So I am confused, where does Blizzard DOTA sit with Valve's DOTA2?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
blizzard announced and released a trailer for Blizzard DOTA that will be available through starcraft 2? is this an expansion on SOTIS? and where does valve's version of DOTA2 fit in all this?

I heard it was just another map that is completely free (no microtransactions even?) even if you don't own SC2 since it works with the Starter Edition?

Yup its free. It is more to show off what SC2 is capable of then actually competing in the DOTA genre.

They've been working on it for a good year now (it was shown at last year's Blizzcon). It's going to be multiple maps because they like to add some variety. It's looking pretty neat so far. I don't think they're planning to make it a serious competitor in the MOBA scene. There was a panel discussing the changes in design they're working on atm. Microtransactions are a possibility. There was a question asked on a different SC2 panel about it and they didn't outright deny that microtransactions will be involved with the map.

ok so blizzard dota is a completely free map/scenario game that is being developed by blizzard and is COMPLETELY separate from valve's dota2?

Yep, and it'll come with the SC2 starter edition so you don't have to buy the game to play it. It basically started as something the art team thought would be fun to do. Looks like they got carried away with the idea and are working on polishing up the gameplay (learning curve, intuitiveness, etc.) as well.

Blizzard's DOTA is some shitty attempt at the market and showcasing SC2. Valve's DOTA2 is designed with/by IceFrog (long time developer of DOTA Allstars) to be an exact copy of DOTA on an updated engine with all the features we now desire and want that games like HoN give.

having played blizzard dota at blizzcon this weekend, it's fucking terrible so far. (granted it's in early stages), BUT STILL. It was so bad I couldn't believe they even showcased it. There were like 10 items, 12 heroes, not balanced. No unit selection (heroes that have a summon are SoL. No last hitting, no denying.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1037924748 said:
having played blizzard dota at blizzcon this weekend, it's fucking terrible so far. (granted it's in early stages), BUT STILL. It was so bad I couldn't believe they even showcased it. There were like 10 items, 12 heroes, not balanced. No unit selection (heroes that have a summon are SoL. No last hitting, no denying.

Since Blizzard DOTA is free and even available in the starter edition... it'll probably end up being something like Starjeweled. I won't expect continued development / support after it's released either. It was just a side project for fun anyway. I think more serious players will be more interested in DOTA 2.

Back