So happy I didn't update to iOS11.

Already being discussed here: https://hardforum.com/threads/apple-officially-admits-they-slow-down-older-iphones.1950919/

And also, they didn’t. They made it so people with bad and old batteries had a phone that wouldn’t shut off during peak usage. You've in very broad strokes (very broad) covered the 'what' but entirely failed to talk about the 'why'. Did you even read the article you linked?

Yahoo said:
Apple on Wednesday acknowledged that the company does take some measures to reduce power demands - which can have the effect of slowing the processor - when a phone's battery is having trouble supplying the peak current that the processor demands.

The problem stems from the fact that all lithium-ion batteries, not just those found in Apple products, degrade and have problems supplying the big bursts as they age and accumulate charging cycles, Apple said in a statement. The problems with peak current draws can also occur when batteries are cold or low on charge.

"Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions," Apple said in an emailed statement to Reuters. "We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.”

So the effect is that they've made your old battery more usable for longer rather than having a phone shut off during any peak power demand extending the life of the device. This issue was already cropping up on some of their phones. This was a patch to fix that problem. If anything Apple could've left this problem in and forced people to buy more batteries or face the problem of having phones that would keep shutting off. But instead they figured out a way to extend the life of an old battery.

I guess the real news is that no matter what people bitch at Apple. People complain about a problem. Then Apple finds a reasonable fix. Then people complain about the fix. There is literally no solution everyone would be happy with.

(EDIT: Spelling/grammar not content)

Last edited:
Mine was posted first! Look at the time mine was posted compared to there's. And no problem with my battery.

Already being discussed here: https://hardforum.com/threads/apple-officially-admits-they-slow-down-older-iphones.1950919/

And also, they didn’t. They made it so people with bad and old batteries had a phone that wouldn’t shut off during peak usage. You've in very broad strokes (very broad) covered the 'what' but entirely failed to talk about the 'why'. Did you even read the article you linked?

So the effect is that they've made your old battery more usable for longer rather than having a phone shut off during any peak power demand extending the life of the device. This issue was already cropping up on some of their phone. This was a patch to fix that problem. If anything Apple couldn't left this problem in and forced people to buy more batteries or face the problem of having phones that would keep shutting off. But instead they figured out a way to extend the life of an old battery.

I guess the real news is that no matter what people bitch at Apple. People complain about a problem. Then Apple finds a reasonable fix. Then people complain about the fix. There is literally no solution everyone would be happy with.

Apple is now saying they will include a feature in iOS 11 that shows you when your battery is bad and is causing performance issues. They will also replace bad batteries for $29 until December 2018 for iPhone 6 or newer.

they also said this was only for 6 and 6s, they call it feature, im just annoyed the 5s on ios11 lasts longer than my 6s. but hey 29 batt replacement is not bad.

they also said this was only for 6 and 6s, they call it feature, im just annoyed the 5s on ios11 lasts longer than my 6s. but hey 29 batt replacement is not bad.

Not bad? My oem samsung galaxy battery is under $10 a piece... I don't need to go anywhere and pay someone to install it.

i am well aware of the pitfalls of the apple ecosystem, i merely mention that for the pleasure of having apple open the fragile as fuck glass phone, and replace the battery with what i assume will be an OEM part, 29 in the apple world is very very good.

Not bad? My oem samsung galaxy battery is under $10 a piece... I don't need to go anywhere and pay someone to install it.

For which phone? They haven't had a removable battery in several generations now (unless you're talking about nonflagship devices). And I would be incredibly careful about whom you are buying "OEM" batteries from. I found while I was trying to help a friend that there is an incredible amount of knockoff batteries floating around masquerading as OEM... and they aren't.

Not being on iOS 11 has no effect. This "Fix" has been in place since iOS 10.2.1.

I am glad the battery offer is good for a year. Means I will be able to get my battery replaced cheaper for my 6S and I can still keep the seal they have on the displays.

Tell me how I can use this for my iPhone 6 Plus. Thanks.

I think the point is you are going on about your Samsung battery on an Apple post. No point. It isn't relevant.

My comment was merely about how dumb it is for someone to be happy they have to take their old phone in and pay for service to get the performance it's advertised at and claim it's a great deal and I provided a reason as to why I think that. I can't help that some dumbasses get butt hurt because I mentioned another manufacturer in an apple thread. Batteries have a limited life. I think it's dumb that any manufacturer makes it non replaceable. I think you're even dumber if you think having to pay for that battery service is a good deal.

My comment was merely about how dumb it is for someone to be happy they have to take their old phone in and pay for service to get the performance it's advertised at and claim it's a great deal and I provided a reason as to why I think that. I can't help that some dumbasses get butt hurt because I mentioned another manufacturer in an apple thread. Batteries have a limited life. I think it's dumb that any manufacturer makes it non replaceable. I think you're even dumber if you think having to pay for that battery service is a good deal.

Well, get ready for the real world when that phone no longer lives up to your standards. Most manufactures no long offer a replaceable battery.

Reactions: Liver
like this

Ah. Gotcha. There’s a place for that. It’s called Reddit. Look it up, you’ll fit right in.

Well, get ready for the real world when that phone no longer lives up to your standards. Most manufactures no long offer a replaceable battery.

It doesn't mean I can't express my opinion just because you don't like it.

Too many snowflakes round here.

Not once did I say I didn't like your opinion. I said your reasoning for buying that phone will become moot shortly, whether you like it or not.

Are you dense? This is a tech forum. This is where we discuss tech.

Whoa there Susan. I don’t think you know who the snowflake is. I just suggested a better tech forum for your views. Like I said, you’ll fit right in at Reddit.

Not once did I say I didn't like your opinion. I said your reasoning for buying that phone will become moot shortly, whether you like it or not.

You said because I said something about a samsung phone in an apple thread and something about being disappointed in a future phone living up to my standards when all I said was I thought it was stupid that someone was happy they had to pay money to replace a phone battery. You guys are the one trying to make it something more. Apple\android bs. I see them as phones that do the exact same things with slightly different hardware I couldn't give a fuck about you guys love for phones.

Whoa there Susan. I don’t think you know who the snowflake is. I just suggested a better tech forum for your views. Like I said, you’ll fit right in at Reddit.

Very insightful. Thank you.

I need this to happen soon. I wonder if they’ll offer a quick option with mailing a phone in. No apple store near me.

I've hated iOS 11 since day one. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice since that's what came on my iPhone X.

Back