So, I aciddentially left the fan on my card unplugged

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
Was doing regular cleaning of my Leadtek 6800GT. FUll disassembally and redoing AS5. Put it all back together and start playing BF2.

Took the card 10 minutes of play to start artifacting, at which point I quit with intent to double check heatsink contact.

Touch the back of the vid card..... HOT

After pulling the card out, go figure I forgot to plug in the fan. :rolleyes:

I'm sorta shocked that the temp alarm in the nvidia drivers didnt go off(120C), but the card still works just fine :)

Also shocked the card survived the torture. Anyone else done stupid crap like this before? Am I a lucky survivor? :D

i'm guessing you have nice airflow in your case and got really lucky:p

I did that once with an old hercules card, it was my dads work card though. He came home one day with the computer and said it doesnt work.. Open'er up, and the blue pcb was no longer blue, but instead was replaced with a charred black... Im really not sure how that thing heated up so much though... Musta been hotter than I thought that day, in his stuffy little office with tons of dust instead every possible hole.. /shrug, I got a kick outta that.

A friend of mine was complaining of artifacting in Counterstrike-source, so I stopped by to see the problem. Open his computer, which had been idling at the desktop for quite a while, and his graphics card was HOT. Turns out the fan had gotten clogged up with dust and eventually stopped. I think it had been that way for weeks......of course, this was a GeForce4MX card so that probably helped the fact that it still functioned suprisingly well for no fan.

Heh, that sounds fun! Almost as much fun as when I forgot to plug in the 4-pin Molex connector to the back of my 6800!

DangerIsGo said:
You mean the 6pin connection?
on AGP, the 6800 has the four pin molex not the pci e six pin one. and yea, leaving that unplugged, i did that on purpose once, n the thing fucking SHRIEKS like a hell demon.

I accidently unplugged my zalman fan from my 6800gt several weeks ago and ran it that way for 72 hours. The temps got up to 85 celcius, way below the 120 threshold. The card was hot to the touch and I got that sinking feeling when I saw the fan blades not moving, but the card is fine. I believe that they are designed to shut themselves down before damage.

My online freind was bitching that his 5950Ultra kept lagging, I remote assisted him through msn, downloaded speed fna his temps were at around 100C. looked like his Fan was failing, he said it was noisy. he went and bought a fan, REGULAR FAN opened his case and put fan so that it blows on a card, lol, wors better.

Funny this thread.

I just happend to blow the dust out of my computer yesterday for the first time in 3 months, noticed the fan on my Zalman ZM80D-HP was unplugged, fortunately for me that sink is so massive with so much surface area that my case fans were able to cool my 6800 GT easily. Only thing I noticed at Idle was a 4 C temp increase and at load about 8C, never got above 76C under load.

Sniper_Merc said:
Funny this thread.

I just happend to blow the dust out of my computer yesterday for the first time in 3 months, noticed the fan on my Zalman ZM80D-HP was unplugged, fortunately for me that sink is so massive with so much surface area that my case fans were able to cool my 6800 GT easily. Only thing I noticed at Idle was a 4 C temp increase and at load about 8C, never got above 76C under load.

lol - nice. :)

Back