So I bought my 360

Thanks Micro Center. Cambridge was down to fewer thatn 20 on Friday night (premium only)- at least sitting at the pickup desk.

Put it on the rewards card too. $200 off is a great deal.

Then I bought my used games-

Madden 06 (Go Pats- but where's superstar mode? I really like it on the ps2, but I was drafted by the Colts)
NHL2k6 (I'm cheap)
Burnout Revenge. Love Burnout. loads of fun.

Last night I bought Oblivion, DOA4 and PGR3 (for $60) thanks to buy 2 get one free at GS/EB. I'll fire them up tonight.

Do you still get 1 month of XBL Gold? I'll need to run cat5 to the switch upstairs. I'm too cheap to get wireless right now. My router supports it, but the adapter is pricey What third party adapters work on the 360 or is it that you just need one that plugs into the Ethernet port? I may not be able to use wireless with the encryption set (It's a work supplied router that I cannot tweak the settings on).

I have not gone online yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I've only been playing Gears of War online (man do I suck at shooters now) and Lost Planet demo (which has some quirks, but it's awesome regardless).

Yes, you do get a one month trial of gold.

looks like a good setup:)

I am more of a computer gamer, but rule of thumb has always been getting a wired internet connection for gaming:) Leaves less room for lag, dropped connections and other annoying things which may cause breakige of said equipment;)

Happy Gaming.

Definitely use a wired connection, if at all possible. Good game choices, too - well, excepting the sports games, but you don't have much of a choice when buying used.

I got NFL2k6 as well, didn't feel like spending an extra $40 for a roster update. I've got Gears of War as well which I will HIGHLY recommend (and it's really not even "my type" of game, but is ridiculously fun). Oblivious and Viva Pinata are both in the mail as well.

I didn't get on XBL until about 11:00 PM Friday and already I've logged on a bunch of hours. It's just so much fun! And it is so streamlined, you don't even realize you're on until you start playing with others.

I figured that I'd buy the used 'sampler' A few sports, a few racing, Oblivion and a good fighter.

To me a good balance.

I fought between Forza and PGR.

I Think they'll be a lot of fun. I'm already having a lot of fun with Burnout.

There is no Superstar mode in Madden 06, that is in Madden 07. Madden 06 is the craptacular version that doesn't let you do much of anything and has almost no features. Hooooray NFL for ruining the shot at ever having a good Football game again by taking away competition and giving EA, the laziest most games company in the world, the exclusive rights.

Get a warranty, mine just died again. So far for me they only last 6-7 months at a time.

greyt_Autumn said:
I figured that I'd buy the used 'sampler' A few sports, a few racing, Oblivion and a good fighter.

To me a good balance.

I fought between Forza and PGR.

I Think they'll be a lot of fun. I'm already having a lot of fun with Burnout.

Between Forza2 and PGR4? I'll probably get both, but if i had to get only one, it would be forza2.

if forza 1 or pgr3, i say pgr3.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
i'm using a wireless adaptor.. and have no problems...

Me too. It's rare, but probably once out of every 15 times I turn on the 360 it tells me it can't find my router...but the 10 second "test" always fixes that. I think it might be might lack of an SSID broadcast, though.
As long as you have a router that doesn't cap the speed, it runs like a million bucks. My old wireless gateway caps all non-wired connections at 1MB per second, but when hooked up to a router it takes the cap away.
As long as you're pulling 1.2MB a second, you'll have no issues wirelessly. It keeps me from having to run wires all over the place and will work great with all of the new systems.

That's a good choice of games, IMO....for price/value. That oughta keep you busy well into next year.

I still think ya need a shooter. I'm considering selling off either Oblivion or Viva Pinata when they arrive as I'm so hooked to GoW that I don't think I'll get any playing time out of the others for a while...

AARGH! said:
Viva Pinata, dangerous thing...... it makes time disappear....

That's happened to me already the past two days since I've started playing multiplayer GoW. Me last night: "Holy cow, have I really been on here for 5 hours? Bedtiiiiiiiiime..."

I don't need another no-sleepy for me game!

I nabbed a Logitech Play Link wireless bridge and it's worked like a dream so far. For downloading demos and such it's slow(ish) but for XBL gaming it's perfect. Cost me a whopping $24 shipped from frys.com and got here in 2 days.

Just plug one end into the router and the other into the 360 and let it do it's own thing, no hassles at all!

I suck hard at shooters. GoW will own me. I might pick up Dead Rising later on.

As it is I have a wealth of stuff now. I'll be busy forever :)

Madden 06 on the PS2 does have superstar mode.
I can't beleive how much of that HDD is used, and that it's only 20 gb.

In my Home Theater, it's almost TOO intense- and that's at 720P.

I did get the warranty. One of the few tings that it was a no brainer on.

Yeah, warranty was big for me too. I bought my 360 used and looked through several to find one that had the 2 year (which doesn't even kick in until February, right now it's still under the 90 day).

I think if you gave GoW a try you'd find it's really pretty simple to get the hang of. I've never been a console gamer and after my first match I was the high scorer (not that my team was very good, but still...). Just take some time to play the single player and learn the controls and then step into the multi-world :)

the nice thing about the 2 year wrranty is that you can renew it at the end of another two years...

Yes, you can get it in Canada, just call the 1-800-4MY-XBOX number and they can set you up.

greyt_Autumn said:
Thanks Micro Center. Cambridge was down to fewer thatn 20 on Friday night (premium only)- at least sitting at the pickup desk.

Put it on the rewards card too. $200 off is a great deal.

Then I bought my used games-

Madden 06 (Go Pats- but where's superstar mode? I really like it on the ps2, but I was drafted by the Colts)
NHL2k6 (I'm cheap)
Burnout Revenge. Love Burnout. loads of fun.

Last night I bought Oblivion, DOA4 and PGR3 (for $60) thanks to buy 2 get one free at GS/EB. I'll fire them up tonight.

Do you still get 1 month of XBL Gold? I'll need to run cat5 to the switch upstairs. I'm too cheap to get wireless right now. My router supports it, but the adapter is pricey What third party adapters work on the 360 or is it that you just need one that plugs into the Ethernet port? I may not be able to use wireless with the encryption set (It's a work supplied router that I cannot tweak the settings on).

I have not gone online yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

No third party USB adapters work, HOWEVER ANY third party ethernet wireless bridge will work, because it doesn't require drivers. All my friends/co-workers and I all got on Live wirelessly for $19.

:D

Back