So how low can game magazines go these days?

i am dumb....the links are not working for me(tried in IE6 and Mozilla), can someone describe it?

Well wasn't that smart.

Linking to pictures that were going to be removed shortly after.

They work fine for me.

And I must say, that's horrible. I'm glad that I don't have a subscription. Heh, though that's because they aren't a very good magazine anyways. It's kinda sad really. Their magazine is worthless, and then they put a picture like that in it. So does that make them less than worthless? ;)

I agree that disrespecting the soldiers is wrong and all, but I think these guys are taking it a little too far. Firing everyone involved? monetary compensation for each soldier pictured? I think that is a little excessive.

One thing did make me laugh though:

Actually SONY ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION is just as SCUMMY as WARNER BROS. They constantly PROMOTE GANGSTA RAP MUSIC, ANTI-SOCIAL VIDEO GAMES, ALEC BALDWIN and MORE.

wow, they promote gangsta rap music, anti social video games and, heavens no, ALEC BALDWIN!?!?! those BASTARDS!!!!!

Originally posted by Tiny
i am dumb....the links are not working for me(tried in IE6 and Mozilla), can someone describe it?

working now......

This is so sick that I can't believe they did this, the "art" director and the minion that created the ad should be fired. I am going to call her all day long on Monday. Here is some info for those that want to join in....

CALL, FAX, WRITE!

Tara Garfinkle

Intellectual Property Manager

Ziff Davis Media Inc.

phone: 212.503.3554

fax: 212.503.3560

email: [email protected]

and I see that 'Intellectual' is used loosely at EGM.

I signed the petition, #1792, and read all the comments in both forums and it was upsetting to me. "Editor's" do need to actually "edit" their magazines and make sure that what is put in them is appropriate. Tara Garfinkle needs to be fired or repremanded severely for her actions. The person who came up with the add knew what the original was since it clearly explains what the soldiers are doind at the top when they purchased the image from the photographer.

What marketing genius thought this was a clever idea??? Just think of that first kid's mother. My dead son's picture, being honored by his commrade, has been defaced by a video game cover. Why don't you go to a grave yard next and change all the head stones to your game boxes too. The article entitled "Prepare for War" now has new meaning for EGM.

#1263's comments inspired me to do this.

my bad photoshop and paint skills

That's pretty damned disrespectful.

Maybe they can put broken wings onto the pictures of people jumping from the WTC in their next mag.

I know if I had my picture taken while mourning fallen soldiers that i knew, and they took and edited the picture like this...

I WOULD SUE THERE ASS INTO THE GOD DAMN GROUND. Noone wouldnt side with me for fucks sake.

This is complete BS its pretty sad the shit they do.

Someone should find out where those soldiers are and recommend they sue! :/

That's pretty messed up, and what the hell were they thinking trying to strongarm that website with some legal bullshit. Thats a great way to win PR points and handle a delicate situation. A dose of stupid all around from the buyer, seller, intellectual manager, and art people. But I doubt anyone is going to see any kind of compensation, they should at least apoligize, and smack the idiots who did that.

I wouldn't fault the buyers on this. Most people wouldn't recognize that scene as being an edited picture of something relevant. I didn't realize what it had been before this thread.

so who OKed the pic?...the game company?...if so that sucks..cause i was gonna try that game and maybe buy it...

not a fucking chance if so...

seeing the pic at first (Ialways look at the pics before reading)...i thought "devs/producers must have some coin/pull to get those troops for an ad..."

must be some premature peeps in da werks...who have no experience/grasp of violent (sometimes pointless) death...only video feed and games to view the world through...(without the stench of war)...sad...really sad.PropaFuckinGanda gone awry.

gonna read some more...keep my eye on these threads...save the pics and tell all that i know about this story.

utterly tasteless and tacky...PR is everything this day in age...$umbuddy fucked up...bad.

rest in peace troops (if thats what you wanna do)...some of us human beings still respect your sacrifices,to do what you believed was right,and the families you've left behind.

honor is thicker than blood money.

What the hell? Tara Garfinkle is their lawyer, not the friggin art director, you asshats. This "Tara Garfinkle needs to be fired!" stuff is utterly stupid. At least get the right person when you denounce them.

And yeah, EGM should take the image off and issue some kind of apology. Monetary compensation is stupid, but they definitely did something wrong. I also disagree with the whole "we poorly photoshopped a picture, now it's our intellectual property" bullshit. Fucking lawyers.

Originally posted by RandomTrend
so who OKed the pic?...the game company?...if so that sucks..cause i was gonna try that game and maybe buy it...

not a fucking chance if so...

People are getting this confused. This was an article written by EGM and was NOT an ad. Sony and socom II have nothing to do with this.

It was a bunch of Russian soldiers holding a picture of one of their fallen comrades and honoring him. But EGM edited the picture and put SOCOM II into it.

well normaly i wouldn't link to genmay considering the history of the 2 sites but the pictures in question can be found here

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?threadid=274489

disgusting , i have no idea who came up with the idea but its realy sad when they sink so low. i never bought egm and never plan to buy it either after seeing this

Originally posted by xenogears
People are getting this confused. This was an article written by EGM and was NOT an ad. Sony and socom II have nothing to do with this.

thanks xenogears...back to plan A

I stopped reading EGM a few years ago, when it really really started to get consistently vulgar and disgusting (references to genitals are absolute taboo). For time reference, it was about 2-4 months after "shoe" became the editor, I remember feeling a lot of blame toward him because in his editors note at the beginning of the mag he was usually pretty 12-year-old-ish.

Pretty disappointing... to photoshop an image like that to begin with is in pretty poor taste, but to then turn around and claim it as intellectual property just make it even worse.

I wonder if the families of the fallen soldiers have seen these pics, and what they would think. I would be steamed...

http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,4364,1434663,00.asp

An Apology From EGM
1/12/2004

Dear readers,
In the February 2004 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, we printed a picture of soldiers holding what appear to be SOCOM II boxes. We altered this image to fit a story theme (soldiers preparing for online war), not realizing what the original context was (soldiers mourning their fallen comrades). We truly regret this and take full responsibility for our lack of better judgment. No excuses, we screwed up. It was completely unintentional, and we absolutely didn't mean to offend anybody. And then our company compounded the problem by sending a copyright infringement notice when the picture was scanned and posted without commentary on a third party's website, without understanding that the picture apparently was being displayed for critical purpose. We've addressed this issue head-on and are issuing apologies everywhere we can, and will also be doing so in our April 2004 issue. And, to further our apology, we're also making a contribution to The Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Please also note that this image was not used in an advertisement for SOCOM II, and was used without SOCOM II publisher Sony Computer Entertainment America or developer Zipper Interactive's knowledge or approval. We used it in our own editorial section, on our own efforts.

We'll try to be sure not to repeat this type of error again.

Sincerely,

Dan "Shoe" Hsu
Editor-in-chief, Electronic Gaming Monthly

good. at least one person doesnt have their head up their asses in that company.

so, did they fire that Tara bitch?

One more time...Tara Garfinkle is their lawyer, not the art director...

Christ.

just in case anybody cares, I believe that picture was taken at the memorial service for the sailors that parished on the Kurst submarine

Originally posted by finalgt
One more time...Tara Garfinkle is their lawyer, not the art director...

Christ.

Thats right, part of their legal department. It was her fault (the cease-and-desist letter) everyone got pissed off and she should pay for it.

Back