I think it's still worth playing)
Doom 3
F.E.A.R. w/expansion
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Rainbow Six Vegas
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Chronicles of Riddick
Battlefield 2/2142

GTR 1 and 2
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally 05
DiRT
Trackmania
Flatout 1/2
Live for Speed

RTS or turn based
Civilization 4
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3
Empire Earth

RPG-ish
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Make sure to take advantage of mods like the BT Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Miscellaneous
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, 2, 3 (skip the fourth installment; I thought it was abysmal compared to 3)

I'm sure there are plenty I've missed, but if you haven't played any of these titles, they're all worth it. Also, except for a few of these, you'll be able to find most of these titles for cheap.

THIS POST IS 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% FACT AND NOT OPINION AT ALL NOTHING LIKE THAT NO NOT AT ALL READ AS GOSPEL CHEERS OK RIGHT GREAT

THIS POST IS 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% FACT AND NOT OPINION AT ALL NOTHING LIKE THAT NO NOT AT ALL READ AS GOSPEL CHEERS OK RIGHT GREAT

it was a list of suggested titles, not "gospel." I'm pretty sure the OP is capable enough to read reviews on any names he doesn't recognize before purchasing.

I suggest taking Sim City 4 off that list, twas a bad game. :p

heh...as I said, it's up to the OP to read up on reviews before he buys. I didn't think Sim City 4 was bad, but then again I was never an uber-fan of that series.

heh...as I said, it's up to the OP to read up on reviews before he buys. I didn't think Sim City 4 was bad, but then again I was never an uber-fan of that series.

Obviously, it is up to him to decide what he wants. But I think that massive list is beside the point of his question. He asked for suggestions for FPS and RTS games, not a catalog of everything out there.

For FPS's:
Battlefield 2142
F.E.A.R.
Rainbow Six Vegas

RTS:
Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
Supreme Commander
Medieval II: Total War
Company of Heroes

Obviously, it is up to him to decide what he wants. But I think that massive list is beside the point of his question. He asked for suggestions for FPS and RTS games, not a catalog of everything out there.

That's what I was trying to get at, but I wanted to be belligerent with it. Sorry for any confusion.

First Person Shooters
Quake 4
Doom 3
F.E.A.R. w/expansion
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Rainbow Six Vegas
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Chronicles of Riddick
Battlefield 2/2142

GTR 1 and 2
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally 05
DiRT
Trackmania
Flatout 1/2
Live for Speed

RTS or turn based
Civilization 4
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3
Empire Earth

RPG-ish
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Miscellaneous

A very exceptional and excellent list that seems to read my mind with the exceptions of a few titles... I would seriously considering adding Dawn of War: Dark Crusade to the RTS section, and Fable: The Lost Chapters to the RPG section as it was superbly and uncommonly enjoyable. I would add Tribes: Vengeance to the FPS category as it was superb fun and truly unique, and Unreal II: The Awakening also to FPS as I stumbled on it one day and it turned out to be an extremely under-rated gem of an FPS game.

Aside from those, its like you read my mind.

Lastly, if you are a fan of realistic FPS style war-fighting, and a serious masochist, then try GRAW. Fun to play, but painfully and unnecessarily hard. Which while pissing you off to no end, actually does bring a great deal of thumb-in-your-eye satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment for finishing it or even a single level in it.

I would also post objections to GTA games resembling any quality... I dont know, to me they look and play like garbage.

A very exceptional and excellent list that seems to read my mind with the exceptions of a few titles... I would seriously considering adding Dawn of War: Dark Crusade to the RTS section, and Fable: The Lost Chapters to the RPG section as it was superbly and uncommonly enjoyable. I would add Tribes: Vengeance to the FPS category as it was superb fun and truly unique, and Unreal II: The Awakening also to FPS as I stumbled on it one day and it turned out to be an extremely under-rated gem of an FPS game.

Aside from those, its like you read my mind.

Lastly, if you are a fan of realistic FPS style war-fighting, and a serious masochist, then try GRAW. Fun to play, but painfully and unnecessarily hard. Which while pissing you off to no end, actually does bring a great deal of thumb-in-your-eye satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment for finishing it or even a single level in it.

I would also post objections to GTA games resembling any quality... I dont know, to me they look and play like garbage.

Only if you were apart of the [H] forums when Unreal 2 came out... everyone thought it kinda sucked. I liked it and just recently replayed through it on my 7800GT... Looks a lot better than when I first played it on my GF3Ti500 :)

Back