So far: Liking my PS3 Slim, but...

So, here’s my thoughts so far:

LBP is *awesome*. Blows away almost every other game this gen, especially the “realistic” garbage! BRILLIANT art design!

MGS4 looks pretty good, but certainly no better than games like Modern Warfare 2. Controls suck, but I got used to them after an hour or so.

God of War Collection kicks ass. Looks very nice. Clearly still just an upscaled PS2 game, but the filtering and other enhancements make it passable, like a first gen PS3 or 360 title almost. Still a great game!

PS3 itself-is not a consumer friendly product *at all*. Out of the box I had to manually enable Optical audio out (connecting an HDMI cable automatically disables all other audio output. Why? Silly!), then find out which codecs my receiver supported and manually enable those before it would work. The download of the firmware update was fast (5 minutes) but the install was retarded (literally, 30+ minutes. WTF?). Software updates to games are unbelievably slow. 2 HOURS to update MGS4 so I could play it, 20 minutes to update LBP. Mind you, I’m on a 10MB connection, and the downloads themselves were speedy enough, it’s the installation process that's slow, which is systemic. Four other friends have told me that's the way theirs are as well. Why is it so mind numbingly slow?

Installing demos after download is lame and varies wildly. Fairytale Fights took about 30 seconds, Ghostbusters about 5 MINUTES. Why? Ridiculous.

DVD playback is GORGEOUS. Easily the best upscaling dvd player I’ve ever seen, not even a question. Pisses all over the 360’s upscaling and even passed up my dedicated DVD player’s upscaling. Nice indeed. Haven’t played or bought any bluray movies, but I don’t really care, either. Only way I’d buy the bluray version over the DVD version is if they were the same exact price, *maybe* a dollar more. With the upscaling, though, I don’t think there’d be a need in most cases anyway.

Audio output is phenomenal-easily better than 360’s, especially on DVD’s. Star Trek sounds and looks better than ever when played on the PS3.

The lack of an IR port for the universal remotes is lame, as the selection of Bluetooth capable remotes is simply awful. And the dedicated PS3 dvd remote is garbage, useful for absolutely *nothing* but the PS3, it has no IR port for compatibility with other devices, making it essentially useless. I’ll just keep using the controller, I guess.

I love the design of the slim. It’s sexy, relatively small (compared to the phat) and has a nice finish instead of that “ghetto fabulous” gloss crap on the old model. I’m still not sold on the controller, because even though it’s dual shock 3 it still feels a little too light and flimsy compared to the solid heft of a 360 controller. It’s also not nearly as ergonomic or comfortable, but then, we’ve been dealing with the exact same controller shape since 1995, *sigh*.

All in all, I really like the system. The games, of course, look about the same as 360 games, but the audio is way better (and I’m using an optical connector on both), especially on movie playback. It doesn’t do *streaming* as well as the 360 does (for some reason the PS3 stutters video from Hulu, streamed via PlayOn media server, while the 360 does not, from the same server. Errors in the server event log indicate that PS3 doesn’t handle the DLNA implementation correctly, which is probably why. Hopefully it gets fixed in a firmware update).

I love that I can stream stuff from the PS3 to the PSP, I just wish the PSP had a more reliable battery. Even my double capacity battery only lasts about 3 hours with wifi enabled. So far the functionality of streaming to PSP from a remote location over the internet is spotty-sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, which is a bit of a drag, but to be expected.

Anyway, glad to add the system and a few games to my library. So far I have MGS4, LBP, Warhawk and GoW Collection. I plan to snag Motorstorm next week, since gamestop has it for $9.99 used, and it seems like a nice HD Excite Truck type game, so hopefully I’ll enjoy it.

Good mini review!!

you compared mgs4 released in June 2008 graphics to a game just released, at the time mgs4 looked gobsmacking, although now it does look dated obviously when compared to mw2 and u2 etc.

as for patches your not forced to update a game (MGS4 has a ridiculous update for online play) just to play the single player element you can just press cancel and the game will load as normal. Also just stay aware on some older games there are a lot of patches/dlc updates, ie burnout, pain, lbp, and they will take a long long time to update if your only just getting those games.

Not sure what happened with your ps3 firmware update, it takes around 5 mins to install on my 250gb fat and 250gb slim. I also have heard that some peoples firmwares took ages to update, wierd.

i also think your batteries are knackered on your psp, i have the go and easily get 4 hours playback with wifi enabled.

Id definately get motorstorm 2 if your looking for online play etc as the community is very big (big patches though be warned, due to bug fixes and extra content!) ,you should be able to get it very cheap now. Its definately better than excite truck (i was a big fan of it!)

hope you enjoy the ps3 add me to your friends list for some motorstorm 2 if you like!

I bought my Slim last month, and while I agree that general setup was painfully slow in comparison to anything else I've ever owned, in no way did MGS4 take that long for me. I have to think it was your connection, because it took less than 20 minutes on my end.
I love the PS3, and it makes me wish I had bought one long ago. Too damn expensive comes to mind as one reason I waited so long...

PS3 patching system is freaking awful... and sadly it appears it's never going to change.

Just be glad you haven't had to update something like Motorstorm. :(

the PS3 is great but it does have it's downfalls. Dl speed blows updates take forever
Upscaling dvd's is awesome I know

MGS4 looks pretty good, but certainly no better than games like Modern Warfare 2. Controls suck, but I got used to them after an hour or so.
Very fair, comparing a game that just came out to one almost 2 years old. The controls are actually really good once you get used to them. It's just different. [/quote]
All in all, I really like the system. The games, of course, look about the same as 360 games, but the audio is way better
I always find this comparison incredibly unfair and a total disservice to the PS3 since most games are designed for PC/360, then simply ported to PS3. Plus multiplatform titles for the most part have assets designed that are capable of being played on both systems to save development cost. So saying 'they look the same' makes it sound like they are similar hardware wise which is not true, most companies simply develop for them 'the same'. Look at games like Uncharted 2 that are designed for the PS3 and it's power and you won't be saying they look 'equal' to 360 anymore. The Helo sequence in UC2 is probably the most graphically/physics intense moment ever in gaming history and the 360 simply can not touch that.

I'm loving mine, but I hate the whole Download and then Install process for demo. Spoiled by Steam I guess. Valkyrie Profile is consuming me right now, and I can't wait to finish it up so I can continue on Dead Space.

Very fair, comparing a game that just came out to one almost 2 years old. The controls are actually really good once you get used to them. It's just different.

Stop this nonsense. MW2 runs on an engine older than MGS4. It's perfectly fine to compare the two in the graphics department.

Eye of Judgement took four hours to install and update on my PS3 and DSL speed connection. That's sooooo incredibly lame...they really need to fix their patching process. Potentially let the patching process go one while you can still browse the blades or play PSN games or something...Locking up the PS3 for four hours when I had a friend over specifically to play the game was lame indeed.

Another annoyance is that I rarely play my PSP or PS3 - but it seems that most everytime I turn it on it wants to do some sort of horrifically slow update and I can't play until I update. That stupidity alone makes me not want to even try to play the PS3. The updates for firmware often take 30 minutes or an hour on my 60GB original release PS3. Contrast this ludicy to the Xbox 360 where firmware updates and patches RARELY if ever take more than 30 seconds to a couple minutes.

I do agree with your DVD upscaling. The quality is way better than my xbox360 for DVDs - but it still falls a bit short of my Bravo D1 DVD players upscaling capability. The oppo dvd player is another dvd player that still outclasses the PS3's upconvertor --- but -- the PS3 does have a good capability there.

Last edited:
Eye of Judgement took four hours to install and update on my PS3 and DSL speed connection. That's sooooo incredibly lame...they really need to fix their patching process. Potentially let the patching process go one while you can still browse the blades or play PSN games or something...Locking up the PS3 for four hours when I had a friend over specifically to play the game was lame indeed.

Another annoyance is that I rarely play my PSP or PS3 - but it seems that most everytime I turn it on it wants to do some sort of horrifically slow update and I can't play until I update. That stupidity alone makes me not want to even try to play the PS3. The updates for firmware often take 30 minutes or an hour on my 60GB original release PS3. Contrast this ludicy to the Xbox 360 where firmware updates and patches RARELY if ever take more than 30 seconds to a couple minutes.

I do agree with your DVD upscaling. The quality is way better than my xbox360 for DVDs - but it still falls a bit short of my Bravo D1 DVD players upscaling capability. The oppo dvd player is another dvd player that still outclasses the PS3's upconvertor --- but -- the PS3 does have a good capability there.

Ditto - we only use for playing BD and the update times are annoying.

For a while the wife was frustrated because she would flip video inputs (via the Harmony) and be stuck on a Folding@home (or whatever they call it now) screen and couldn't exit without a real controller (something about an update she couldn't get out of). She would just power cycle it. Silly :mad: Cleared up after I installed the latest system update - 20 minutes while my 4yr old and 2yr old waited to watch WALL-E or whatever.

Yes patching and especially firmware updates take F*O*R*E*V*E*R for no reason it seems.

I'm not quite sure why you refuse to buy blurays (DVD is unwatchable after seeing bluray IMO) and calling the original ps3 design "ghetto fabulous" but the rest of your complains are quite valid.

Stop this nonsense. MW2 runs on an engine older than MGS4. It's perfectly fine to compare the two in the graphics department.
Modern Warfare 2 hasnt been tweaked in the graphics department since modern warfare 1? :rolleyes:

So by your theory Uncharted 2 has probably one of the oldest game engines and yet its unmatched graphically in this gens consoles. Its perfectly fine to compare Uncharted 2s Graphics to Call Of Duty 3!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I understand people have problems, I wonder if it's a networking issue ?

My 60gb takes about 5-10 minutes for a firmware update.

I've got a cable connection with a linksys g band router. If I watch the status of an in progress download from PSN, I've seen anywhere from .25 - 1MB per second, When the GoW3 E3 demo codes became active, it didn't slow down much at all. Got a little under 2GB in around 100 minutes.

Some games take a while to install though. MGS4 is like that. Uncharted 2 takes its time loading a SP save too.

I’m still not sold on the controller, because even though it’s dual shock 3 it still feels a little too light and flimsy compared to the solid heft of a 360 controller. It’s also not nearly as ergonomic or comfortable, but then, we’ve been dealing with the exact same controller shape since 1995, *sigh*.

If it's not broke, don't fix it ? It's made for average to small sized Japanese hands. They might have an aftermarket controller that fits better.

Anyway, glad to add the system and a few games to my library. So far I have MGS4, LBP, Warhawk and GoW Collection.

MGS4 and LBP are nice but not graphics powerhouses. Although I saw touches of brilliance in the GoW3 demo. If what hophop gamer has to say is just partially true, the full retail GoW3 will easily be the new graphics king.

I would recommend checking out some more games if you expect to see a difference in the graphics. Uncharted 2's action set pieces and outdoor environments impressed me.

Killzone 2, a by the numbers bald space marine game, is worth a rental if only to admire the graphics. Wipeout HD Fury in 1080P is pretty.

Last edited:
Ok, typing this from my phone, so forgive me on spelling just in case :) I'm gonna try to go a general reply to comments rather than every individual post, purely for ease of answering.

Graphics: I'm not complaining, I see no problem with the fact that ps3 games are on par with 360 games, as both systems have a very similar level of horsepower to work with. While we'll continue to see both systems with improving graphics, and both platform holders claiming the compettion couldn't run said game. I don't think we'll EVER see the day when either 360 or ps3 consistently offers titles with such a graphical disparity as to make one think "wow, that's like the difference between Wii and ps3 or 360!". It just ain't gonna happen, and that's fine. Both are capable of producing gorgeous games.

Sound: PS3 bounces 360 on DVD sound output, it's not even close. That said, both can produce great sound in games. Ps3 will always have an edge here, but of course, that's only meaningful to the extent that developers make use of it and that you have a sound system able to highlight that diff.

Bluray: my reason for not buying them is simple: I don't think it's of significant enough difference to warrant paying double, nor to replace movies I already own on DVD. Bluray looks nice, to be sure, but I could only see myself caring on movies with big SFX. I simpl don't care whether I can see Ben Affleck's pores in Chasing Amy :). Now, if I can get the bluray for the same price as the DVD, I'll buy the bluray. However, I'm not buying many movies anymore; I prefer digital copies via streaming or downloading, because I'm tired of wasting floor space in my house for shelving that makes my living room look like a video store :)

Glossy: if you've ever been to those furniture stores that seem to be in a perpetual state of "going out of business!", catering largely to poor neighborhoods, you'll notice that almost everything is lacquered and glossy. People who don't know any better think this stuff is "fancy", but it's usually just chipboard crap. This is what the phat ps3 looks like to me (and if you've ever seen the chrome letters flaking off of one of these models, the effect of looking cheap is intensified tenfold). Suffice to say, I like the Matte black slim MUCH better. Plus, it doesn't collect dust or fingerprints like the glossy ghetto fabulous model does.

Updates: as I mentioned, my updates have *downloaded * fast (I'm on a cat6 cable to a gig switch with a router on a 10Mb fiber connection), the slow part has been the installation, which indicates a systemic issue. I presume it's simply the way they handle installation.

Hardware: of COURSE 360 and ps3 are in the same class of computing hardware. He'll, Cell and Xenon are based on the same main core, designed by the same designers, made by the same company. That's not a dig, just a fact-they're very similar systems, eac with it's peculiar strengths and weaknesses but wit an overall similar level of capability. There's no harm or insult in that; both are solid systems with exclusives worth owning and worth playing :)

GoW3 is a nice looking demo. Played it at E3, gonna download it when I get home today as well. It does look great, but I wouldn't call it a generational leap. Still, very nice and I'm trying to finish gow 1&2 on ps3 before it hits.

I WOULD say LBP is a graphics powerhouse, though, stemming from it's brilliant art design and fluid animation. Truly a masterpiece. I'd take lbp over ANY "realistic" game, as I think realism is a waste of the capabilities of ps3 and 360.

Gimme great ART design, dammit! If I want realism I'll go for a drive :)

After the last few years of PC Gaming the PS3 graphics are just ok. That's not what I bought the console for anyway.

Do yourself a favor and play Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2

Definitely will, especially uncharted. Killzone 1 was a rotting turd of a game, so I'll probably just rent 2 before making any purchase decisions, but I do understand that it looks phenomenal :)

Sound: PS3 bounces 360 on DVD sound output, it's not even close. That said, both can produce great sound in games. Ps3 will always have an edge here, but of course, that's only meaningful to the extent that developers make use of it and that you have a sound system able to highlight that diff.

Exactly what sound system are you working with because I previously had the Denon flagship AVR-5700 (which was a $4500 dollar receiver) in the late 1990's and I couldn't tell the difference between my PS3 and Xbox 360 using optical toslink. 5.1 digital out of both sounded like 5.1 DD - both sounded fantastic and there was no distinction to which 5.1 sound was better IMO.

I now have a Onkyo SR-805 - about a $1000 dollar receiver at the time of it's release (yes some may say this is a downgrade, but it brought me into this decade with 1.3x HDMI and is a well respected receiver for the price) and I still can't tell a difference between the two systems using HDMI digital DD.

I've never really read about anyone else saying the PS3's sound output is superior --- except in the fact that it can offer DD-HD and DTS-MA which both are over-rated in my opinion since there is very very very little source material that supports it.

I am on Comcast cable internet and I have never seen a super long update time on my non slim PS3. I don't know why some people have the slow update issue and some don't. :confused:

I am on Comcast cable internet and I have never seen a super long update time on my non slim PS3. I don't know why some people have the slow update issue and some don't. :confused:
I'm guessing you don't sit there watching it... because they all update slow, no matter how fast your network connection is. Then again, "slow" is very much an individual thing. I found the MGS4 install times to be horrendous, but others tell me they weren't that bad.

I think for me it's that I get very limited gaming time, and 10-15 mins worth of updates can cut a large chunk out of that.

DVD playback is GORGEOUS. Easily the best upscaling dvd player I’ve ever seen, not even a question. Pisses all over the 360’s upscaling and even passed up my dedicated DVD player’s upscaling. Nice indeed. Haven’t played or bought any bluray movies, but I don’t really care, either. Only way I’d buy the bluray version over the DVD version is if they were the same exact price, *maybe* a dollar more. With the upscaling, though, I don’t think there’d be a need in most cases anyway.

I have been playing some DVD's and they look like crap actually.... is there any way to tweak the up scaling?

I've never really read about anyone else saying the PS3's sound output is superior --- except in the fact that it can offer DD-HD and DTS-MA which both are over-rated in my opinion since there is very very very little source material that supports it.

Yeah that part really makes no sense.... The PS3 does do a slightly better job at upscaling the video but the audio off of a regular DVD should be identical. If I'm wrong please let me know, as I play dts music dvds off my xbox all the time to love on the audio quality.

DD-HD and DTS-MA which both are over-rated in my opinion since there is very very very little source material that supports it.

Uh, most Blu-rays ship with one or the other. Its far from overrated and is in fact, half the reason to switch to the format. Fact is most people care less about sound than a picture and therefore probably aren't even aware of the benefits available.

Do you even have your system setup properly? it would be LPCM vs DD not DD-HD / DTS -MA vs DD.

In regards to the lack of next gen source material

NEW Audio Tier Thread

That looks plenty to me

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1190265

Last edited:
The lack of an IR port for the universal remotes is lame, as the selection of Bluetooth capable remotes is simply awful. And the dedicated PS3 dvd remote is garbage, useful for absolutely *nothing* but the PS3, it has no IR port for compatibility with other devices, making it essentially useless. I’ll just keep using the controller, I guess.

I bought the Blu-Wave remote for ~$20 on Amazon marketplace and the IR receiver works great with my Harmony 880 remote. Yes, it is still IR, but Harmony is awesome. Worth $20 for the IR adapter, IMO.

Exactly what sound system are you working with because I previously had the Denon flagship AVR-5700 (which was a $4500 dollar receiver) in the late 1990's and I couldn't tell the difference between my PS3 and Xbox 360 using optical toslink. 5.1 digital out of both sounded like 5.1 DD - both sounded fantastic and there was no distinction to which 5.1 sound was better IMO.

I now have a Onkyo SR-805 - about a $1000 dollar receiver at the time of it's release (yes some may say this is a downgrade, but it brought me into this decade with 1.3x HDMI and is a well respected receiver for the price) and I still can't tell a difference between the two systems using HDMI digital DD.

Well my experience is based off of watching the Star Trek DVD (new movie) on Saturday. I first watched about 20 minutes of it on the 360, then about the same on my upscaler (though that doesn't have TOSLINK, it has a regular digital out), then finally on the PS3. I'm using an Onkyo receiver (I forget the exact model, but it's a 6.1 system I've had for maybe 4 years) with a set of Polk 5.1's (rears are wireless using, of all things, a Rocketfish wireless surround receiver/transmitter kit connected to my polks). To me, the sound difference was night and day, and it was to such an extent that while I'd had the sound at 55 from the 360, I had to turn it down to 40 from the PS3. Odd, but there it is :p

I'm guessing you don't sit there watching it... because they all update slow, no matter how fast your network connection is. Then again, "slow" is very much an individual thing. I found the MGS4 install times to be horrendous, but others tell me they weren't that bad.

I think for me it's that I get very limited gaming time, and 10-15 mins worth of updates can cut a large chunk out of that.

Yeah for me, the *download* wasn't the slow part (10Mb fiber), it completed relatively quickly. What took forever was the *installation*, which has nothing to do with my connection speed.

I have been playing some DVD's and they look like crap actually.... is there any way to tweak the up scaling?

Honestly I don't know. Whatever the DVD settings might be, mine are at default. The only DVD I've had a chance to watch all the way through was Star Trek, though I did watch a little of "An Evening with Kevin Smith 2" and some "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia", neither of which feature anything where a higher resolution would have much (if any) meaning :p

I bought the Blu-Wave remote for ~$20 on Amazon marketplace and the IR receiver works great with my Harmony 880 remote. Yes, it is still IR, but Harmony is awesome. Worth $20 for the IR adapter, IMO.

Awesome, I haven't seen that one, I will have to check it out! Still sucks to have to swallow a USB port and have a dongle sticking out of the front of the PS3 though :p

OK, so...I played Killzone 2 last night. It looks very good--but no better than Gears 2 or MW2 on 360. It's like any other shooter this gen, to me: lots of very pretty eye candy, but you can easily see where they cut corners. Look at the ground, which is a flat surface textured with a picture of rocks (which happens in most games, so it's not a dig, just sayin' :) ). Things where they expect you to get up close are nicely detailed-things where they don't have blurry textures.

All in all the game looks fantastic, but I don't see how anybody could use it as an example of "superior graphics" for a platform.

Now back to MGS4 :D

Awesome, I haven't seen that one, I will have to check it out! Still sucks to have to swallow a USB port and have a dongle sticking out of the front of the PS3 though :p

I just wanted to say that the new Harmony IR-to-BT dongles no longer take up a USB port. Mine just plugs into the wall. It actually doesn't even have to be near the PS3 as it is connected via BT. I have mine sitting up by my tv because I sometimes have LOS issues with my PS3 (read: have to put my ottoman in front of it because my 9 month old likes to push the buttons).

I just wanted to say that the new Harmony IR-to-BT dongles no longer take up a USB port. Mine just plugs into the wall. It actually doesn't even have to be near the PS3 as it is connected via BT. I have mine sitting up by my tv because I sometimes have LOS issues with my PS3 (read: have to put my ottoman in front of it because my 9 month old likes to push the buttons).
Yep, it just requires power, no USB ports or anything. You won't be able to use your dedicated PS3 remote anymore once the Logitech IR-to-BT adapter is added to the PS3's Bluetooth device list. However, it is one of the best purchases to make if you use a Harmony remote for all of your other devices. I've got a Harmony 670 that it works perfectly with, including full power-up and shut-down functionality.

Yep, it just requires power, no USB ports or anything. You won't be able to use your dedicated PS3 remote anymore once the Logitech IR-to-BT adapter is added to the PS3's Bluetooth device list. However, it is one of the best purchases to make if you use a Harmony remote for all of your other devices. I've got a Harmony 670 that it works perfectly with, including full power-up and shut-down functionality.

sweet deal, that's good to know. I'll have to snag one of those then, I wasn't at all fond of the idea of a dongle :).

That said, I still think the lack of an IR port standard is just lame :)

sweet deal, that's good to know. I'll have to snag one of those then, I wasn't at all fond of the idea of a dongle :).

That said, I still think the lack of an IR port standard is just lame :)

Agreed. The converter is a pretty good solution, but it is annoying that IR wasn't included in the first place.

Well my experience is based off of watching the Star Trek DVD (new movie) on Saturday. I first watched about 20 minutes of it on the 360, then about the same on my upscaler (though that doesn't have TOSLINK, it has a regular digital out), then finally on the PS3. I'm using an Onkyo receiver (I forget the exact model, but it's a 6.1 system I've had for maybe 4 years) with a set of Polk 5.1's (rears are wireless using, of all things, a Rocketfish wireless surround receiver/transmitter kit connected to my polks). To me, the sound difference was night and day, and it was to such an extent that while I'd had the sound at 55 from the 360, I had to turn it down to 40 from the PS3. Odd, but there it is :p

Are you using the red and white RCA stereo output on the PS3 (analogue) Prologic max
vs.
HDMI on PS3 with DD and DTS options (digital) true 5.1 with full range sound?]

If so that explains it 100%.
Buy a cheap toslink optical cable for your xbox 360 and you'll notice they sound identical. Digital is Digital - the Recevier or output device makes little difference for a digital DD or DTS signal output.

sixsense,

I didn't realize the list had gotten that big. Last I had looked - admitittedly when I bought my new SR-805 - there were like a dozen titles or something that supported DD-HD or DTS-MA.

Thanks for the list and correction.

I do have my stuff setup properly. I have the phat PS3 so I have to use the PS3 to do the decoding rather than my receiver to get the DDHD or DTSMA. (newer slim PS3's let the receiver do the decoding IIRC) I even have 7.2 speaker setup with nice equipment - Wharfedale Sapphire Fronts and Rears, Klipsch surrounds, and two Infinity HPS1000 subs. - can't say I've really heard much of a difference between the regular DD and the upgraded. I'll have to give it another try - but it seems a bit snake oily to me when DD and DTS already sounded so darn good.

Last edited:
sixsense,

I didn't realize the list had gotten that big. Last I had looked - admitittedly when I bought my new SR-805 - there were like a dozen titles or something that supported DD-HD or DTS-MA.

Thanks for the list and correction.

I do have my stuff setup properly. I have the phat PS3 so I have to use the PS3 to do the decoding rather than my receiver to get the DDHD or DTSMA. (newer slim PS3's let the receiver do the decoding IIRC) I even have 7.2 speaker setup with nice equipment - Wharfedale Sapphire Fronts and Rears, Klipsch surrounds, and two Infinity HPS1000 subs. - can't say I've really heard much of a difference between the regular DD and the upgraded. I'll have to give it another try - but it seems a bit snake oily to me when DD and DTS already sounded so darn good.

I have the original fat PS3 as well. I didn't realize the slims can properly bitstream now. I guess I'll be selling my fat PS3. I'm running Monitor Audio RS6, RS1's and a RSLCR center with a L8400P sub difference is night and day . Maybe you have some type of compression or normalization running in the backround? such as Dynamic Volume. Thanks for the heads up btw

Back