So half the state of Florida to get a 8800GT ...lol

302efi

Gawd
So pretty much for the last few weeks I've been trying to pick up a used 8800GTS 320 for cheap to game at 1600x1050. After a long and pointless serch on the forsale forums, I went ahead and started checking the Bestbuys in Florida for a 8800GT...

I finally found one store all the way down in VEro beach that had them in stock...Call them up and they had 3 leave and they just got in the shipment...I had the girl hold one back behind the counter untill I made the 5 hour drive to get :D

This thing is a HUGE upgrade from my old 7800GTX :eek:

First I did a clean install of Vista so I could try the DX10 effects with it...Needless to say Vista sucks and I was getting about 20fps with everything on high at 1600x1050 :(

So I did a clean install of good ole XP Pro, newest drivers and I was set to go !

Using Fraps I'm knocking down 90fps with all high/extreme setting at the same res..Wow this thing has some balls...

What game?

I also had the same experience on Saturday. I was online and saw a couple BB's in my area had 8800gt's. I called one, they never answered their phone. I called the other, which is an hour away, and I gave her the SKU. She said "Oh, you want THAT. Let me check as I just saw 2 leave the store." She came back, told me she was holding the last one, and to come get it. :D

Oppps!

The Game is Hellgate: London

This is a whole new exp playing it with these settings !

A few weeks ago I went to my local Bestbuy about to pick one up, but some asshole in front of me bought all they had then...He bought 5 of them when they were on sale..Ebaying Motherfucker :mad:

So you drove 10 hours round trip to buy a video card? With the gas you burned, why didnt you just buy a GTS 512.

Yep 10 hours total :)

Well I had a couple gift cards for Bestbuy and I just sold (sent) my 7800GTX that day, so I needed something ASAP.

...but at the res I game at (1600x1050), I really don't need a GTS 512 and plus Bestbuy was out of those as well ;)

I spent 50 dollars once of driving to get a video card. Biggest mistake I made. Should have waited 3 days for newegg.

Yep 10 hours total :)

Well I had a couple gift cards for Bestbuy and I just sold (sent) my 7800GTX that day, so I needed something ASAP.

...but at the res I game at (1600x1050), I really don't need a GTS 512 and plus Bestbuy was out of those as well ;)

I have not clue why would anybody drive 10 hours when what you spend on gas you could have overnight shipped the card to your home. You must be very impatient.

I was at a compusa (checking out the closeout deals) they had the BFG 8800GT for $299 w/ 15% off. I saw that an i checked new egg from my phone and newegg had it for 290.... so i though they good deal $40 off it ill take it. I picked up the box an on the bottom of it there was a sticker for open item. It said DEFECTIVE CARD, MISSING CD's. I went the counter and asked what that was about... he was 1. really rude 2. not helpful at all... well i dont blame him since he is loosing his job. Anyway he was like yeah the card doesnt work. So i proceded to say "how come your selling it full price if its broken" he told me to get i fixed through BFG.... i was like yeah no thanks. Decided to see if best buy had anything good (i had $25 gift card)..... there on the shelf is a BFG 8800GT OC 512mb for 279.99.... which is still cheaper than newegg for the same card.... though ehh i got $25 gift card here so it makes it a decent price.... my gf said oh wait... pulled a 10% off coupon out of her purse. I got mine for $240 otd :D

I finally found one store all the way down in VEro beach that had them in stock...Call them up and they had 3 leave and they just got in the shipment...I had the girl hold one back behind the counter untill I made the 5 hour drive to get :D

Some people call that craziness, Others call it obsession. I call it dedication :)

Kudos to you!

So pretty much for the last few weeks I've been trying to pick up a used 8800GTS 320 for cheap to game at 1600x1050. After a long and pointless serch on the forsale forums, I went ahead and started checking the Bestbuys in Florida for a 8800GT...

This thing is a HUGE upgrade from my old 7800GTX :eek:

First I did a clean install of Vista so I could try the DX10 effects with it...Needless to say Vista sucks and I was getting about 20fps with everything on high at 1600x1050 :(

So I did a clean install of good ole XP Pro, newest drivers and I was set to go !

Using Fraps I'm knocking down 90fps with all high/extreme setting at the same res..Wow this thing has some balls...

Something was wrong with your Vista install if you were only getting 20fps. Vista doesn't "suck", it is well within 2-5% of XP framerates. User error.

302efi;1031946634]QUOTE]Something was wrong with your Vista install if you were only getting 20fps. Vista doesn't "suck", it is well within 2-5% of XP framerates. User error.

Installing Vista, installing drivers and updates is user error ?

...and Vista does SUCK...How many people that game would actually choose Vista (with its great drivers + hardware support) over XP ?

:rolleyes:

2-5% slower ?...Atleast you admit its slower

Installing Vista, installing drivers and updates is user error ?

...and Vista does SUCK...How many people that game would actually choose Vista (with its great drivers + hardware support) over XP ?

:rolleyes:

2-5% slower ?...Atleast you admit its slower

yeah, it is user error. Something went wrong.

Vista is far superior to Xp in many respects. It is inferior to XP in few.

I'm pretty sure it's because he was comparing DX10 to DX9. And we all know how well DX10 is performing right now :p

Damn that is some dedication to drive 10 hours round trip. Luckily the best buy 30min from me had them in stock back in November :p

And just to think, mine is coming via credit card and Step-Up - no real time involved .. But that is truly desperation... err dedication. :D

Something was wrong with your Vista install if you were only getting 20fps. Vista doesn't "suck", it is well within 2-5% of XP framerates. User error.

Vista doesn't suck? Ha. Ha ha ha. He he he ha ha ha he he *snarf* *chuckle* rofles ha ha ha ha ha ha hehe cackle ha ha ha ha... That gave me a good laugh, thank you.

Vista is OK on my laptop that came with it, but I expect that to be slow anyway 'cause it's got integrated graphics.

Maybe Vista doesn't totally suck, but Microsoft's marketing / pricing / license terms DO suck.

I was confused and trying to figure out what the OP was saying about half the people in the state of FL getting 8800GTs ~ maybe the government was buying a few million and handing them out in some sort of state program? Huh? I guess he just left out "drove accross" from the thread topic?

I can kind of understand, maybe driving an hour each way, at most, unless it was some kind of exclusive thing where there were only a few available in the whole country and the rest of the public wouldn't be able to get one for like 6 months to a year, or something.

...Vista install... User error.

Yes yes :p Installing Vista = user error :p

I'm an impulse buyer too and would go to lengths for something too...maybe it was nice day for a drive. play nice! ...good read =P

Damn english language. I read the title then opened the thread expecting something totally different. I thought that half of the people in Flordia were for some reason getting 8800gts. Low and behold, it was just worded that way.

Wow, the Vista vs XP is bad... It's almost like Mac vs PC.
I have Vista Ultimate X64 and I like it. I keep it over XP and would much rather use it because it supercaches all of my RAM and just feels snappier.

The 8800gt was out of stock almost everywhere in my area also except one major retailer. I ordered the card online from the retailer for in-store pickup. Instead of driving, I called the in-store-pickup location and asked them to ship it to the store nearest to my house. It was there the next day. I went in and picked it up having paid by credit card online. One week later the original in-store-pickup location canceled the charge from my credit card since I failed to show up. = free 8800gt

Back