So I bought Windows 7 oem from royal discount

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
and to my surprise is dell version oem 64bit.

What does this mean for me? Does it mean it has bloat ware or that it will only activate on dell machines?

I can't believe this crap. I bought it cause it was 80 bucks. It never said it was dell either

From looking around online it looks like OED dell windows have to be on a dell PC. It will look for something in the bios.

I'm screwed i think

After doing some googling I think you're right. I know I've used HP OEM keys before without issue, but that has been a few years.

Yep.

I emailed Royal Discount for a rma to return and a refund so I'll see what happens. In the meantime I ordered off of newegg just now.

Man this SUCKS

Thanks

and you didn't give it a try, because...

Cause i can't be screwed. i have to have it built by xmas and i don't get the HD until Tuesday. I really doubt it works. From reading around some links it will give me trouble activating it on a non dell system.

no, I think you did the right thing, OEM batch keys are very hit and miss on different hardware

this retailer fucked you

perhaps OP is in the significant minority that will not touch win 8 with a 10 foot finger extension

I cancelled my order at newegg.

I found conflicting info on these oem branded windows. SOme say any oem copy whether its branded or not will go onto any pc granted it has a legit key.

So I'll try it and then if it won't work I'll have to buy from newegg and get it shipped quickly to me.

just to let you know, if it's not a branded oem that newegg is selling, it should work on your machine, does it come with a key? if it is branded, whether it works is questionable but it probably won't come with a key...

and this raises a question for me...

someone gave me a XPS 410 tower, nice machine but I only have one win7 key already in use...and the XPS 410 has a vista oem sticker, but f*** that.
so am I to believe I could get a win7 oem install like this one on Amazon and it'd work on my dell xps?

Last edited:
just to let you know, if it's not a branded oem that newegg is selling, it should work on your machine, does it come with a key? if it is branded, whether it works is questionable but it probably won't come with a key...

and this raises a question for me...

someone gave me a XPS 410 tower, nice machine but I only have one win7 key already in use...and the XPS 410 has a vista oem sticker, but f*** that.
so am I to believe I could get a win7 oem install like this one on Amazon and it'd work on my dell xps?

If you click that Amazon link then click the picture, that is the disk I have here. It says, "For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC."

First off these shouldn't be sold individually. When I bought mine from Royal Discount it did say "branded" but everything else made me thing it was win7 oem. When it said "branded" I thought it meant it was from Microsoft - I didn't know.

The following is what i read on the web: I do believe this disk I have will automatically try to engage Microsoft to activate. At some point this dell disk will look in the PC bios to see if it's installed on a Dell PC and if it isn't it won't activate.

If you have a Dell PC and are thinking about using one of these disk you have a far better chance of success than me since mine isn't Dell. Mine came with a key.

If you click that Amazon link then click the picture, that is the disk I have here. It says, "For Distribution Only With a New Dell PC."

First off these shouldn't be sold individually. When I bought mine from Royal Discount it did say "branded" but everything else made me thing it was win7 oem. When it said "branded" I thought it meant it was from Microsoft - I didn't know.

The following is what i read on the web: I do believe this disk I have will automatically try to engage Microsoft to activate. At some point this dell disk will look in the PC bios to see if it's installed on a Dell PC and if it isn't it won't activate.

If you have a Dell PC and are thinking about using one of these disk you have a far better chance of success than me since mine isn't Dell. Mine came with a key.

I don't think you need a key to activate a Dell PC.

Anyway
If you don't want to open the package, then you can download windows 7 (there are legal download links) and use the key you got from Royal Discount.

I don't think you need a key to activate a Dell PC.

Anyway
If you don't want to open the package, then you can download windows 7 (there are legal download links) and use the key you got from Royal Discount.

Interesting. I assume the only legal link is microsoft?

i emailed Royal Discount and they said they sell this copy all the time and it's totally legit and can installed on any pc. Funnny thing is why does it say only install on a Dell on the CD?

I'll have to find a link to download windows.
edit: wait. i dont need to dl it cause I have other oem disk here. I guess I could try the key. But I read someone said that it might seem to work and then down the road say it's not genuine.

I don't mean to ramble but this is honestly the last time i buy from anywhere other than the normal reputable places like newegg.

Last edited:
There is some confusion here so I will try to dissolve that.

• Dell (and almost all other major OEM) activated PC's do have a product key but the product key is not what activates the OS. The key is a generic one used by that company.
  • The key on the sticker is a unique number for that license but is not activateable (like you could with XP).
  • If you buy an OEM disc from Newegg of 7/8 you will get a OEM sticker and key that is activateable. These are known as "system builder" editions. They are not transferable like retail licenses are.
  • If you were to use a Dell disc to install an OS on a non-Dell system, the OS would prompt you as not activated and to enter a legitimate key.
  • In the scenario described, the Dell disc would work as long as they provide you with an activateable key, however Dell support information etc would be in the OS. You would have to remove the files from the disc before installation to prevent the info.

Last edited:
While the mandatory phone activation hasn't happened in my experience, that is an important caution and I hadn't even seen the warning until you pointed it out. My apologies.

They issued me a rma. They have communicated with me promptly over email. I'm going to send it back because I don't want Dell splash screens and possible activation phone calls and all that.

It's my fault for not knowing what 'branded' meant I guess. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

Once I get refunded I should post it here so I can complete this thread.

Thanks for all the help.

Royal Discount has refunded my credit card.

props to them for helping me out on the refund that was my mistake in the first place for not knowing what 'branded' meant.

/ thread

Newegg are OEM generic copy and will work just fine

If they gave you a key with the Dell DVD, it will also work fine although a phone call may be required. It was for me when I put Windows 7 Pro on an old Vostro 1400 that orignally had Vista x86 on it.

Back