So has most everyone moved to Win 10 now?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I ask because I am still running Win 7. Can I ask if there any other advantages to Win 7 besides privacy? Or is Win 10 better now?

Still have my daily driver on Win 7 and no plans to change it. Family machines still on Win 7 as well with no plans to change them.

My gaming machine on Win 7 and will stay that way until she dies then I will see about changing it or not. No real privacy issues on the gaming machine.
Of course by the time it dies, maybe windows 12 will be out and MS will have corrected their big mistake with Win 10.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I was a long time hold out but when I rebuilt my rig back in December I went ahead and installed a new copy of Win10 begrudgingly and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and that the hate for 10 is way overblown. It does take some getting used to but once you get used to it, it runs pretty smooth. I kinda think I like it better than 7 now.

Every machine in my house is Windows 10. We have 11 machines here (actually 12, but the 2007 MacBook Pro only has OSX on it).

Took about a week or so to get used to the interface when I switched my first machine from 7 to 10.

Switched everything up already- I'm mostly used to it now, though I do touch Win 7 and Server OS's pretty regularly and Linux (and Solaris!) almost as regularly, so I'm pretty adaptable.

everything in my house is on 10, no issues. my main systems have been on insider preview since day one, also no major issues. there have been a few minor things but they always got worked out and were nothing that cause me problems.

I ask because I am still running Win 7. Can I ask if there any other advantages to Win 7 besides privacy? Or is Win 10 better now?
Honestly, only *you* can ultimately decide if moving to Windows 10 is
for you. Some here love it, some here like it and have learned to live with it and some here think it's a pox on humanity. :LOL:

On my main machine, the only reasons I moved:

1: Had to reformat my machine in a time crunch
2: Didn't have time to deal with the Windows Update Corrupt Manifest problem.
3: Had a copy of LTSB available.

My new laptop came with Win10...

So. Meh.

Got 7 on my work rig and 7 on my VR rig right now, I see this going the same way my XP -> Win7 transition went. Just Cause 2 came out, I absolutely had to play it, but it was a Win7 title. So I went dual boot XP/W7 to run it, and slowly after a few months my W7 partition had all my essential apps & programs on it, and one day I didn't need to use XP anymore.

The same thing is going to happen with Win10 and VR, pretty soon the new hardware & software won't work on W7 anymore and I'll be forced to put W10 on my VR rig, then after a while I'll have it down to how I like it and put 10 on my work rig.

Between Google, equifax, Facebook (that I don't use), etc .. My information is public knowledge at this point. I've long since come to terms with that. Now that I think about it, if all of my information is everywhere it's no longer valuable, so maybe by saying fuck it I'm really saying f-u. Lol

That said, I went windows 10 on day 1. My income does not depend on my pc being stable so I have no qualm with playing with the latest/greatest/poo.

The biggest change on 10 to me is lack of customization. It absolutely irks me that I can't get rid of or change the lockscreen. Once someone hacks it, they put it back on the next update. Is it worth getting pissy about? If I paid good money for it, yes! But between the free upgrade and cheap keys here... It's totally worth $20 or less.

I pretty much got Windows 10 the day it came out on all my PCs. And a similar situation with Windows 8. I like to be ahead of the curve so I can help people out with the latest OS on their new computer. My Windows 8 knowledge has been surprisingly useless outside of very unusual situations where someone didn't upgrade to Windows 10, though. Almost no one stayed on 8 or 8.1 for any length of time... they all downgraded to 7 or upgraded to 10.

If the reason you're avoiding Windows 10 is that old keylogger rumor, though, that's been debunked several times for release versions of Windows. Some Insider builds had that, but it's hardly a standard feature. There is telemetry, but it's far less intrusive than you probably think. Most websites you visit probably collect more data on you via cookies than Windows does. And think about your smartphone, it knows your location at all times and has a built-in microphone. If I were going to worry about privacy, I'd worry more about what Google and Facebook know about me than what Microsoft knows. ;)

And let's face it, if you're worried about the NSA getting into your computer... there's very little you can do about that anyway, they can crack most operating systems. They hire the best hackers, and give them supercomputers that may already have quantum tech in them. Your PC probably can't hold up to an infiltration attempt by those guys even if you are running the most secure OS on the planet... and Windows 7 has far more documented security holes than Windows 10 anyway. A teenager can hack Windows 7.

My opinion is that while there are good reasons for staying on Windows 7 if you need some older feature like Windows XP Mode, Windows Media Center, or Windows Movie Maker... unless you absolutely need something Windows 7 has that the newer versions don't, there's no reason to cripple your computer with an aging OS that doesn't support the Windows Store (which actually does have nice stuff on occasion). It's not like the system requirements are any higher.

Last edited:
My main PC is using Win8.1pro and I have another PC with Win7 on it. My Notebook came with Win10 but I wiped that and put Linux on it. I did put in an old HDD and install Win10 to it so I do have a copy of Win10 for my main PC if I ever want to use it but see no good reason to atm. Win8 with classicshell serves me well enough.

Obviously a touchy subject in a place like this. I've been using Windows 10 as my only personal PC daily driver since almost Day One from the RTM. Not a perfect experience, indeed I screwed up my Surface Book 2 this past week going to 1803 from the Slow Ring update. Since it wasn't the official RTM build with the Day One patches, I don't put that all on Microsoft. However my sig rig has been fine.

I have a lot invested in hardware and software that's pretty much Windows only, and increasingly Windows 10 only. And we're moving to it at work. I just haven't overall any more problems with 10 than prior versions of Windows and it has gotten more solid generally since the 2015 RTM. I'd love to see Microsoft change things particularly around telemetry, I think that's the biggest sticking point. The update situation is a lot more complicated due to the agile development process though offering long term branches to consumers I think should happen.

The only thing I gave up was Windows Media Center and that's just not important these days with almost all of my TV these days being stream based. 10 is much better on convertible devices and high DPI and resolution screens which are huge part of my daily mix now. 10 is working for me, could be better but 7 and 8.1 introduce problems for me now.

Windows 10 all the way.

I have zero issues with "privacy". Compared to Google, Facebook and Amazon; MS doesn't even seem to be using my Personal DATA.

I do have some issues, mainly the old control panel (I want it back!!!). But for me its so much better than 7.

Windows 10 all the way.

I have zero issues with "privacy". Compared to Google, Facebook and Amazon; MS doesn't even seem to be using my Personal DATA.

I do have some issues, mainly the old control panel (I want it back!!!). But for me its so much better than 7.
type control panel in cortana, see if that will do for ya.

Windows 10 is fine, but the Creators Update can eat a bushel of dicks.

I have a mix. Windows 7 at work, 10 at home.

...well, ok. XP AND 7 at work. Getting the budget to upgrade when everything is currently "working fine" is an uphill battle ( and yes I know all about the lack of updates and security issues xp faces, and soon 7 ), and there are other things to spend money on ( like servers to replace my 10 year old servers that are starting to experience odd errors ).

Still running 7 on almost all computers at work. I'm using 7 and 10 side by side, and I cannot fathom why some people would say 10 is better. Many things work exactly the same, others are worse (start menu), while some are much worse (settings app vs. control panel mess), and the rest of it that is just annoying (many useful or convenient features ripped out compared to 7) There is literally one thing I can mention that is better in 10: The built in task manager shows gpu usage, THAT's it.
And on top it's plagued by weird bugs, like for example I cannot start a command prompt by typing it in search. It just doesn't work.

Still running 7 on almost all computers at work. I'm using 7 and 10 side by side, and I cannot fathom why some people would say 10 is better. Many things work exactly the same, others are worse (start menu), while some are much worse (settings app vs. control panel mess), and the rest of it that is just annoying (many useful or convenient features ripped out compared to 7) There is literally one thing I can mention that is better in 10: The built in task manager shows gpu usage, THAT's it.
And on top it's plagued by weird bugs, like for example I cannot start a command prompt by typing it in search. It just doesn't work.

If you use a convertible, tablet or touch capable device, Windows 10 is WAY better. 10 also works much better out of the box with multiple and high-DPI monitors and scales much better across mixed DPI density screens. Those are big deals to me because I use that stuff. And as you say, many things work the same, the desktop apps I've used for years, nothing is different.

The Start in Windows 10, I like that better in 10 versus 7. It's just so much easier to arrange it terms of priority and even get some info from it and it works well across keyboard and mouse and touch interaction. I live in Windows and have for years. I get the issues with telemetry and the updates but there's nothing I'd get from Windows 7 at this point that's more than I'd loose.

I use everything.

At work my laptop has 10 pro. Our users are on a mix of 7 and 10. Since we are on a 3 year upgrade cycle, we are only buying hardware with 10 on it instead of reinstalling on everyone’s system. I work with a few dozen windows servers and a couple running oracle Linux and centos.

Home I have my main desktop that has 7 pro on it. My laptop is a mid 2014 MacBook so it’s running the current version of OSX.

I don’t like Windows 10. I don’t like where Microsoft is going with it, especially the App Store. Privacy isn’t much of a concern since about every web service people use harvest more data than Microsoft could ever dream of. All of the telemetry is now on Windows 7 and 8 anyways, so there’s really no way around that if you have to use Windows. Having some kind of control over my updates is a big deal too. Im fine with updates and I install them regularly, but I want to do that on my schedule.

When Windows 7 support ends, I’ll be moving everything to Linux since Windows 10 is the last version of Windows Microsoft will ever release.

Last edited:
When I built my machine I tried 10 for a week before it got stuck on a blue screen on boot, so I went back to my Win7 image. I'll be here till 2020 or if I need to do a reinstall, other than that I see no rush to upgrade.

All of the telemetry is now on Windows 7 and 8 anyways
As of now you can still uninstall it.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
When Windows 7 support ends, I’ll be moving everything to Linux since Windows 10 is the last version of Windows Microsoft will ever release.

That's any easy thing to say if you're not sitting on a shitload of stuff that's only Windows compatible. This is at the heart of the disagreement over this subject. I have no problem wiping out every Windows PC I have and installing some Linux distro. That's simple. Everything else because an nightmare that not even uber Linux folks can handle without long drawn out debates over this or that or the other over things that have worked great forever for me personally.

If one can make the switch and get "away" from Windows then do it. But the reason I stick with Windows isn't because of Windows or how wonderful Microsoft is. It's because of all this stuff, the overwhelming majority of if not coming from Microsoft that's only Windows compatible and cost a lot damn more than a cheap ass Windows license or dozens.

When I built my machine I tried 10 for a week before it got stuck on a blue screen on boot, so I went back to my Win7 image. I'll be here till 2020 or if I need to do a reinstall, other than that I see no rush to upgrade.

As of now you can still uninstall it.

That’s fine. I could just install LTSB too. That’s not the issue. The issue is I shouldn’t have to install special (not available to the public) versions, or 3rd party hacks to remove features that shouldn’t be a part of an OS.

That's any easy thing to say if you're not sitting on a shitload of stuff that's only Windows compatible. This is at the heart of the disagreement over this subject.

I have about 2 years left of Windows 7 support. That gives me enough time to find alternatives to the things I use at home. For anything else at that point, I will have to use a VM or just due without. It’s the same thing if I were to move to OSX. For work, I’m stuck with Windows since we are a Windows house. Switching a company of about 200 users to OSX or Linux is just stupid. It’s possible on the back end but I cringe every time I hear boonie talk about his company wide OSX and Linux workplace.

wusa /uninstall isn't what I'd call a third-party hack, but I half agree with you :)

Except Microsoft laughs at wusa /uninstall since the same crapware will be right back reinstalled in the next forced "feature" update a few months later.

Last edited:
That's any easy thing to say if you're not sitting on a shitload of stuff that's only Windows compatible. This is at the heart of the disagreement over this subject. I have no problem wiping out every Windows PC I have and installing some Linux distro. That's simple. Everything else because an nightmare that not even uber Linux folks can handle without long drawn out debates over this or that or the other over things that have worked great forever for me personally.

If one can make the switch and get "away" from Windows then do it. But the reason I stick with Windows isn't because of Windows or how wonderful Microsoft is. It's because of all this stuff, the overwhelming majority of if not coming from Microsoft that's only Windows compatible and cost a lot damn more than a cheap ass Windows license or dozens.

Fortunately the issue isn't the "Windows 10 or Linux" false dilemma you continually try to frame it as. Windows 7 will get patches two more years, Windows 8.1 will get patches 5 more. Plenty of time for Microsoft to address the valid criticisms of Windows 10, or continue to accelerate Windows' decline faster than necessary.

I ended up going back to Windows 8.1 with the telemetry KB's blocked, and with ClassicShell its the best of both worlds: the post-7 SMP improvements that carried forward to 10, without the forced updates, crapware and of course telemetry. Couldn't be happier. And 100% of my Steam games including VR titles play exactly the same as on 10.

Unfortunately Microsoft has given zero incentive or value add to put up with all the downsides to 10 at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Windows 8.1 marketshare increase in the time ahead.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Except Microsoft laughs at wusa /uninstall since the same crapware will be right back reinstalled in the next forced "feature" update a few months later.
Are you on Win10? This was about Win7. It's been awhile since I uninstalled those updates, want me to let you know when they're back?

Are you on Win10? This was about Win7. It's been awhile since I uninstalled those updates, want me to let you know when they're back?
Certainly worth keeping an eye on if you don't have windows update blocked, since Microsoft tends to reissue controversial KB updates under new KB#'s, usually with a pointless vague description.

Look no further than all the redundant KB's in the list you posted

For me the sole value of Win10 is the built in support for some types of surround sound. I really like the Netflix app and getting dolby surround with that. But other than that, Win10 offers no new feature value for me. The windows store does make things a little easier but beyond that, I wouldn't upgrade unless I had a program that demands it.

If you use a convertible, tablet or touch capable device, Windows 10 is WAY better. 10 also works much better out of the box with multiple and high-DPI monitors and scales much better across mixed DPI density screens. Those are big deals to me because I use that stuff. And as you say, many things work the same, the desktop apps I've used for years, nothing is different.

The Start in Windows 10, I like that better in 10 versus 7. It's just so much easier to arrange it terms of priority and even get some info from it and it works well across keyboard and mouse and touch interaction. I live in Windows and have for years. I get the issues with telemetry and the updates but there's nothing I'd get from Windows 7 at this point that's more than I'd loose.
Let's get something straight. Windows 7 is for desktop. Windows 10 is supposed to be a desktop os as well. So comparing it to 7 as a tablet OS is pointless.

You don't need tablet mode for workstations and gaming PCs. And there is no point to using a display for desktop that has more dpi than you can handle without scaling, as there are always apps that don't scale, I think there are more desktop apps that don't support scaling or are outright broken by it, than ones that are fine with it.

Back