So I bought a PS Vita today.

I got my walking dead vita bundle on Sunday. 4GB card is crap, it can't even hold a couple of games. It is also kind of wierd to hold the thing - it just isn't very ergonomic at all.

Good luck, I never got past the ergonomics problems and using hand grips made the thing massive.

Good luck, I never got past the ergonomics problems and using hand grips made the thing massive.

Really? I don't own one or have ever held one, but I thought it looked ergonomic enough.

Can you compare the ergonomics to a 3DS/3DS XL? I figured the Vita was probably more comfortable to hold.

I have no problems using any DS for a couple hours. If I keep using it, eventually part of one of my fingers would hurt.

The Vita was uncomfortable about 15 minutes into using it.

I have no problems using any DS for a couple hours. If I keep using it, eventually part of one of my fingers would hurt.

The Vita was uncomfortable about 15 minutes into using it.

I would have thought differently, with the rounded design of the Vita. That's odd.

Have now had my Vita for a year and I still enjoy owning it. Tearaway is the latest game for me and it's a little dumb sounding at first but it's actually every bit as good as the reviews build it up to be. Glad to also have a first gen Vita with oled screen (the charging cables do suck though). You basically have to come to terms with 1) it's not a "hit factory" type console and 2) the indy games are actually pretty awesome. I'll also recommend Guacamelee and Velocity Ultra though PS+ membership and a big memory card is a must.

I cant wait to get one with remote play on the ps4 and all the games i have from ps+ just waiting for me. It is a little uncomfortable when holding it only because my fingers want to rest on the touch area on the back, not the rubber areas. Seems like they should be moved maybe half an inch. I can live with it though. Once im done buying my son and wife their presents, i need to buy me one

All I gotta say is NICE!! I just got the walking dead bundle from bestbuy the other day for 170 and picked up killzone mercenary. Its beautiful!

I'm going to have to say that the Vita's screen is probably the worst-manufactured OLED screen on the market. The complaints about blotches and vertical lines are real. Mine clearly exhibits both when it's displaying black or grayish material.

uAPSf.jpg

Not mine, but, yeah.

I'm going to have to say that the Vita's screen is probably the worst-manufactured OLED screen on the market. The complaints about blotches and vertical lines are real. Mine clearly exhibits both when it's displaying black or grayish material.

uAPSf.jpg

Not mine, but, yeah.

Mine did that too. Not nearly as bad, however there were blotches all along the bottom and one of the corners.

uAPSf.jpg

Not mine, but, yeah.

Holy cow????
Please tell me this isn't normal, I'm returning this thing tomorrow. Wow

Holy cow????

Did you even notice this before someone dug up a picture of a faulty one? I can't even see any on mine and if there are then I would honestly have to search for it and probably with some effort to find it.

If the Vita is working for you then why return it?

Also I think the 3DS is just as uncomfortable to use. Both consoles are not made for big hands period. At least with the Vita the grip solves the problem. I'm loving Tearaway as well , fantastic game , beautiful as well. All the indie games are nice too.

If the Vita is working for you then why return it?

It just got here. I haven't opened the package yet.
Still debating if I should or not. I was all about it until I found out how useless the 4GB card was and then of course that amazon deal today lasted like 15 minutes....

Gonna think about it some more after dinner.

It just got here. I haven't opened the package yet.
Still debating if I should or not. I was all about it until I found out how useless the 4GB card was and then of course that amazon deal today lasted like 15 minutes....

Gonna think about it some more after dinner.

Honestly I don't think you'll notice it unless you look for it. When the screen is totally black I can not see it. Even with the lights out I still can't see. I actually went looking for it just now and nothing. If its there its only under a certain amount of light that it reveals itself. I think outside of this defect the screen is terrific.

Playing old PS1 games with RGB quality something I can rarely find in any portable display is just awesome. The games that are made for the Vita from the ground up look absolutely fantastic.

I think if you return it now and play with one later that you'll regret it. So its up to you but I think in terms of this problem alone its not even something you'll notice with typical usage. I think that picture is an example of an extreme fault as I don't see many like it on the net.

Just check the massive Neogaf thread (the various ones) and see all the happy owners.

I saw the botches mostly when watching videos, it was fairly obvious on mine during black scene transitions.

Could that be sun damage? I can't think what would cause that.
It's definitely not common, if I ever came across this before I don't remember, and it isn't going across the web it seems....

How many games do you get from PS+?
Damn it I wish I got that 16GB in time.... I probably wouldn't be like this if I did...

It's definitely not common, if I ever came across this before I don't remember, and it isn't going across the web it seems....

The games are released each month. After a year I got 30 games with a PSN sub. So whatever are the games for free this month is what you'll get day one.

Sun damage I kinda doubt. Its just faulty panels. I've seen faulty OLED panels outside of the Vita. Its not unheard of and it just happens. Its like any other device really.

The games are released each month. After a year I got 30 games with a PSN sub. So whatever are the games for free this month is what you'll get day one.

Sun damage I kinda doubt. Its just faulty panels. I've seen faulty OLED panels outside of the Vita. Its not unheard of and it just happens. Its like any other device really.

I know that, I meant, what is on it now, for vita.
Hotline Miami is on there ain't it? hmm...

Holy cow????

Hold on there partner!
Them there blotches are never visible in any game or app I have ever used.
They *sometimes* do appear in dark transitions like when an app is booting, but never in a dark game scene.

You have to use and experience it to see what I mean. This is not a big deal and the absolutely gorgeous and vibrant colors and definition of the Vita OLED screen is well worth this minor annoyance.

Those blotches aren't normal. Mine had them, however they weren't bad enough to really bitch about.

Here are my Vita w/ Games. I have never bought a game for 39.99, the only two that were close were Dragons Crown and Tearaway I got those for 29.99. Killzone for 19.99 and everything else was either 9.99 or 14.99. The grip I got off Amazon for 3 bucks and the extended chargers were 22.79 iirc. The case was bought from Gamestop for 29.99, it holds like 20 games and has a separate pouch for the AC adapter and a smaller case for the Vita but it won't fit the grip so I never use it. Also have a 32GB card I got for 50 awhile ago and an 8GB for movies and TV Shows for 10 bucks.

fa567db0-8960-42f6-ad32-aef0a5c68078.jpg

And out of all of those games the only one I'd suggest not to get is Silent Hill, otherwise everything else is justified if you are into them. Unit 13 is actually not bad and obviously Tearaway, Dragons crown and Killzone are awesome. Uncharted is free and a must have.

Last edited:
Plus if you add all the Indie games and PS1 titles (some real classics) you really have a knockout portable. Add a PSN Plus sub then you get a bunch of free games.

Add the PS4 remote play function and you have a real system.

I'm seriously impressed with how well Sony got the remote play feature working. It manages less latency than the Nvidia Shield which blows my mind. I know that the Shield has a slightly higher resolution but the remote play feature was a seriously under advertised feature.

Now I want to pick up a vita :(

I have a 90$ credit from EbGames since I traded my old PS3... I'm holding on to see if a bundle comes with the PS4 + Vita since I'm interested in remote play! :D

Damn it I wish I got that 16GB in time.... I probably wouldn't be like this if I did...

Man, if there are 2-3 games for it that you want to actually play, keep it. If it's a matter of life or death financially, return it.

I literally can't see those blotches, and I'm willing to bet you won't see them either. Sell some crap you don't need, grab a bigger memory card, and enjoy some awesome handheld gaming. Stop doubting yourself. :mad:

Look what just popped up at gamestop
16GB memory card $20
32GB memory card $40

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/acc...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-QzBsXvu4FbYV2IPS0L3Sbg

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/acc...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-wfaYcclmjmHKcrfswGWQJw

OK, I'm keeping it, just ordered a 32GB card.

Just saw this, so ignore my shit above.

The memory card prices aren't what you listed, was this like yesterday only or something?

uAPSf.jpg

Not mine, but, yeah.

It's called the Mura effect and it's one of the things that drove me to go for the Vita 2000 over the Vita 1000.

That pic is an extreme case, the only way I see my 2 small blotches is if it's completely in the dark, brightness at max and the screen is black.

Never see it in game or out otherwise and even with that particular Vita I doubt he sees it as well.

Going for a 2000 version over the OLED version because of something as trivial as this doesn't make sense to me.

Playing Dragons Crown on the OLED is an experience to have.

Man, if there are 2-3 games for it that you want to actually play, keep it. If it's a matter of life or death financially, return it.

I literally can't see those blotches, and I'm willing to bet you won't see them either. Sell some crap you don't need, grab a bigger memory card, and enjoy some awesome handheld gaming. Stop doubting yourself. :mad:

Just saw this, so ignore my shit above.

The memory card prices aren't what you listed, was this like yesterday only or something?

Yeah, Cyber Monday deal I believe.
And the screen thing totally reared it head last night. It's VERY apparent in the dark, which is when I usually play my portables. I guess we will see how much it bothers me, but I'm pretty invested in the platform now, so for now, I'm keeping it. Can't say I'm not disappointed though, especially when OLED tech is supposed to be awesome for dark and blacks(Like the sexy screen on my S4).

That pic is an extreme case, the only way I see my 2 small blotches is if it's completely in the dark, brightness at max and the screen is black.

Never see it in game or out otherwise and even with that particular Vita I doubt he sees it as well.

Going for a 2000 version over the OLED version because of something as trivial as this doesn't make sense to me.

Playing Dragons Crown on the OLED is an experience to have.

Like I said, it was only one of the things. The main consideration was the improved battery life.

Yea the battery life was an issue with me too. Luckily the Sony Battery Packs are like 23 bucks on Amazon.

Yea the battery life was an issue with me too. Luckily the Sony Battery Packs are like 23 bucks on Amazon.

Battery issues on portable consoles is becoming the norm. Honestly, improved graphics and game capabilities is a fair trade off, especially with aftermarket batteries available.

Battery issues on portable consoles is becoming the norm. Honestly, improved graphics and game capabilities is a fair trade off, especially with aftermarket batteries available.

Norm =/= good trade offs however. To me a portable should have 2 primary "features" right now. The 3ds and Vita i feel may miss both.

1) Battery Life - If i am traveling i dont want to have to carry multiple batteries, that just takes up space and is clunky

2) Good Digital Support - Carrying around game carts is the same as above, its clunky and this day and age unnecessary. The Vita would hands down win in this front, if it wasnt for their absolutely atrocious memory card prices

anyone recommend a good grip to get for vita? is it really necessary for someone with large mitts?
there's several options available on amazon with pretty good reviews.

Can I remove items from the home screen?
Is there really no shortcut to the brightness settings? Is there a button combination with the volume buttons or something? Pretty annoying.
(EDIT:n/m I found the hidden menu PS button combination)

So, can you remove items from the home screen?

Last edited:
Can I remove items from the home screen?
Is there really no shortcut to the brightness settings? Is there a button combination with the volume buttons or something? Pretty annoying.

Yes. Press and hold the icon and you will be presented with the option to delete them. Some of the stock icons you can not move, so I just put them all in one folder (just hold and drag them on one another).

Hold down the Playstation Logo button and you will get a menu where you can adjust brightness, volume, wireless/bluetooth/3g, etc. settings.

Last edited:
Yes. Press and hold the icon and you will be presented with the option to delete them. Some of the stock icons you can not move, so I just put them all in one folder (just hold and drag them on one another).

Made a folder called junk, and tossed all the stock stuff in there. Much better!

I just want a 6 plane image that looks cool and is not anime.

Back