So do you wait for 3060 / 3070, given they ~seem~ relatively close, or get a 2060 / 2070 Super today?

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
I have a 1050 Ti, and an 8700, on an ASUS miniITX mobo.

Do I wait for the 3060 / 3070, given this new series seems so close, or do I get a 2060 / 2070 Super today?

How do you folk approach this stuff?

I ask because it seems like madness (exaggeration) to buy a component like a 2070 Super, maybe just months before the release / availability of the next generation. Months, maybe? I don't know. (Although of course, I guess I only say it's "madness" because I've gotta be a bit careful with money - I know if money was no object for me, this would likely be rather different.) Anyway...

Or will manufacturing delays and stressed economies (caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus) maybe mean we're waiting considerably longer for the 3000 series?

Or is there even no reason to fret about only just missing out on the new generation of product, because as the RTX Super line shows, products are often developed in a tick-tock cycle, half-way through the life of the product? In which case, maybe a 2060 / 2070 Super is just as much an upgrade on the 2060 standard, as a 3060 would be on a 2060 Super, for example?

And forthcoming console releases make this even harder for me, because it makes a PC for gaming seem optional, rather than the only course. But then, how long until they arrive?!

My ideal computing arrangement is maybe something like:
- a Surface Book 3, for sketching, movies (in bed) and its portability...
- and either a decent future laptop with 10th gen CPU and 3000 series GPU... or a new miniITX build with those same specs.

The most taxing game I can imagine myself playing is Doom Eternal... and maybe Cyberpunk, at some stage.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts of others.

You're not going to see 3000 series parts before Q4 IMO.

I have a feeling that the consoles will be released prior to Christmas just to meet deadlines, but that they will be in extremely scarce supply due to the coronavirus related manufacturing issues. Hopefully by Q1'21 you see good supply of both 3000 series cards and next gen consoles.

That being said, I'd probably buy a card like a $300 EVGA 2060 KO or something to tide you over or a cheaper 1660Ti or Super which would still be a nice upgrade for around $200.

Last edited:
FWIW, I use a R7 2700 and a RTX2070 in a Mini ITX setup and enjoy it a lot, play a lot of new and old titles from 1080p to 4K

A 2060 or 2070 super is nowhere near outdated yet, and with a possible slowdown/delay due to the human malware should continue to stay relevant for another year at least.

Also, looking forward to how the new DX12 implementations will work on the RTX 2000 series. Will be interesting.

With that as your current gaming card you could be well serve by grabbing a GTX 2060 Standard. It wil be more than twice-as-fast as your current card, and unlock 1080p medium RTX gaming.

With the $50 price break, you're suddenly looking ant an excellent value. And the power should be manageable in an ITX system.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...E6JFA73CP47&psc=1&refRID=NCW1FFPX1E6JFA73CP47

Nobody said you ha to jump up to ungodly-priced $500 card territory if you're only gaming at 1080p.

Unless you're buying at $500 and up, I wouldn't expect to be able to buy Ampere this year . Pascal launched at $450 for the GTX 1070 and $700 for the GTX 1080. It was 3 more months before the rest fo the lineup launched.,

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
2070 Super is a fantastic (Super! :p) card. I just got a 2080 Ti on CL for super cheap to replace my 2070 Super and after installing it I realized just how powerful the 2070 Super actually is. Though the upgrade 2080 Ti was noticeable I kind of feel like it didn't need to happen. Get a 2070 Super and enjoy it!

With that as your current gaming card you could be well serve by grabbing a GTX 2060 Standard. It wil be more than twice-as-fast as your current card, and unlock 1080p medium RTX gaming.

With the $50 price break, you're suddenly looking ant an excellent value. And the power should be manageable in an ITX system.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...E6JFA73CP47&psc=1&refRID=NCW1FFPX1E6JFA73CP47

Nobody said you ha to jump up to ungodly-priced $500 card territory if you're only gaming at 1080p.

Unless you're buying at $500 and up, I wouldn't expect to be able to buy Ampere this year . Pascal launched at $450 for the GTX 1070 and $700 for the GTX 1080. It was 3 more months before the rest fo the lineup launched.,

Of course the other elephant in the room is that Turing launched at $599, $799, and $1199. I think pricing will be closer to that than Pascal pricing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Of course the other elephant in the room is that Turing launched at $599, $799, and $1199. I think pricing will be closer to that than Pascal pricing.

You're comparing the wrong architectures. Maxwell = Turing (old process node, massive die sizes). Ampere = Pascal (new process node, so the die sizes will be smaller (to improve yields quickly).

Turing was the largest die ever constructed. Even on a refreshed process node, it's expected to double the price of Maxwell.

Launch prices of Ampere will mirror Pascal: astronomical at launch, but then fall drastically as yields improve.

Reactions: Auer
like this
You're comparing the wrong architectures. Maxwell = Turing (old process node, massive die sizes). Ampere = Pascal (new process node, so the die sizes will be smaller (to improve yields quickly).

Turing was the largest die ever constructed. Even on a refreshed process node, it's expected to double the price of Maxwell.

Launch prices of Ampere will mirror Pascal: astronomical at launch, but then fall drastically as yields improve.

If you say so. I'll believe it when I see it, and I am definitely not a believer yet.

I understand what you're saying about the architecture and die sizes but I don't see them dropping prices without competition.

I really wanted to wait for the 3080Ti, but my 1080Ti died last night :(

I bought an EVGA 2080Ti - if the 3080Ti drops in 3 months, I can step up, if it takes longer, then who knows - I'll probably take a $500-600 bath on the card - or maybe I'll just wait for the 4080Ti.

I have no debt and it's tax return / bonus / Trump money season so as the kids say - YOLO.

Why would you buy a 2-year-old video card when the next architecture is just around the corner, which will come out in late 2020?
Consoles are showing some really powerful spec, around 2080 GPU performance. This will force Nvidia to be less lazy with their next-gen cards.

If you play lots of stuff that you could really use it for I'd probably upgrade now. Mainly because we have no idea what the next several months will bring and if you're going to be at home doing more gaming it's going to be worth it.

I have a 1050 Ti, and an 8700, on an ASUS miniITX mobo.

Do I wait for the 3060 / 3070, given this new series seems so close, or do I get a 2060 / 2070 Super today?

How do you folk approach this stuff?

I ask because it seems like madness (exaggeration) to buy a component like a 2070 Super, maybe just months before the release / availability of the next generation. Months, maybe? I don't know. (Although of course, I guess I only say it's "madness" because I've gotta be a bit careful with money - I know if money was no object for me, this would likely be rather different.) Anyway...

Or will manufacturing delays and stressed economies (caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus) maybe mean we're waiting considerably longer for the 3000 series?

Or is there even no reason to fret about only just missing out on the new generation of product, because as the RTX Super line shows, products are often developed in a tick-tock cycle, half-way through the life of the product? In which case, maybe a 2060 / 2070 Super is just as much an upgrade on the 2060 standard, as a 3060 would be on a 2060 Super, for example?

And forthcoming console releases make this even harder for me, because it makes a PC for gaming seem optional, rather than the only course. But then, how long until they arrive?!

My ideal computing arrangement is maybe something like:
- a Surface Book 3, for sketching, movies (in bed) and its portability...
- and either a decent future laptop with 10th gen CPU and 3000 series GPU... or a new miniITX build with those same specs.

The most taxing game I can imagine myself playing is Doom Eternal... and maybe Cyberpunk, at some stage.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts of others.

I don't expect 3070/3080 till later in the year, and I don't expect 3060 till 2021, and I expect Turing type launch prices.

I would look for a deal on a 2060 or 2060 super.

I've been quite torn about this-- I don't game enough right now to justify my 2070 Super so I was thinking about downgrading to a RX 580 but then I worried about delays on new cards. GamersNexus was saying stuff along the lines of from what they know things in general are delayed by 2-3 months right now (could get worse I imagine). I bought a RX 580 here but then I've been having trouble selling the 2070 Super. Worked out a local trade for a 2060 Super FE + $235 cash. Since I bought my 2070 Super for $380 new that works out to $145. Now I'm trying to decide on an RX 580 if I feel confident that new cards will be released or keeping the 2060 Super since its seeming more and more likely that the next gen will be delayed.

OP here...

A big, genuine, heartfelt thanks to everyone for your advice, or feedback, or guidance in this thread. Whatever you call it, it was helpful and valuable.

As it turns out, I bought an EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER SC Ultra Gaming 8GB, which I am already really stoked with - I bought Doom 2016 and I'm blown away by it. Eternal will follow.

The card has been brilliant so far, and haven't even once found myself regretting it - nor fretting about the money spent.

Honestly, your guidance turned out to be really very helpful. Allow me to explain...

I was made aware of considerations that I didn't yet know. For example:
You're not going to see 3000 series parts before Q4 IMO.
I don't expect 3070/3080 till later in the year, and I don't expect 3060 till 2021, and I expect Turing type launch prices.

A 2060 or 2070 super is nowhere near outdated yet, and with a possible slowdown/delay due to the human malware should continue to stay relevant for another year at least.

Or you emphasised things I wasn't sufficiently considering. For example:
If you play lots of stuff that you could really use it for I'd probably upgrade now. Mainly because we have no idea what the next several months will bring and if you're going to be at home doing more gaming it's going to be worth it.
With that as your current gaming card you could be well serve by grabbing a GTX 2060 Standard.

Or you lot helped me see the issue from other valuable angles! For example:
Would you rather suffer thru months of quarantine with a 1050 or rage thru it with a 2070?

Or you corrected / checked my beliefs:
all depends on what games you want to play, future upgrade ability, etc.

Also, just knowing that others felt the same way about these decisions helped me understand I wasn't entirely mad for being a bit tortured about it. For example:
My 1080Ti plays everything I throw at it at 1440P. I do have the upgrade itch though. I'll wait however.
I bought an EVGA 2080Ti - if the 3080Ti drops in 3 months, I can step up, if it takes longer, then who knows - I'll probably take a $500-600 bath on the card - or maybe I'll just wait for the 4080Ti.

And hearing how others are troubled by these decisions - one in which you drop a bucket load of coin - was in some ways reassuring. For example:
I've been quite torn about this.

Me too, man. Obviously.

So again, thanks so much for helping me make this decision, and bringing both a few additional facts to light, or helping me see matters in a ways I hadn't yet.

I don't regret the purchase, and weirdly, I don't even regret reaching out to strangers the world wide web for advice. It worked out well.

Cheers,
oblongpolygon

the 20xx series is aging tech, just wait for the 3000 or you will regret it forever. nvidia is finally going to put out.

Turing cards are very forward looking. Ray Tracing HW, full suite of DX12 Ultimate features (Mesh Shading, VRS, Sampler Feedback) and DLSS 2.0 to boost image quality and FPS.

Navi cards OTOH, are really dated technology with none of this.

2070 Super is a fantastic (Super! :p) card. I just got a 2080 Ti on CL for super cheap to replace my 2070 Super and after installing it I realized just how powerful the 2070 Super actually is. Though the upgrade 2080 Ti was noticeable I kind of feel like it didn't need to happen. Get a 2070 Super and enjoy it!
Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for it? The damn thing is sooo expensive.

I got a brand new 2080 Ti MSI Gaming X Trio for $800. It was still wrapped in plastic. I figured with this whole lockdown thing it was worth it to be blown away by graphics :)
Woah that’s awesome! I got a 2080ti Strix non-OC on sale for $1000 but that was before tax. I think you scored way better than I did

Maybe look for a used 1070ti/1080 to hold you over until 3000 series cards arrive? I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a new 2000 series right now

Maybe look for a used 1070ti/1080 to hold you over until 3000 series cards arrive? I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a new 2000 series right now
The guy bought a 2060 in March.......
Look for the giant post half way down. :)

Maybe look for a used 1070ti/1080 to hold you over until 3000 series cards arrive? I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a new 2000 series right now.
Hey bud - honestly, I didn't really feel comfortable buying a 2000 series card, either, knowing the 3000 weren't / aren't that far away.

But yeah, as magoo has said...

The guy bought a 2060 in March...
...and it's true.

I take your point though, Banya. I really do - buying something which is sooo clooose to being superseded is... hard.

But I actually haven't regretted buying the 2060... yet.

Maybe I will once the shiny new 3000 series cards are released, but like most humans the world over, I'm stuck indoors now and a 1050 Ti just didn't have enough oomph to provide me with new gaming experiences, given there was suddenly going to be much more of them. Until recently, I'd been content playing the occasional game, mostly indie titles... but with so much time indoors, I was looking to branch out, and I'd really played everything I could.

I will say, though, that I've recently realised / decided that a superseded 2060 card isn't a redundant 2060 card - a superseded card isn't made redundant, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Because, even if I bought a 3000 series card, I'd likely want to hold onto the 2060 in a SFF build, likely next to the TV, for co-op couch gaming, where it maybe needs less oomph. And a new 3000 would be found in a bigger build in my workstation - where I game too.

I'll also add that some of the comments above - which I responded to - highlighted the risk, to me, that disrupted manufacturing supply chains, and choked logistics, could mean that many of us wait a rather long time to get the 3000 series, even after it's been released. That's not why I bought the 2060 of course, but I found it nudged me towards a purchase now, rather than later. Where I live, this is maybe more of a risk than for your average American consumer, just for example.

I think you made the right call; buy what you can afford and want now and enjoy it. Unless the next-gen cards are announced and we know exactly when they'll be here, I wouldn't have any issues doing that and you can always sell your current card towards the next gen ones later if you decide you want more at that time. Also, we still have no idea how much of an improvement the next gen cards will be or how much they'll cost either.

If you have another use for the 2060 later, that's perfect then. It also gives you some time to wait for the 3000 series cards to drop in price a bit or for models with better cooling

4 things would need to happen for me to buy a new card before next gen drops

1) My 1080TI would have to shit the bed
2) My Vega56 in my second system would have to shit the bed
3) My 1060 6GB in my tertiary system would have to shit the bed
4) My 1060 6GB collecting dust would have to shit the bed

That said, all these cards are quite a bit more capable than a 1050Ti. Personally, in your position if I was itching for more performance, I'd try to find something 2nd hand on the sellers forum here.

My thought process.... I have a 1070 in my HTPC that i considered replacing with a 2070 recently. However, I'm still getting 60 FPS at Ultra in most games, and with the 3XXX / Big Navi approaching I'd rather wait. Not for the performance, but for the ability to get HDMI 2.1 ports on the card. Those will make a big difference especially when I upgrade my TV. I can wait 6 months.

With the state of the world currently I would be very surprised to see a 3000 series Nvidia card any time soon. Much less the mid range parts like the XX60 and XX70 parts as they typically don't launch till months after the flagship offerings.

Put me in the camp that doesn't think we're going to see anything major this year. At best maybe very late in Q4.
It'll be interesting to see what they bring to the table. Beyond performance increases, I'm also interested in HDMI 2.1 functionality over the long haul. Being able to play games on a TV with variable/high refresh rates is something I've long wanted. It could potentially even be enough to get me to sell my current TV and buy a new one ASAP.

The answer of course is BOTH! Duh! By a 2070 Super now, just because there are a few things you can amuse yourself with now, (and they perform pretty well). Then in Q4/Q1 you can pick up a new card, and either sell the old one, or put it in another system.

Personally, I always make the decision based on how much value I'm going to get out of an upgrade vs how badly I need to upgrade. For example I jumped in on 1st gen Ryzen and a 1080ti because I was coming from an i7 950 and GTX 680. I was long overdue for an upgrade, the tech was interesting and the prices were relatively decent at the time (I somehow managed to dodge the RAM and mining bubbles). That said, I haven't upgraded since because I don't feel like the value is there for me.

Bottom line, it depends on what you are coming from and what your goals are.

I am looking to upgrade now but I want to play at 4k. So I am hoping either the 3080ti would set me up for a bit so I am thinking about waiting. Also want to see 4th gen ryzen.

New release card will be have mrsp for a limited number before they jack up like extra 100-300 for founder edition card. Most time aftermarket come in 2-3 months after the founder card. Usual the card like KingPin come way later in the production because the evga need to bin all the chip.

Back