So I been running my 10850K at 5200Mhz for weeks,Am I going to degrade CPU

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
So I been running my 10850K at 5200Mhz for weeks,Am I going to degrade CPU .I have run at 5400Mhz but I was afraid it was too high .
What if I lost 20 points in Cinebench after a year I would be devastated. Anyway 4800Mhz gives the same FPS as 5200Mhz and 5400Mhz what would you run at .I like the big numbers though.
OMG I can not even stomach I wrote that LOL.I see these stupid things about AMD CPUs all the time.

5200-10850-K.jpg

Reactions: noko
like this
I would run it at 5500 and crank the voltage abit. Is the voltage stock? if so no need to worry about degrading the chip (you can crank the voltage abit before worrying about it either).

Last edited:
Yeah but if I ran at 4600Mhz I would save 29 cents every year,how is that not being a sucker. 29 cents ,I am rich bitch

Holy... You'd be the richest person in Antarctica!
I would be the richest person, I did retire at 39 years old,stupid me traveling the world. My bucket list was completed in Antarctica and electricity is paid by grants there thank fuck for that .

Holy crap, 1.483v? That's safe? What kind of cooling do you use?

I run my 10850k at 5GHz, but it takes a whopping 1.41v in order to pass Cinebench and AIDA64 for 15 mins. I don't want to push it beyond that as I have read bad things happen above 1.44 or so, if sustained for long periods of time.

If Running 1.48 is safe, I might have to push mine a bit harder. I'm not an expert on this stuff though. Don't want to ruin my chip/mobo.

I wouldnt, its risky.
Voltage that high is ok for short bursts unless the cooling is exceptional.
I can run my 10700K at 5.3GHz all core with that voltage but I'm not going to use an all core overclock that high.
Instead my motherboard is handling it with bursts of 5.3GHz by itself after a few tweaks and with a very good AIO cooler.
Sustained high loads are between 4.9 to 5.1GHz.

ps I've worn out a few chips in the early days and nearly killed my 2500K by accident with too high voltage, its max overclock dropped substantially within just 1/2hr of high load use at 1.48V. (not equating this with your chip at 1.48V, its a co-incidence, 1.48V definitely harmed my 2500K when under high load)
Yet other people have (supposedly) run their 2500K chips at higher voltage without damage, not all chips are the same.

High voltage with high temps is the killer, even for a short time if that bit too high, and you wont know what that is until its too late.

Your choice :)

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm going to see zero benefit going from 5.0 to 5.2 in 4k gaming anyway. Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread Nenu :)

The other side of this is you "should" be using the variable voltage so you really wouldn't be putting that kind of voltage on the chip unless it's under full load. Which is pretty much when you are benching. Maybe CyberPunk but most games and programs don't tax the CPU like that so that tech is going to be long gone before the degradation if any. Intel chips are pretty resilient.

Defaut boost behaviour is usually better in most instances with modern chips, unless you are shootng for benchmark records on LN2 of course.

Voltage and Temps kill cpus. Its basically lottery how long cpu lasts.
I haven't ever killed a CPU or maybe the upgrade cycle is to consistent. I'm always at least one comp in the new gen. Slowly rotating out older hardware but it hasn't caught up to me yet. I have killed a lot of memory though. And a few Video Cards.

Running Intel 24/7 at 1.45 or above volts will definitely increase risk of degradation and untimely death.

The thread was made to point out the ....It is a CPU if anyone has a emotional attachment to a CPU then your just crazy like the BAT SHIT Kind,Just saying. It is a piece of silicon and metal which is worthless. I know exactly what I posted but taco are not for everyone,sorry taco hope you get your mind set right.

The thread was made to point out the ....It is a CPU if anyone has a emotional attachment to a CPU then your just crazy like the BAT SHIT Kind,Just saying. It is a piece of silicon and metal which is worthless. I know exactly what I posted but taco are not for everyone,sorry taco hope you get your mind set right.

If you broke your expensive fancy rock how would you feel?

Fuck no feeling at all.For me it is not expensive and I doubt I have this CPU more than a couple months.

Wasteful attitude. Someone could get a lot of years of use from your gear when you move on to the next gen, better than it ending up in a land fill. I always take care of my gear, and pass it down for a very reasonable price, sometimes for free, to people who can make use of it, or might even need it. Nihilists really piss me off.

So I been running my 10850K at 5200Mhz for weeks,Am I going to degrade CPU .I have run at 5400Mhz but I was afraid it was too high .
What if I lost 20 points in Cinebench after a year I would be devastated. Anyway 4800Mhz gives the same FPS as 5200Mhz and 5400Mhz what would you run at .I like the big numbers though.
OMG I can not even stomach I wrote that LOL.I see these stupid things about AMD CPUs all the time.

View attachment 314800

What is your cooling setup for this? Temps looks lower than normal. Nice OC!

its the AMPs under FULL LOAD that degrade/kill chips in combinations with voltage and temps. Having a 1.45v idle voltage isnt going to harm a single thing. Ryzen cpus idle @ 1.45+ Voltage to sustain max boost speeds, but drop voltage when amps and load go up. If someone sets a high vcore like 1.45v to sustain a certain clock, then load line calibration needs to be set appropriately to drop the voltage once cpu goes under load.

Personally, if i'm not seeing any worthwhile performance gains, I would opt to run at the lower frequency. I'm not worried about degradation, though in today's market, I would be worried about being able to find an equal or better CPU replacement at non-scalper pricing.

I do worry about stability, and that would be my main reason for the lower clocks. So many people claim stability at x.xx GHz but few do adequate enough stability testing and most don't do any short of successfully booting into windows and being able to launch their favorite game. True stability is a tricky thing to achieve when you're pushing the limits. I've had OC's that were stable in every test I could throw at it but would routinely crash seemingly simple things like Internet Explorer.

Back