So far: Liking my PS3 Slim, but...

I don't buy movies but rent them through Netflix. Netflix charges a dollar extra per month to rent Blu Ray so price is not a problem. I also give much more importance to the quality of the film itself than the quality of the media. But I would like it even better if I could have both and watch a great film in great quality media.

Today we have streaming HD content. You can download 1080p new releases from the Apple Store ($4.80 / rental) or Zune Marketplace ($6 / rental). Bandwidth is not a problem because you can start downloading the 10 GB file one hour before watching it and you'll have enough buffer. I have never ordered streaming because the high prices. Blu Ray rental with Netflix is much, much cheaper. If you rent 3 movies a week on Netflix's $19 plan, each Blu Ray costs $1.59.

Great picture makes a great movie even more enjoyable and that's where Blu Ray comes in. It's affordable, it's awesome, good selection among new releases. It's here to stay until Netflix can negotiate with movie studios to participate more in streaming video and come up with affordable streaming plans.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't replace any of my old DVDs with Blu-Ray. But I would also never buy a DVD again unless I absolutely had to. I also use Netflix, so it is pretty rare that I buy movies anyway (I own about 10 Blu-Rays total). Many upscaled DVDs do look very good, but they simply do not compare to a good Blu-Ray.

Better resolution won't make a movie better, but it can make my movie watching experience better. It is just like games to me. A great game with great graphics is preferable to a great game with decent graphics. Graphics won't make or break a game, but they certainly enhance the experience.

Yeah, thoe LOTR movies hold up really well as the DVD's are an excellent transfer.
In general, when looking at Blu-Ray movies at Best Buy, if they're $10...the transfers typically suck. Granted the normal DVD's are usually the same price, though.

Some of the movies I'd reconsider as a Blu-Ray would be the ones that were 4:3 but letterboxed to hell and called "widescreen." Those are the ones that look like a tiny rectangular box of a movie surrounded by 2/3 blank space on a normal HDTV.

True, but a lot of those were done that way because they were *filmed* in 4:3. If no widescreen format exists, you can't really expect a true widescreen transfer to ever be performed, after all :).

I did discover something cool today though: People sell new blurays on eBay for DIRT cheap. I snagged Coraline, sealed, for $5 with $3 shipping, 4 sets of 3D glasses (I know, I know...I HATE 3D glasses, but the GF has been wanting Coraline and even the DVD is $22 while the BD is $30 at retail, so I think I got a steal :).

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't replace any of my old DVDs with Blu-Ray. But I would also never buy a DVD again unless I absolutely had to. I also use Netflix, so it is pretty rare that I buy movies anyway (I own about 10 Blu-Rays total). Many upscaled DVDs do look very good, but they simply do not compare to a good Blu-Ray.

Better resolution won't make a movie better, but it can make my movie watching experience better. It is just like games to me. A great game with great graphics is preferable to a great game with decent graphics. Graphics won't make or break a game, but they certainly enhance the experience.

I agree that it can make the experience a bit better, I just don't place enough value on it that I worry about it too much. If the difference means the movie costs me double, I'd rather just pocket the difference and move on :).

Netflix definitely seems like the way to go with regards to bluray. It's just not a format I'm interested in dumping a lot of cash into. Of course, I'm also not really buying DVD's these days either; I'm sick of my living room looking like a damn video store :). I can't wait for digital and streaming to become dominant so physical media can die.

I agree that it can make the experience a bit better, I just don't place enough value on it that I worry about it too much. If the difference means the movie costs me double, I'd rather just pocket the difference and move on :).

Netflix definitely seems like the way to go with regards to bluray. It's just not a format I'm interested in dumping a lot of cash into. Of course, I'm also not really buying DVD's these days either; I'm sick of my living room looking like a damn video store :). I can't wait for digital and streaming to become dominant so physical media can die.

Couldn't agree more on all fronts. Netflix really has been a Godsend (only had it for a few months). I really wish I had signed up earlier. It allows me to enjoy the benefits of Blu-Ray without selling either of my kidneys. I think I pay something like $3 a month extra for having Blu-Ray, but it is well worth it for me.

Also agree on streaming. I have just reached a point where I don't want or need a physical disk taking up space (not that its a ton of space, but still). Is it possible to stream HD stuff at this point (like real high def, not the stuff Netflix calls "HD")? I would imagine with enough buffer time it can be done?

Couldn't agree more on all fronts. Netflix really has been a Godsend (only had it for a few months). I really wish I had signed up earlier. It allows me to enjoy the benefits of Blu-Ray without selling either of my kidneys. I think I pay something like $3 a month extra for having Blu-Ray, but it is well worth it for me.

Also agree on streaming. I have just reached a point where I don't want or need a physical disk taking up space (not that its a ton of space, but still). Is it possible to stream HD stuff at this point (like real high def, not the stuff Netflix calls "HD")? I would imagine with enough buffer time it can be done?

Zune on Xbox Live has much better HD streaming with 5.1 audio, but of course is much more expensive than netflix.

It's not streaming in the traditional sense, but HD on-demand from Comcast looks good and consistently has 5.1 audio.
None of those services can touch a Blu-Ray (especially on the audio front) but I think of it like we all thought of the 128k MP3's we were downloading in the late 90's. Hopefully in a few years we'll no longer care about file size and compression.

It's not streaming in the traditional sense, but HD on-demand from Comcast looks good and consistently has 5.1 audio.
None of those services can touch a Blu-Ray (especially on the audio front) but I think of it like we all thought of the 128k MP3's we were downloading in the late 90's. Hopefully in a few years we'll no longer care about file size and compression.

Bandwidth is really just a matter of time, of course. We'll be able to stream full bluray quality in a few short years, no problem. I was over at a buddy's place, he's on FiOS (bastard) at 50Mb down, 20Mb up-and you could stream pretty much any bluray in full quality over that (bluray's are generally in the 35-45Mb/s range).

Bluray is really a throwback to a dying age. It's days were numbered even back when it was just a failed IT backup proposition, before it was repurposed as a movie format.

dvd and bluray has a good 10 years yet over owning digital downloads. everyone probably has a dvd player. everyone has a choice of getting a bluray player. not everyone in the world will have the choice/fairuse/fast enough connection. theres still a massive percentage of the worlds population that doesnt even have a broadband connection. Unfortunately you/your friend and the US doesnt mean the rest of the world although you like to assume so! Is going to take much longer for digital movie downloads to take over than music did. As much as i want it to theres too big a difference in file size for that to happen

dvd and bluray has a good 10 years yet over owning digital downloads. everyone probably has a dvd player. everyone has a choice of getting a bluray player. not everyone in the world will have the choice/fairuse/fast enough connection. theres still a massive percentage of the worlds population that doesnt even have a broadband connection. Unfortunately you/your friend and the US doesnt mean the rest of the world although you like to assume so! Is going to take much longer for digital movie downloads to take over than music did. As much as i want it to theres too big a difference in file size for that to happen

The percentage of the world who don't have broadband connections don't likely have DVD players or HDTV's either, making your point utterly moot.

I certainly agree that DVD and bluray will be around for awhile. 10 years? Hard to say, but I do think that in 10 years, bluray and dvd will both be petering off into obscurity, where they belong.

File size isn't really the issue for digital streaming; a steady connection speed is. As long as you can buffer enough data to watch while the rest of the data streams live, you're good to go. New codecs, new compressions, new network speed improvements are making this more possible and more likely every day.

The percentage of the world who don't have broadband connections don't likely have DVD players or HDTV's either, making your point utterly moot.

I certainly agree that DVD and bluray will be around for awhile. 10 years? Hard to say, but I do think that in 10 years, bluray and dvd will both be petering off into obscurity, where they belong.

File size isn't really the issue for digital streaming; a steady connection speed is. As long as you can buffer enough data to watch while the rest of the data streams live, you're good to go. New codecs, new compressions, new network speed improvements are making this more possible and more likely every day.

trust me most of the so called third world have dvd players, although granted most dont buy retail dvds they just buy pirate copies! and file size does matter with more and more providers bringing back fair use policies

trust me most of the so called third world have dvd players, although granted most dont buy retail dvds they just buy pirate copies! and file size does matter with more and more providers bringing back fair use policies

Somehow I really don't trust you on that. I sincerely doubt that countries where people are scrounging around eating dirt and drinking filthy water are particularly worried about or can afford DVD players.

File size DOES NOT matter, and service providers aren't going to drop the unlimited bandwidth accounts any time soon. Some are experimenting with the pay-per-bandwidth model, but as was the case before, it'll fail.

Streaming is the future; bluray is a throwback to an era almost at its end.

i don't think EVERYTHING will be streamed

don't forget about offline use . . . . .

Netflix is REALLY pissing me off right now. If they're going to charge us extra for Blu-Ray, at least send me a fucking move once in a while.

capturelq.jpg

i don't think EVERYTHING will be streamed

don't forget about offline use . . . . .

I would guess that the majority of movies and shows will be streamed as a primary mode of distribution before too awful long. No doubt, though, some form of offline caching will have to be available in the event of outages and whatnot.

I simply think that the day of physical media is coming to an end, it's era shifting rapidly into the past as more and more devices, right down to the TV sets themselves, include software for streaming from networked sources. It's not just people clamoring for convenience who are pushing this paradigm shift; it's content companies looking to protect their IP. No physical media is as secure as a remote server that the user will never get physical access to, after all :).

Somehow I really don't trust you on that. I sincerely doubt that countries where people are scrounging around eating dirt and drinking filthy water are particularly worried about or can afford DVD players.

File size DOES NOT matter, and service providers aren't going to drop the unlimited bandwidth accounts any time soon. Some are experimenting with the pay-per-bandwidth model, but as was the case before, it'll fail.

Streaming is the future; bluray is a throwback to an era almost at its end.

if thats your impression of all so called third world countries then fine, id like to point out my Fathers origin, third world Pakistan (yes its still classed as third world!), most live in shacks etc they have some kind of electric and yes most have dvd players, i can walk round the majority of peoples shacks in my dads home village and they will have dvd players, they all have mobile phones aswell lol! Sure the electric goes of every few hours in the smaller parts that have it but they aint got broadband which is my point! like someone said earlier, places are only just getting the ps2!!

Again you think of justyour little bubble, Europe is strict (although many dont know) there are and have always been fair use policies in place, im not just talking about providers completely banning people but restricting bandwidth at peak times, usually 6pm - 11pm forcing people not to bother p2p usage or downloading/high quality streaming as much.

internet-speed.jpg

The average intenet speed in the US actually declined last year with the average speed being under 4Mbps. 5% of the US have speeds below 256Kbps, 24% are over 5Mbps, The US is classed as the country having the 12th highest average broadband connection in 2009 with South Korea being no1 with the average connection of 14Mbps in 2009

Europes average speed is 4Mbps
Asia/Pacific average Speed is roughly 4Mbps
North America is roughly 4Mbps (a decline since 2008!!)
Middle East is 1.3Mbps
Latin and South America is 1.2Mbps

Its taken 8 years since the release of Broadband to get us here. 15 years since the release of dvd. GLOBAL average internet speed is 1.7Mbps

Last edited:
if thats your impression of all so called third world countries then fine, id like to point out my Fathers origin, third world Pakistan (yes its still classed as third world!), most live in shacks etc they have some kind of electric and yes most have dvd players, i can walk round the majority of peoples shacks in my dads home village and they will have dvd players, they all have mobile phones aswell lol! Sure the electric goes of every few hours in the smaller parts that have it but they aint got broadband which is my point! like someone said earlier, places are only just getting the ps2!!

Again you think of justyour little bubble, Europe is strict (although many dont know) there are and have always been fair use policies in place, im not just talking about providers completely banning people but restricting bandwidth at peak times, usually 6pm - 11pm forcing people not to bother p2p usage or downloading/high quality streaming as much.

internet-speed.jpg

The average intenet speed in the US actually declined last year with the average speed being under 4Mbps. 5% of the US have speeds below 256Kbps, 24% are over 5Mbps, The US is classed as the country having the 12th highest average broadband connection in 2009 with South Korea being no1 with the average connection of 11Mbps in 2009

Europes average speed is 4Mbps
Asia/Pacific average Speed is roughly 4Mbps
North America is roughly 4Mbps (a decline since 2008!!)
Middle East is 1.3Mbps
Latin and South America is 1.2Mbps

Its taken 8 years since the release of Broadband to get us here. 15 years since the release of dvd

And 4Mb is still fine to stream movies, LOL. Point is, speeds are increasing and it's only a matter of time until enough people can stream video content that it's going to start biting into physical media sales.

It's humorous that shacks in Pakistan would have DVD players, LOL.

What the hell?

Have you ever been to a third-world country? They're not the post apocalyptic wastelands you may think they are.

What the hell? You have no concept of reality.

He has a concept hes just a maroon.

Third World is just a Cold War term the that Churchill and Roosevelt coined to describe Soviet Union - allied countries in the Asias. Its not a term describing poverty levels, although it is fairly common for third world countries to be poor due to their general inability to adjust to an industrial globalized economy. Of course to guys like this none of that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always find this comparison incredibly unfair and a total disservice to the PS3 since most games are designed for PC/360, then simply ported to PS3. Plus multiplatform titles for the most part have assets designed that are capable of being played on both systems to save development cost. So saying 'they look the same' makes it sound like they are similar hardware wise which is not true, most companies simply develop for them 'the same'. Look at games like Uncharted 2 that are designed for the PS3 and it's power and you won't be saying they look 'equal' to 360 anymore. The Helo sequence in UC2 is probably the most graphically/physics intense moment ever in gaming history and the 360 simply can not touch that.

He has a great, fair review. Then the fanbois come a calling. Who cares if some certain game made just for ps3 looks a tad better....not to mention you have NO comparison to 360 or pc since they are ps3 exclusives, get over it man.

Last edited:

Third World is just a Cold War term the that Churchill and Roosevelt coined to describe Soviet Union - allied countries in the Asias. Its not a term describing poverty levels, although it is fairly common for third world countries to be poor due to their general inability to adjust to an industrial globalized economy. Of course to guys like this none of that matters.

Apparently you're unable to read. I never said that third world countries don't exist, nor that it didn't describe poverty levels. I am VERY well aware of what a third world country is and is not.

I also understand that generally speaking, many of these nations are "unable to adjust" as a direct result of poor cultures in which no such concepts as RIGHTS exist, particularly pertaining to Individual Liberties and PROPERTY rights. Most of these countries remain somewhat tribal in organization, with their varying religions often dividing their populace into small, warring factions whose petty squabbles over the Invisible Man in the Sky cause nothing but destruction, death, starvation and misery to everyone involved.

I further understand that children such as yourselves are of such shallow intellect and character as to have no inkling of the causes and effects of these diseased cultures and thus are unable to look any further for solutions than your typical "Robin Hood" repair in which you advocate the enslavement of and theft from the "upper" classes in service of the "lower" classes.

Unfortunately, very few of you are smart enough to realize that the problem is with the very NOTION of classes itself, and that the simplest solution of all is a legal and moral recognition and defense of the rights of the INDIVIDUAL to his own life, his own achievements and his own earnings. But no, you prefer to advocate on behalf of theft and slavery, and pretend that you're somehow more "moral" than those who stand up for and defend RIGHTS on the basis of the Individual.

What the hell?

Have you ever been to a third-world country? They're not the post apocalyptic wastelands you may think they are.

Hmm, and yet, I wasn't the one who described them as shacks with DVD players to start with, was I? Way to pay attention.

Oh, wait.

I also understand that generally speaking, many of these nations are "unable to adjust" as a direct result of poor cultures in which no such concepts as RIGHTS exist, particularly pertaining to Individual Liberties and PROPERTY rights. Most of these countries remain somewhat tribal in organization, with their varying religions often dividing their populace into small, warring factions whose petty squabbles over the Invisible Man in the Sky cause nothing but destruction, death, starvation and misery to everyone involved.

Are we talking 3rd world as in South America or as in Africa? Because I've lived in a few places in South America (that considered themselves 3rd world countries) and wow, you sound like a total jackass.

How the hell does this have anything to do with the PS3? PS2 and Dreamcast were both HUGE down there, almost as a direct result of the easy piracy. You'd be hard pressed to find a place that sold un-modded PS2's.

What the hell kind of tangent has this thread sifted into?

Anyways, beat KZ2 last night, LOVED it. Did a really good job of portraying a warzone and had a pretty heightened sense of urgency. I can't believe how brutal they were with most of the characters, and I can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

Start Infamous afterwards. I HATE it when I have to pick good guy/bad guy, I always end up playing good, and meaning to play evil next play thru. Then next play-thru doesn't happen.

Are we talking 3rd world as in South America or as in Africa? Because I've lived in a few places in South America (that considered themselves 3rd world countries) and wow, you sound like a total jackass.

How the hell does this have anything to do with the PS3? PS2 and Dreamcast were both HUGE down there, almost as a direct result of the easy piracy. You'd be hard pressed to find a place that sold un-modded PS2's.

Anyways, beat KZ2 last night, LOVED it. Did a really good job of portraying a warzone and had a pretty heightened sense of urgency. I can't believe how brutal they were with most of the characters, and I can't wait for the inevitable sequel.

Start Infamous afterwards. I HATE it when I have to pick good guy/bad guy, I always end up playing good, and meaning to play evil next play thru. Then next play-thru doesn't happen.

He has no idea what he's talking about, its not worth responding to something so clearly devoid of knowledge. He has clearly never kept up in history class, and has never spent any real time outside of north hemisphere western country. So his understanding is America + England (and maybe Holland) = good (aka real democracy), Eastern Europe & Asia up to Japan = communists or former communists with no "real" economy and thinly veiled oppressive social regimes, and Southern hemisphere countries, which outside of Australia don't actually count as anything more than experiments in anachronisms. He's a ____, fill in your own 4 or 5 letter descriptive noun.

As for PS3, I would definitely pick up its exclusives, and sift through the multi platforms. Darksiders is supposed to be pretty good on PS3, although the tearing on 360 has been fixed now, and I recall the PS3 having lower texture res, but check that.

On my personal list MGS4 would sit at the top, but I consider MGS2 the best game I've ever played.

I found MGS3 soooOoooo much better than MGS2. Esp the last boss fight, and the plot actually made normal sense.

MGS4's split screen sections were EPIC. Some of the most epic gaming moments I've ever experienced.

I'm not sure how anyone could find it hard to grasp the concept of DVD players being insanley fucking cheap now and the rampant (to the point of very little original material on the market) piracy in poorer countries. Don't they give the things away in cereal boxes now anyway? :D

Will BR be the same in 10 years? Maybe...maybe not, the only thing stopping it is the fact a HD tv is needed to really benefit. Now unless 3d tv's drive your standard HD tv's prices down the shitter then it isn't gonna happen. However, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of physical media disappearing anytime soon....ppl like to have a collection and like Rash said, the broadband infrastructure just isn't there yet for the majority of the planet....Japan aside withe their crazy ass speeds of course.

Last edited:
I think we could see physical media mostly go away in 10 years. Look at CD's. They're still around, but they're on shaky legs.
As long as there's a quick way to get electronic versions and we have the storage capacity to keep them.
People are looking at electronic media from our current perspective too much. Remember 1995 when the thought of spending 30 minutes to download an MP3 that was 3-4MB was crazy? Of course it is when everyone's on dial-up and "broadband" was a crazy pipe dream that might come sometime next century. That and we all had hard drives that were only like 200MB. I have no reason to believe that technology won't give us faster/more stable internet in another 10 years. Ditto for HD capacity. Will it be everywhere? No - but it'll be in the places where the most money is spent.

I think we could see physical media mostly go away in 10 years. Look at CD's. They're still around, but they're on shaky legs.
As long as there's a quick way to get electronic versions and we have the storage capacity to keep them.
People are looking at electronic media from our current perspective too much. Remember 1995 when the thought of spending 30 minutes to download an MP3 that was 3-4MB was crazy? Of course it is when everyone's on dial-up and "broadband" was a crazy pipe dream that might come sometime next century. That and we all had hard drives that were only like 200MB. I have no reason to believe that technology won't give us faster/more stable internet in another 10 years. Ditto for HD capacity. Will it be everywhere? No - but it'll be in the places where the most money is spent.

The problem that most people who believe physical media will go away is the cost of bandwidth. We are seeing more and more providers emposing bandwidth caps and charging per GB. If you wanted to download Blu-Ray quality, ignoring download speed, it would hog up 25gb or 10% of Comcast's cap for one movie.

Now if you factor in overage charges your internet bill can start to skyrocket. Providers seem to be moving towards limiting bandwidth, not away from it.

In 1995 I was paying for internet usage *by the minute* for dial-up. A cell phone was the size of a brick and plan minutes weren't even double digits. Internet via cellular phones was science fiction. A lot can change in short period of time.
We're assuming that there will be no other medium for internet other than cable/phone lines.

He has no idea what he's talking about, its not worth responding to something so clearly devoid of knowledge. He has clearly never kept up in history class, and has never spent any real time outside of north hemisphere western country. So his understanding is America + England (and maybe Holland) = good (aka real democracy), Eastern Europe & Asia up to Japan = communists or former communists with no "real" economy and thinly veiled oppressive social regimes, and Southern hemisphere countries, which outside of Australia don't actually count as anything more than experiments in anachronisms. He's a ____, fill in your own 4 or 5 letter descriptive noun.

As for PS3, I would definitely pick up its exclusives, and sift through the multi platforms. Darksiders is supposed to be pretty good on PS3, although the tearing on 360 has been fixed now, and I recall the PS3 having lower texture res, but check that.

On my personal list MGS4 would sit at the top, but I consider MGS2 the best game I've ever played.

You guys may want to follow your own advice.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world.htm

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world.htm#regimes

Out of the 40+ countries listed (I didn't count), the only third world countries that can afford dvd players are:

Iran, Iraq, North Korea, China, Cuba.

And even those are debatable. Most countries on that list spend between $1-$10 PER DAY, while americans spend on average $114 per day.

Before you start bashing somebody and saying they have no idea what they are talking about, perhaps you guys may want to have an idea of what you are talking about.

Out of the 40+ countries listed (I didn't count), the only third world countries that can afford dvd players are:

Wiki quot!

Although the term continues to be used colloquially to describe the poorest countries in the world, this usage is widely disparaged since the term no longer holds any verifiable meaning after the fall of the Soviet Union deprecated the terms First World and Second World.

It all comes down to what you define as a "third world country". When I was in Argentina we took a day during history and we just argued whether the country was a third world country or not.

File size isn't really the issue for digital streaming; a steady connection speed is.

It's going to take a lot more than 10 years before movies and games are only digitally distributed.

In fact, I'd argue the Blu ray format will likely be around its peak popularity in 10 years. That should be well into the next console generation, and HDTV market penetration will be close to saturated.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be ready to be rid of physical formats (they're still selling plenty of CD's) in 10 years, but I definitely think digital will be more popular.

Back