So do MMOs just steal your life away

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Everytime I boot up Rift the day after I just played for 12+ hours I'm like NOT AGAIN!
I seen MMOS destroy lives by making them closet lifestyle people. Along with groups like
WOW Widows of Warcraft and Everquest called Evercrack even though the game is packaged to be a nice grind for 50+ levels it leaves little or nothing on the personal satisfaction level. The problem with Most MMOS there is no end to the game which makes the game a serious waste of time. Someone on the net said which MMOS are bad and he said all of them because of the time wasting mechanics.

Get married and I promise you won't spend more than a couple hours a week in an MMO, if at all.

I quit MMO's many years ago, but getting married put a huge halt on gaming in general for me.

Yep, I dont play MMOs any more, a waste of life.
It would be one hell of a special MMO that gets me to have a go again.

I have a wife, 2 kids, a full time job, and own two businesses. I wish I could play a MMO. Enjoy it while you can.

Playing an MMO as a couple or family is great fun too.

Finding one which everybody likes is the tuff part, but after that it's quite enjoyable.

if you like playing the damn MMO, play it. It's all relative man. If YOU value your time in such a way that MMO/time=fun then as long as you're a good husband and father, pace yourself so you can do both. You'll know when it's time. If you feel guilty, you might find indirect resentment because you do, genuinely, like to play.

Disclaimer....if you can't do all the above without problems then prioritize and manage your time. Family first, game second. Somewhere in between is health and work.

I think we should rehabilitate prisoners by getting them hooked on a WoW variant so they will have something to be hooked on when they get out. Might keep like 30% or so from coming back.

Maybe just have some self-control over your gaming?

I play MMO from time-to time. A couple hours a week. It's not a waste of time, it's fun and entertainment and I do it when there isn't much else to be doing.

One person might watch a movie for 2 hours, I'll play an MMO instead.

I think we should rehabilitate prisoners by getting them hooked on a WoW variant so they will have something to be hooked on when they get out. Might keep like 30% or so from coming back.

So instead of taxpayers footing the bill to keep them in prison, we instead foot the bill for their welfare/disability checks to play MMOs all day.

At least they have a slight chance of doing something productive in prison (like making license plates).

Can confirm; currently have Time Sink level 5 in my Eve Online skill queue.

It will never be done.

it all comes down to self control, and managing gaming and real life time. Although getting married soon will severely cut down my gaming time(unless i can get the wife, to start pc gaming) and im prepared for that day.

Maybe just have some self-control over your gaming?

I play MMO from time-to time. A couple hours a week. It's not a waste of time, it's fun and entertainment and I do it when there isn't much else to be doing.

One person might watch a movie for 2 hours, I'll play an MMO instead.

This. I do the same without it ruining my life.

Get married and I promise you won't spend more than a couple hours a week in an MMO, if at all.

I quit MMO's many years ago, but getting married put a huge halt on gaming in general for me.

So, I'm a bit confused when people say things like this. I'm not technically married but I've been with my GF for almost 5 years now, and we live together, pay bills together, etc. Doesn't seem like a huge difference from being married. And yet I still have plenty of time to game.

Are you referring to having kids, maybe? Then I could see it making sense. But I don't get this magical "if you put a ring on it suddenly you have no gaming time" logic.

Well, getting married typically involves a long list of unspoken expectations, one of them being "grow up, be a man, etc..."

So, I'm a bit confused when people say things like this. I'm not technically married but I've been with my GF for almost 5 years now, and we live together, pay bills together, etc. Doesn't seem like a huge difference from being married. And yet I still have plenty of time to game.

Are you referring to having kids, maybe? Then I could see it making sense. But I don't get this magical "if you put a ring on it suddenly you have no gaming time" logic.

I would assume this depends on the person you marry.

I think it's all relative to the relationship.

When I first met my wife, I stopped PC gaming completely for over 2 years, and that comes from gaming from my formative years until then (almost 20 years starting with Flight Simulator 1.0 and that era of "IBM" games as they were known then). This had everything to do with her not being interested in anything to do with gaming.

Then I booted the computer up one day and fired up the original Guild Wars. She was so interested that I bought her a copy and we ended up playing GW and all of it's expansions all the way through together... :D

Now I'm back into gaming, only about an hour or two a day which is fine by me, and every now and then we fire up and play D3 or Torchlight 2 together. I couldn't get her into GW2, too many changes from the first GW for her to handle.

Of course we still have the times playing Mario/Zelda/Wii Sports games with our kids as well.

It's all about what you put into it, some people have a stronger tendency to get "addicted" to things than others. If you're actually enjoying yourself, who cares? As long as you're not shirking responsibilities or giving up things you shouldn't I don't see what the big deal is. When I was in High School I played a good amount of WoW. I don't regret it, I had a TON of fun, but even though I played it a lot I still would go with friends for movies/Halo (Halo 1 was big back then).

These days I spend 2-3 hours a day for maybe 2-3 days out of the week on playing games. I just don't find myself as interested as I used to be. Do what you enjoy, just don't let it take over other things.

Well, getting married typically involves a long list of unspoken expectations, one of them being "grow up, be a man, etc..."

I would think in a responsible relationship, those issues/expectations would be "spoken" and addressed long before getting married.

I would assume this depends on the person you marry.

I think it's all relative to the relationship.

Very true. I just hate to see blanket statements like that.

It helps that my GF is on the computer a lot as well and plays Skyrim and Sims 3. I think she will really like The Witcher 3, as well.

I think they do, I gave up the RPG kind entirely. Most MMO's don't allow you to play in short stints and achieve anything of merit. The initial leveling process might be drop in drop out, but late game usually takes massive blocks of time to participate in. With the cost to reward ratio most of them are probably as detrimental to someone's life as gambling addiction.

If it was more interesting than endless button mashing I could see enjoying it purely for the fun factor, but for the most part they're all the same "lock on and repetitively drone hotkeys" type stuff. The only dynamic part is the gear, and finding gear usually becomes an arduous campaign of time vs patience.

The only one's that don't suffer from it in my experience aren't really MMO's, they just have persistent unlocks and large player bases, like Heroes and Generals or World of Tanks. Those are the only kind I play anymore.

MMO's don't steal your life away, that's like blaming a gun for killing someone, or blaming food for making you a fatty.

You waste your life away playing MMO's.

Last edited:
MMOs are not a waste of life. If you believe this, I don't know why you even play games. it's another means of entertainment just like anything else. The only difference is that the game is ongoing whether you are present or not. So you feel there is an obligation to play more.

As you get older you have more responsibilities so you game time diminishes. MMOs are still viable, but you will have a hard time keeping up with the people with no other obligations.

Everyone needs a hobby and anyone thinking a game is a waste of life shouldn't really be on this forum to begin with in my opinion.

Everyone needs a hobby and anyone thinking a game is a waste of life shouldn't really be on this forum to begin with in my opinion.

Well the focus was on MMOs and not just "games" in general. And like you said, you feel more of an obligation to play due to the ever-changing world, potential monthly subscription fees, etc. So I definitely thing MMOs are in a different category than just making a blanket statement about "games" in general.

Well the focus was on MMOs and not just "games" in general. And like you said, you feel more of an obligation to play due to the ever-changing world, potential monthly subscription fees, etc. So I definitely thing MMOs are in a different category than just making a blanket statement about "games" in general.

Anyone that has played games, has at one time or another been criticized for it. Games, for some reason are a less accepted form of entertainment compared to movies or tv. So when a gamer says that another game (MMOs) is a waste of life, it dumbfounds me because this is that last person that should think a game (in any capacity) is a waste of time/life.

Entertainment for the most part is a waste as you aren't advancing yourself in any meaningful way other then just passing time by staying ... entertained? :D

I like MMO's but hate what they've become. They make it way too easy for you to waste tons of time on just to get marginal upgrades or no more story advancements (Dailies... /shudder).

I loved EQ because it was very manageable and sociable, I enjoyed Vanilla WoW because it was somewhat similar and to some extent TBC expansion. I really liked SWTOR because I loved KOTOR, I love the star wars universe and it has kickass individual story lines, although the Jedi's can be somewhat boring.

Once SWTOR became a daily grindfest or spending days/hours to get an upgraded 152 item to a 162 and lack of any new story I started a new character.

Anyone that has played games, has at one time or another been criticized for it. Games, for some reason are a less accepted form of entertainment compared to movies or tv. So when a gamer says that another game (MMOs) is a waste of life, it dumbfounds me because this is that last person that should think a game (in any capacity) is a waste of time/life.

I think you're taking the frame of reference out of what I said.

The OP asked if MMO's steal your life away. If you're in the frame of mind that MMO's are a waste of time, I like to view it as the person playing them being responsible for wasting that time and their own life.

If you don't feel that MMO's steal your life away, and don't think you're wasting your time playing the game, then so be it - enjoy it while it still entertains you!

So there's nothing wrong with 1,200 hours of Farmville and that new Kardashion game? :D

Just got to level 60 in Rift took me all day I had this same character since 2011 when the game came out. I went into a level 54 dungeon everything is scaled to level 62+ I'm like wtf I try it out and die in 3-4 hits with a lot of HP. I was fine in the lower level dungeons but once you reach level 60 be prepared to pay Trion like $600.00 for the best gear you can get just so you will be accepted in a group.

The game is going to level cap 65 soon with some underwater Nightmare Rifts type of scheme thing I had my lifetime full of this nonsence clicking game.

People are more worried today about the auction house then the actual game due to to patch that Trion used to screw over the freeloaders who don't pay per month for the game.

Rift is more of a action RPG then a nice down to earth RPG.

BTW my eyes are killing me with my calibrated BenQ if you ever noticed the personality of some of the people on the mess boards and in game you know it's just one hard staring contest.
The 1-29 chat is like Sex chat anything goes.

Everytime I boot up Rift the day after I just played for 12+ hours I'm like NOT AGAIN!
I seen MMOS destroy lives by making them closet lifestyle people. Along with groups like
WOW Widows of Warcraft and Everquest called Evercrack even though the game is packaged to be a nice grind for 50+ levels it leaves little or nothing on the personal satisfaction level. The problem with Most MMOS there is no end to the game which makes the game a serious waste of time. Someone on the net said which MMOS are bad and he said all of them because of the time wasting mechanics.

Well the older MMO's were all subscription based, monthly service charges. It would make good business sense to have your money maker last as long as possible for the player base.

More Time = More Money and that is what motivates people.

I remember looking at the $10 dollars or whatever the monthly fee was as very cheap entertainment, If I played it a lot I got my monies worth each month. Going to the movies can be $$ and its about an hour and a half of entertainment.

They know what they are doing but the game is good looking I'll give you that the environments are perfect it's like looking into a welding torch all day. The newbs on steam that try the game have no idea what they are in for. Terlara is a nice place to visit I wouldn't want to live there though and become demented and miserable like some of the player are. Most of the crowed are Ex: World of Warcraft players.

MMOs have addicting properties integrated into them. Kill X mob for X relic item to make your character stronger. I played a good deal of WoW when it was out. Enjoyed meeting new people from around the world. Playing different classes etc etc. But once you graduate from the University, things start to change very rapidly. You won't have time to play like you did when you just had to study and do some part time job. I guess when the "real world" kicks in you can't really enjoy MMOs. But I do enjoy games like Battlefield for a few hour and some single player RPGs like Dragon Age series.

I can't get addicted to mumorpegers. I've tried GW2, EVE, LOTRO, SWTOR, FFXAR and a few others but I always end up playing for around 100 hours where I reach end game content and items and then I start finding flaws with the game that eventually drives me away from it. FFXAR is the best so far and the only one I will go back to occationally, but I have never been hooked on these games. League of legends is a different beast entirely.

Entertainment for the most part is a waste as you aren't advancing yourself in any meaningful way other then just passing time by staying ... entertained? :D

Si, if you have a career its most likely best to focus on that instead of children games.. or put the games down and become a more productive member of society.

Make deals, stack bread and all the things associated with a flourishing person.

Last edited:
5+ years of my life in EQ and another 7 in WoW.

Yes they can. Also MMO's are like catnip for women. So warning there..

The highlight of RPGs is supposed to be a good story. MMORPGs don't give a fuck about that. All they have are hollow narratives.

I quit FFXIV: ARR when I realized that the story was never going to end; every extension was just going to be a sad excuse to keep people playing.

Back