So far: Liking my PS3 Slim, but...

Are you using the red and white RCA stereo output on the PS3 (analogue) Prologic max
vs.
HDMI on PS3 with DD and DTS options (digital) true 5.1 with full range sound?]

If so that explains it 100%.
Buy a cheap toslink optical cable for your xbox 360 and you'll notice they sound identical. Digital is Digital - the Recevier or output device makes little difference for a digital DD or DTS signal output.

Nope, I'm using optical on both, actually, and the PS3 is connected to my TV via HDMI while the 360 is hooked up via Component. For some reason, DVD's sound better coming from the PS3 (DTS 5.1) than from the 360. Picture quality is nicer on movies too.

So far, games sound and look about the same on both. I'd downloaded the demo of Killzone 2 earlier, hoping to be blown away, but it turns out it looks about the same as any other well polished shooter on PS3 or 360 :p

It's a shame you got the regular DVD of Star Trek as it's one of the best looking Blurays I've seen.

If you are tired of the floor space taken up by purchasing movies then I recommend one of the many rental options available. For me it's money well spent to watch 6-12 movies a month (in HD) for less than the price of most new releases.

The slow(and constant) firmware updates coupled with extremely slow network access is the primary reason I don't use my PS3 for games.

I'd downloaded the demo of Killzone 2 earlier, hoping to be blown away, but it turns out it looks about the same as any other well polished shooter on PS3 or 360 :p

FWIW the demo is one of the most least impressive areas in the game. It's the beginning level of the retail game.

The quantity of light sources made possible by deferred rendering, the quality of animation, and the post processing effects and particle+dust and THICK smoke are impressive even by PC game standards. The graphics have a film-like quality. I'm not a huge fan of FPS on consoles, the NPCs were annoying, I'll probably rent and not buy KZ3, but KZ2's graphics top many peoples list for 2009 for good reason. The only other console game I'd consider for best graphics award in 2009 is Uncharted 2. The village in chapter 16 is pure eye candy. :)

Eye of Judgement took four hours to install and update on my PS3 and DSL speed connection. That's sooooo incredibly lame...they really need to fix their patching process. Potentially let the patching process go one while you can still browse the blades or play PSN games or something...Locking up the PS3 for four hours when I had a friend over specifically to play the game was lame indeed.

Another annoyance is that I rarely play my PSP or PS3 - but it seems that most everytime I turn it on it wants to do some sort of horrifically slow update and I can't play until I update. That stupidity alone makes me not want to even try to play the PS3. The updates for firmware often take 30 minutes or an hour on my 60GB original release PS3. Contrast this ludicy to the Xbox 360 where firmware updates and patches RARELY if ever take more than 30 seconds to a couple minutes.

I do agree with your DVD upscaling. The quality is way better than my xbox360 for DVDs - but it still falls a bit short of my Bravo D1 DVD players upscaling capability. The oppo dvd player is another dvd player that still outclasses the PS3's upconvertor --- but -- the PS3 does have a good capability there.

are you using a wired or wireless internet connection ? the older Ps3 had a shitty internal wireless antenna switch to wired ethermet and BOOM it works awesome fast now !

Last edited:
The slow(and constant) firmware updates coupled with extremely slow network access is the primary reason I don't use my PS3 for games.

There's only been 3 firmware updates in the past 6 months, 2 of them optional.

It's a shame you got the regular DVD of Star Trek as it's one of the best looking Blurays I've seen.

If you are tired of the floor space taken up by purchasing movies then I recommend one of the many rental options available. For me it's money well spent to watch 6-12 movies a month (in HD) for less than the price of most new releases.

Yeah I have netflix, and that's undoubtedly how I'll be doing bluray because I just don't see any point in spending double per movie. I'm not *remotely* unhappy with the DVD of Star Trek though; it looks and sounds *phenomenal*.

FWIW the demo is one of the most least impressive areas in the game. It's the beginning level of the retail game.

The quantity of light sources made possible by deferred rendering, the quality of animation, and the post processing effects and particle+dust and THICK smoke are impressive even by PC game standards. The graphics have a film-like quality. I'm not a huge fan of FPS on consoles, the NPCs were annoying, I'll probably rent and not buy KZ3, but KZ2's graphics top many peoples list for 2009 for good reason. The only other console game I'd consider for best graphics award in 2009 is Uncharted 2. The village in chapter 16 is pure eye candy. :)

Well from what I saw in the demo, the animation is nothing special and the graphics are nowhere *near* "film like". There are tons of blurry textures and tons of really clean textures-the key is in the placement. They've smartly put all the really nice texture work into places your eye naturally goes to, and put the low rez textures in places where they likely don't go as often.

What you're seeing in Killzone is smart art design, nothing that's been clearly enabled by unique hardware. That's not a dig, just an observation-it does look pretty good, just not leaps and bounds beyond other games.

As for Uncharted, now there's a game that looks great. Again though, largely art design, but superbly conceived and implemented.

are you using a wired or wireless internet connection ? the older Ps3 had a shitty internal wireless antenna switch to wired ethermet and BOOM it works awesome fast now !

I was in fact using wireless.

I understand people have problems, I wonder if it's a networking issue ?

My 60gb takes about 5-10 minutes for a firmware update.

I've got a cable connection with a linksys g band router. If I watch the status of an in progress download from PSN, I've seen anywhere from .25 - 1MB per second, When the GoW3 E3 demo codes became active, it didn't slow down much at all. Got a little under 2GB in around 100 minutes.

The problem is firmware updates on Xbox 360 take all of 30 seconds, a 2GB download(connection permitting) takes 30 minutes or less, PSN is ungodly slow.

XBL when downloading demos will easily max out my 3.1MB(3200KBps) per second, at school(100mbit) sometimes it goes even faster, my PS3 takes a stupidly long amount of time to download anything(90mb downloads take 5 minutes).

The problem is firmware updates on Xbox 360 take all of 30 seconds, a 2GB download(connection permitting) takes 30 minutes or less, PSN is ungodly slow.

XBL when downloading demos will easily max out my 3.1MB(3200KBps) per second, at school(100mbit) sometimes it goes even faster, my PS3 takes a stupidly long amount of time to download anything(90mb downloads take 5 minutes).

Agreed, and I verified this morning. I set the PS3 to download a 1GB demo of Dante's inferno, then started the 360 downloading the same demo. 360 completed the download in 13 minutes, the PS3 took over an hour.

I don't blame the hardware-PS3 is perfectly capable of downloading every bit as fast as the 360 does-it's the network. PSN is just plain slow.

my PS3 averages about 2.1MB/s, which isn't my full speed, but it's not terrible for wireless.

Agreed, and I verified this morning. I set the PS3 to download a 1GB demo of Dante's inferno, then started the 360 downloading the same demo. 360 completed the download in 13 minutes, the PS3 took over an hour.

I don't blame the hardware-PS3 is perfectly capable of downloading every bit as fast as the 360 does-it's the network. PSN is just plain slow.
not the case for me, im on a shitty mobile broadband (up to 5meg) and i get 1gb in under 1/2 hour easily on PSN, 360 is about the same. There have been times where there has been a big psn release that the download has been slower but thats expected.

not the case for me, im on a shitty mobile broadband (up to 5meg) and i get 1gb in under 1/2 hour easily on PSN, 360 is about the same. There have been times where there has been a big psn release that the download has been slower but thats expected.

Yeah, and it may just be that something extra fancy released on PSN today that people were downloading and I didn't hear about it, who knows? What I can tell you so far is that people's impressions that 360's Live service is superior to PSN are pretty well justified.

Oh, and damn...I spent some time messing with Home today...what a LAME service. Avatars are ugly and have zero style, getting around is slow and tedious, every new door has to download new crap...just *ugh*. Wish they'd spent that money on something more useful instead of an in-home advertising network, which is all Home is.

They've smartly put all the really nice texture work into places your eye naturally goes to, and put the low rez textures in places where they likely don't go as often.

Every game does this. The graphics aren't notably above most other "polished console FPS" because not every single texture in the game is super detailed ? A decent texture with superior lighting is preferable to me than a super detailed texture with a single point light source.

What you're seeing in Killzone is smart art design, nothing that's been clearly enabled by unique hardware.

It's another topic for another thead, but I'll just saying briefly you should read up on the engine, because it's highly leveraging the PS3's unique features, it's not Unreal 3. From what I remember reading on B3D, some of the techniques and methods in the KZ2 deferred engine would be difficult to impossble to pull off on X360. The lighting and shadows are spectacular in the game. As much as the embedded edram helps, it's limiting in other ways. I'm not saying this game looks better than anything that could be done on X360, I'm saying it looks better than anything that has been done and it was built from the ground up for the PS3 hw. It's got a look that no other FPS has due to the engine's lighting and heavy use of smoke and particle effects made possible by the deferred engine running on Cell. The effects look better than most PC shooters. I don't think you get the same impression from only playing the demo, it doesn't get crazy yet, but you get an idea.

I think the difference is with 360, it can patch the firmware. PS3 has to download/rewrite the whole thing.

Most everything I hear about speed is anecdotal. I think it depends on your internet connection and geography. 15 minutes to download a 90MB file is ridiculous. I'm glad I've never seen my PSN that slow, I'd be pissed too.

For a free service, PSN is more than adequate for my needs.

Last edited:
my ps3 download speed is horrible. i'm talking 256k per sec slow. i am wired right to the modem too. when i run speedtest.net i get between 4-9mbps, it makes no sense at all.

Every game does this. The graphics aren't notably above most other "polished console FPS" because not every single texture in the game is super detailed ? A decent texture with superior lighting is preferable to me than a super detailed texture with a single point light source.

It's another topic for another thead, but I'll just saying briefly you should read up on the engine, because it's highly leveraging the PS3's unique features, it's not Unreal 3. From what I remember reading on B3D, some of the techniques and methods in the KZ2 deferred engine would be difficult to impossble to pull off on X360. The lighting and shadows are spectacular in the game. As much as the embedded edram helps, it's limiting in other ways. I'm not saying this game looks better than anything that could be done on X360, I'm saying it looks better than anything that has been done and it was built from the ground up for the PS3 hw. It's got a look that no other FPS has due to the engine's lighting and heavy use of smoke and particle effects made possible by the deferred engine running on Cell. The effects look better than most PC shooters. I don't think you get the same impression from only playing the demo, it doesn't get crazy yet, but you get an idea.

I think the difference is with 360, it can patch the firmware. PS3 has to download/rewrite the whole thing.

Most everything I hear about speed is anecdotal. I think it depends on your internet connection and geography. 15 minutes to download a 90MB file is ridiculous. I'm glad I've never seen my PSN that slow, I'd be pissed too.

Again, it has NOTHING to do with the connection speed that my PS3 was slow to update the firmware. Zero. Zilch. Nada. NOTHING. The download was fast-the *INSTALLATION* was slow.

That said, I realize they optimized KZ2 for PS3 as much as possible, and it does look good, I'm not saying it doesn't. What I'm saying is this: Nothing shown in the demo couldn't have been done on 360, not a single thing. I agree it looks better than many titles, but I wouldn't say it looks better than Lost Planet 2 or Gears of War 2, for example. Different art style, a little bit, but better? Not really. Especially LP2, which looks pretty awesome.

I agree that, for a free service, PSN is not bad at all. I can see why they don't charge for it, though; nobody would pay for it.

I said 5 minutes to download 90MB, which is something that(based on my connection speed) should only take 30 seconds. Also I think there is at the very least a trend of people complaining about slower speeds from PSN than what you get on XBL. I also think its comical that people say maybe PSN had a new major release, XBL never slows down THAT much even on new demo launches and its a lot more seamless to check for new content than on PS3(already on the dashboard vs launching PSN store)

I said 5 minutes to download 90MB, which is something that(based on my connection speed) should only take 30 seconds. Also I think there is at the very least a trend of people complaining about slower speeds from PSN than what you get on XBL. I also think its comical that people say maybe PSN had a new major release, XBL never slows down THAT much even on new demo launches and its a lot more seamless to check for new content than on PS3(already on the dashboard vs launching PSN store)

Well, Xbox Live doesn't slow much on new releases *any more*, but up until a couple of years ago it would :). And I have no idea if something new had released to slow down PSN at the same time as I had been downloading, I merely speculated.

In either case, as I've said a few times now, the slowness of PS3 in applying updates had ZERO to do with my download speeds, as those happened quickly enough. What was slow was the *installation*, which is inherently systemic and can't be blamed on the network in any way, shape or form.

GET UNCHARTED 2

My 2009 GOTY and IMHO the best single player action game since Half Life 2 and the Episodes. BUY IT :)

GET UNCHARTED 2

My 2009 GOTY and IMHO the best single player action game since Half Life 2 and the Episodes. BUY IT :)

LOL. Believe me, it's on the list, but I plan to get Uncharted 1 and play through it first, especially since I can get it for effectively $5 with the Dual Shock 3/uncharted bundle :)

Hard to imagine it being better than MGS4 in anything but visuals though (MGS4 isn't nearly as impressive looking as we were all lead to believe it would be, IMHO).

Well, the PS3 does have it's limits, but MGS4 did manage to impress me and I'm used to playing PC games. So that's worth something.

Well, the PS3 does have it's limits, but MGS4 did manage to impress me and I'm used to playing PC games. So that's worth something.

I'm not saying it's a *bad* looking game, it certainly looks good, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been done on a PC or 360 just as easily, and probably more so :). The cut scenes are fantastic (if a little overly long), and in fact, I'd say the facial animation on the characters is *much* better than what we're seeing in the Heavy Rain trailers.

I'm enjoying MGS4 a LOT, I've already put in 17 hours on it. My point is just, for a game that was supposed to show us something that no other platform could do...it hasn't :p

I'm not saying it's a *bad* looking game, it certainly looks good, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been done on a PC or 360 just as easily, and probably more so :). The cut scenes are fantastic (if a little overly long), and in fact, I'd say the facial animation on the characters is *much* better than what we're seeing in the Heavy Rain trailers.

I'm enjoying MGS4 a LOT, I've already put in 17 hours on it. My point is just, for a game that was supposed to show us something that no other platform could do...it hasn't :p
if you had the game when it first came out your opinion would have been a little different different, the game is ancient now in the gaming world. The game was overhyped but i dont remember it being touted as something that could not have been done on any other system apart from the size of the game fitting on 1 bluray vs multiple dvds.

if you had the game when it first came out your opinion would have been a little different different, the game is ancient now in the gaming world. The game was overhyped but i dont remember it being touted as something that could not have been done on any other system apart from the size of the game fitting on 1 bluray vs multiple dvds.

Yeah, even Kojima claimed it could "only be on PS3", which was, of course, completely ridiculous. I'm actually quite convinced that the *only* thing taking up the space on that bluray to any excessive amount is the uncompressed audio, LOL.

I'm not sure I'd agree that a game that's barely a year and a half old is "ancient", but I know what you mean-it's not riding with the current cream of the crop. After all, every generation, every console, without exception-has its best looking games later in life.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game, especially in that they seem to be tying up a lot of loose ends from MGS2 and 3 in particular. I've just gotten to Shadow Moses Island, which is a damn slick re-imagining of the first game's environments (everything's almost exactly the same, just higher detail!), so gobs of nostalgia here as well.

All in all, my experience so far confirms what I've suspected all along (and seen in little snippits via friends' PS3's): that PS3 and 360 games are and will continue to be virtually identical, with no significant deviations that are likely to go unmatched on the competition's consoles.

Which is fine, of course. I know a lot of 360 and PS3 fanboys take exception, because they desperately want to cling to the delusion of their console's superiority, but hell, as long as the games are fun and look great, who gives a rip? :)

i love the shadow moses ps1/cutscene, really took me back, then when he snaps out of it! Classic moment in gaming! Did you get motorstom 2 in the end?

@DragonMasterAlex

I saw that you were using PlayOn for streaming to the PS3. I didn't see this in the thread(or missed it) but have you tried PS3 Media Server?

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Converts all media on the fly for streaming and I've never had a hitch streaming anything, including BD rips. That's on CAT5 and an old Linksys WRT54G router.

i love the shadow moses ps1/cutscene, really took me back, then when he snaps out of it! Classic moment in gaming! Did you get motorstom 2 in the end?

I was gonna, but I downloaded the demo and...I didn't really care for it. The graphics and controls were great, but the game didn't have a sense of speed to it at all, which I was very bummed about! :(

Edit: I completely agree about the MGS1 flashback, it was a pretty awesome scene that really does take you back! Rare to get that kind of good stuff in a game :)

Last edited:
@DragonMasterAlex

I saw that you were using PlayOn for streaming to the PS3. I didn't see this in the thread(or missed it) but have you tried PS3 Media Server?

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

Converts all media on the fly for streaming and I've never had a hitch streaming anything, including BD rips. That's on CAT5 and an old Linksys WRT54G router.

Not yet, but I plan to. As I understand it, they do two different things (PlayOn basically I just use to pull streams from Hulu, though on PS3 I could totally see also using it for Netflix). I've heard nothing but great things about PS3 Media Server though, so it's on my list!

get Demon's Souls, then you'll know what it really feels like to be a bitch

shit, it doesn't matter if you want to know what that feels like or not, Demon's Souls WILL make you feel that way

if Demon's Souls knew you were talking about not buying the game, it would come and kick the shit out of you, and you'd deserve it

beating this game is probably worth a lifetime achievement award

So I got my PS3 Netflix disk today, and excitedly decided to try it out to see how it stacks up.

It's AWFUL. Unbelievably slow and clunky interface, and for some reason when watching TV shows in your Instant Queue it drops back to the main menu of the netflix app when an episode completes. Consequently you have to navigate all the way back through the menus to get back to the series so you can watch the next episode.

Simply *TERRIBLE*. Definitely won't be using it again on PS3, sad to say.

Back