So how blurry it is to run on 47" HDTV?

I'm interested in purchasing a new 47" TV but I've remembered somewhere that people were saying the texts are blurry and such. My question is how blurry? Day and night difference compared to a 24" monitor?

I personally wouldn't say blurry. It's just that the resolution is sooooo low compared to a 24".

The 24" monitor and 47" TV have the same resolution, yet the TV is four times bigger. That means that each pixel is four times bigger and for that reason most would probably like to sit from a distance (and the point of a large display (as a monitor) begins to fade away...

Add to that other problems such as the fact that TVs are made for being used as a TV.
TVs are usually brighter and it's not always you can turn the brightness down to suitable levels. TVs have a lot of processing to make movies and TV look better, theese doesn't always work well with computer usage and you might get lag.
And you will want a TV with 1:1 pixel mapping, if not you will have blurry text (and of course all other fine details).

Personally I'd stay away from using TVs as monitors unless there is a special need for it for some reason, but some seems to like it.

Thanks for the insight. I never knew about 1:1 mapping. The whole point of getting a new TV is to be versatile. I have a crappy old 26" CRT and a 24" monitor and would love to have these capabilities available. Are there any examples, like perhaps screenshots / high-quality videos wih people using it as monitors?

acutally it depends on 2 things more than anything else. what kind of tv you have and what the native pc resolution is. not all tvs display computer reolutions the same way they display tv. my sony 50" rp lcddoes 720p. but the pc native resolution is only 1156x648 or something like that. (im using dvi to hdmi cable) now the resolution is alot lower than a normal 24" @ 1900x1200, but the display on the tv looks just as good. text is clear as a bell.its actually alot easier to read. my advice is to do your homework and not to assume all tvs will display computer resolutions the same way.

If you have the time and patience to research it yourself, hit up the AVS forums.

It's one of the few places where people regularly discuss using TV's as PC monitors.

I've been using a 47" 1080p lcd tv for years now as my computer. It's not blurry at all. It's as clear as any LCD. 1920x1080 is far from a low resolution. Right now I actually have a 22" 1680x1050 as my dual monitor right next to it and they both look great.

It's really an amazing thing to see in action. I just wish I could use it for 3D vision right now. Just make sure you go with a 1080p LCD and you'll be extremely happy.

I took a bad quality pic from my iphone camera which doesn't really show you how blurry it's not, but you can see that it's equally as clear as the 22" next to it. I couldn't fit much more in the pic :)

LCD TV = not blurry
Unless set up wrong, or using analogue otherwise it will be pin sharp.
An LCD pixel doesnt blurr, its a static size and doesnt change shape or size so each pixel is clearly defined with no blurred edges.

Using a 50 inch Pioneer Elite right now. NEVER looks blurry at all. Im so use to using this system Its hard to go back to the Apple 30 inch in the bedroom.

I think you have 'blur' confused with 'pixelated nes graphics'.
That or running a bad vga implementation, or possibly running a non native resolution, or not having true 1:1 pixel mapping with many fonts having that aliased look.

Back