So do you wait for 3060 / 3070, given they ~seem~ relatively close, or get a 2060 / 2070 Super today?

I am looking to upgrade now but I want to play at 4k. So I am hoping either the 3080ti would set me up for a bit so I am thinking about waiting. Also want to see 4th gen ryzen.

A 2080Ti is a 4K card (at 60FPS or more) in 99% of games. 100% if you're willing to back off of details in a few areas or use resolution scaling. That's not to say that you shouldn't wait, but if you're simply looking for a 4K card, the 2080Ti is available now. The exception would be if you insist on greater than 90FPS. It'll do that with most, but you're definitely going to have to tinker with settings in newer games.

Reactions: amenx
like this
A 2080Ti is a 4K card (at 60FPS or more) in 99% of games. 100% if you're willing to back off of details in a few areas or use resolution scaling. That's not to say that you shouldn't wait, but if you're simply looking for a 4K card, the 2080Ti is available now. The exception would be if you insist on greater than 90FPS. It'll do that with most, but you're definitely going to have to tinker with settings in newer games.

Yea I thought about the 2080ti. I haven’t been upgrading often these days so I am probably going to keep my next card for 2-3 years. I just didn’t feel like spending $1k on a card that just meets 4k60 now if I am going to keep it for a while. Especially if I can wait a short bit for the new series. I’ve been playing a lot of my backlog lately and if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have even wanted to upgrade.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yea I thought about the 2080ti. I haven’t been upgrading often these days so I am probably going to keep my next card for 2-3 years. I just didn’t feel like spending $1k on a card that just meets 4k60 now if I am going to keep it for a while. Especially if I can wait a short bit for the new series. I’ve been playing a lot of my backlog lately and if it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have even wanted to upgrade.

I own one and if I didn't I'd wait. At least unless there's a major sale or something. There are definitely some newer games (RDR2, Borderlands 3, Greedfall, Jedi Fallen Order, etc.) that want a little more juice that just isn't available yet.

I own one and if I didn't I'd wait. At least unless there's a major sale or something. There are definitely some newer games (RDR2, Borderlands 3, Greedfall, Jedi Fallen Order, etc.) that want a little more juice that just isn't available yet.

Thats where I am at. I have had my 1070 since launch month and its been ok for what I was playing occasionally. But with this break and whats happening I was able to play Fallen Order and saw how behind the 1070 is. I am willing to spend on my next upgrade but I want it to last for a bit.

This video from Linus is a little dated now (almost exactly 2 months old) but it still expresses the "wait now for optimal parts, but accept risk" vs "get what you can, right now" options which were discussed by some of us above:

Your thread raises a big question to a trend I'm sure alot of us have been seeing. the answer to this question may have changed quite a bit in favor of waiting since you started the thread.

1) New info regarding 3000 series has come out, leading us to believe its a much more substantial leap than 1000 to 2000 series was.

2) Prices on new and used 2000 series are going UP, and are many times at or over the MSRP, despite the 3000 series getting closer. This is likely due to the temporary coronavirus situation.

As we get closer to 3000 release, 2000-series cards values will be depressed. Spending a premium on a 2000-series when they are going for over MSRP prices in some cases just doesnt make sense. Values on 2000s will crater further as 3000's hit the market.

On that note, selling a 1080ti for $400, $425, $500 shipped

edit: $525 shipped :D JK pls no DM

1) New info regarding 3000 series has come out, leading us to believe its a much more substantial leap than 1000 to 2000 series was.

New Rumors... which are pretty much meaningless.

As we get closer to 3000 release, 2000-series cards values will be depressed. Spending a premium on a 2000-series when they are going for over MSRP prices in some cases just doesnt make sense. Values on 2000s will crater further as 3000's hit the market.

Used market never cratered on the 1080Ti. No reason to expect it will crater on the 2000 cards either. When we have real details and pricing on 3000 series, then used market will adjust to reflect that position, but still even now 1080Ti seem to be selling for more than they are worth used.

You’re right the prices didn’t crater on that one particularly special 1000 series card - but the rest of them did crater. I’d expect 2080 ti to likewise only fall as far as 3070 pricing, but it costs a friggin grand right now.

Problem is nvidia made the 1080ti faster than any new card that isn’t the 2080 or 2080ti. The same will not be the case with ampere, based on the rumors or information leaking out, whichever you like to call it - it’s what we have to go on. especially the power consumption numbers seem interesting to me.

You’re right the prices didn’t crater on that one particularly special 1000 series card - but the rest of them did crater. I’d expect 2080 ti to likewise only fall as far as 3070 pricing, but it costs a friggin grand right now.

Problem is nvidia made the 1080ti faster than any new card that isn’t the 2080 or 2080ti. The same will not be the case with ampere, based on the rumors or information leaking out, whichever you like to call it - it’s what we have to go on. especially the power consumption numbers seem interesting to me.

Rumors are here. They haven't tanked pricing, because rumors are worthless.

The last big rumor cycle was nonsense, claimed they were building 10nm Samsung GPUs. Why some people believe obviously nonsensical rumors is baffling.

Nothing will happen till we have actual info on pricing and performance.

Waiting for the 3XXX TI/Titan so I can upgrade from my 1080TI.

Hell might give Big Navi a chance but I don’t expect it to compete on the high end. Maybe in 2021 AMD‘s 3070/3080 competition will be out.

Hopefully team Red can drop NAVI 2 onto the playing field and accelerate the release and mess with the pricing. I don't want to but am preparing for a price tag higher than what I paid for 2080ti day one.

Ampere may be more like Volta - i.e. a data center GPU line that precedes a more consumer centric follow up (like Tesla) so I’m not sure how far out we are from a true generational leap.

With the current disruptions to production and economies and an expected delay in hardware releases I hope that if a next gen card is pretty far away that Nvidia releases an interim line that increases the price/ performance equation. They could use respins or die shrinks or even just rebinning of current parts to create new SKUs that tempt the large audience that waited when 2080 / 2080ti was first released due to owning 1080/ti cards at the time, and are not tempted to pay close to or more than full price now for a 2 year old card.

easy decision...wait for the 3000 series...doesn't even have to be the top end 3080...get a 3060 which will be somewhat equivalent to the 2070 in terms of price

use your stimulus check for a new GPU...Congress is mulling another round of stimulus payments of $2000 a month for 3-6 months so that would be even better :D

easy decision...wait for the 3000 series...doesn't even have to be the top end 3080...get a 3060 which will be somewhat equivalent to the 2070 in terms of price

use your stimulus check for a new GPU...Congress is mulling another round of stimulus payments of $2000 a month for 3-6 months so that would be even better :D
Everyone stimulate the computer part economy with their checks, I'll buy AMD/NVDA!

My 1080 bought the farm a few days ago. I'm struggling to decide to drop 500 bucks on a 2070S for what, 10% - 15% more performance? It also probably wouldn't even do great if I upgraded to 3440 ultrawide either.

I've been playing on a 1060 laptop, but don't think I want to deal with listening to that dust buster taking up 1/4 of my desk for the next 6+ months.

Doesn't seem like we got a whole lot of information about the new cards yesterday so ehhhh what to do.

something cheap on craigslist/FB marketplace could hold you over. plus theres always used cards on here.

My 1080 bought the farm a few days ago. I'm struggling to decide to drop 500 bucks on a 2070S for what, 10% - 15% more performance? It also probably wouldn't even do great if I upgraded to 3440 ultrawide either.

I've been playing on a 1060 laptop, but don't think I want to deal with listening to that dust buster taking up 1/4 of my desk for the next 6+ months.

Doesn't seem like we got a whole lot of information about the new cards yesterday so ehhhh what to do.

Catch up on your console backlog?

OP here...

A big, genuine, heartfelt thanks to everyone for your advice, or feedback, or guidance in this thread. Whatever you call it, it was helpful and valuable.

As it turns out, I bought an EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC Ultra Gaming 8GB, which I am already really stoked with - I bought Doom 2016 and I'm blown away by it. Eternal will follow.

The card has been brilliant so far, and haven't even once found myself regretting it - nor fretting about the money spent.

Honestly, your guidance turned out to be really very helpful. Allow me to explain...

I was made aware of considerations that I didn't yet know. For example:

Or you emphasised things I wasn't sufficiently considering. For example:

Or you lot helped me see the issue from other valuable angles! For example:

Or you corrected / checked my beliefs:

Also, just knowing that others felt the same way about these decisions helped me understand I wasn't entirely mad for being a bit tortured about it.
For example:

And hearing how others are troubled by these decisions - one in which you drop a bucket load of coin - was in some ways reassuring. For example:

Me too, man. Obviously.

So again, thanks so much for helping me make this decision, and bringing both a few additional facts to light, or helping me see matters in a ways I hadn't yet.

I don't regret the purchase, and weirdly, I don't even regret reaching out to strangers the world wide web for advice. It worked out well.

Cheers,
oblongpolygon
Glad you got some good help. Yeah, hardware is always a choice, because something is always "close" to coming out. If you are wanting to upgrade now and it's >1-2 months away, might as well go for it. If the release was in a month, sure might as well wait (if you have that luxury). Luckily for me, I'm content right now and can wait. This could change easily if something breaks or a new feature I can't live without (read, i just want) is availale that I can't wait to use. Always a hard choice, but I think you made a good one and sounds as if you're happy with it which is the most important part! Also, thanks for the update and feedback, most of the time people try to help out and never hear back, so it's nice to see.

With the current disruptions to production and economies and an expected delay in hardware releases I hope that if a next gen card is pretty far away that Nvidia releases an interim line that increases the price/ performance equation.
We already have the Super line, so I guess the next one would be Super Duper.

Back