So... Did AMD increase the boost freq on the 50th A. 5700 XT?

Centauri

2[H]4U
I picked up an open boxed 5700 XT Anniversary which I'm getting into right now. And the first thing I noticed is that GPU-Z and Afterburner are both reporting the Boost Freq as 2079MHz?

Has AMD done something to these mid-revision or did I buy a card that's been modified?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

And here she is running MSI Kombustor for several minutes with an aggressive fan curve in Afterburner. Seems stable enough. The first run the max recorded frequency in Afterburner was 2114~ MHz...

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Last edited:
Yep, silicon winner!
Mine with a good fan curve will stay around 1950mhz. +25 power limit it easily stays above 2000 with average around 2040 or higher.

Boost clock for the AE is set at 2100mhz. So if your chip is really good, keeping power down, temperature etc. you can have a higher boost then others.

Really appears you got a golden sample.

Yeah heard they are +50MHz over vanilla XT. I love that AMD has the 3 level binning going again like the old X800XT Phantom Edition etc...

Well shoot, good to hear. Haha. I didn't know these all self-evaluated for boost clocks. And when I set Wattman to Auto Overclock it gives me 2150MHz. :-o Really curious to see what happens once I do GN's modification of the cooling and drop on liquid metal.

But I do have a few stability issues regardless of Wattman and have blue screened several times. But I'm not sure if it's the card or the drivers at this point. Gotta love new-architectures... Haha.

How much did you pay for it?

Got it on eBay from a guy with zero feedback. Offered $369.99-shipped and he accepted. And of course no tax.

That is amazing.

damn you lucky, right place, right time, and I suppose decided to yourself "I can afford this"

Shit, you have to worry if cannot afford such a great deal, easy re-sell make some quick bucks if want

I so want the Anni edition for myself .. would complete my "for 3-4 year" upgrade as in spec.

who know, when afford, maybe slightly better versions at lesser price, though, that ~$400 CAD great price for
the product

fa suh!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Fairly sure it's just relaying the Wattman settings. I put my WM settings to default and took a screenshot:

Untitled.jpg

Fun to look at, but not what I would run all the time with the stock cooler.

Something is strange.

These are the clocks advertised for my 5700 XT card (non-anniversary).

XT_NewEgg.PNG

These are the clocks in GPU-Z.

XT_GPUZ.PNG

I thought GPU-z didn't work with Navi right yet. You have to use AMD's tool kit

Yeah, the reported boost frequency thing is weird.

Anyways, I modded my 5700. Did liquid metal, replaced all of the VRM and other thermal pads in the process and did the GamersNexus washer mod on the heatsink clamp.

Auto Undervolt in WattMan, everything else stock including the fan curve - Time Spy brought me a maximum temperature of 77 degrees, my Graphics score was up 100pts over out-of-the-box and the card was relatively silent the entire time. I'm sure with a more aggressive fan curve it would never have crossed 70 degrees.

So... Went back to stock settings in WattMan. All I did was increase the power limit to the max of 50% and enable a pretty aggressive fan curve (50% at 70c and 60% at 80c). Then I ran Time Spy.

I must say, I am surprised at this - without any actual overclocking or undervolting. Just better cooling and power limit. Up a good 500~ pts over the retail configuration at 9375pts. GPU never crossed 72 degrees, junction temperature never crossed 95, boost held over 2GHz during the entire run and only pulling 220 watts according to WattMan.

Time Spy.PNG

Last edited:
Indeed.

Another observation I made last night: I maintain the same Time Spy performance even with the stock fan curve, temps just rise into the mid to upper 80s during the run.

So... Went back to stock settings in WattMan. All I did was increase the power limit to the max of 50% and enable a pretty aggressive fan curve (50% at 70c and 60% at 80c). Then I ran Time Spy.

I must say, I am surprised at this - without any actual overclocking or undervolting. Just better cooling and power limit. Up a good 500~ pts over the retail configuration at 9375pts. GPU never crossed 72 degrees, junction temperature never crossed 95, boost held over 2GHz during the entire run and only pulling 220 watts according to WattMan.

View attachment 183110

Very nice results..I come in at 9865 on my best run so far which puts me in 8th place Worldwide. 7 of the top 8 spots are held by the same guy, so is it wrong to say I am number 2 so far? :p

My 50th AV maintained 2125Mhz with stock settings during my first TS run once I got my loop up. I was quite surprised but this card had no issues doing over that with a PL boost and the stock blower cranked up. I never bothered to repaste it or use the washers since I bought it with the intention of full GPU block.

Man, now I want 9865...

Did you do the power table mod? Or just put it under water?

What are your temps like during a run?

Man, now I want 9865...

Did you do the power table mod? Or just put it under water?

What are your temps like during a run?

That was all stock...Just under 780mm of rad space with a 3700x. The card boosts so well that 50% PL basically taps everything I think I will get, but I will do the PP mod and see.

Card under a 5 hr CPUID PowerMax test (while the CPU was encoding x265 HB files on all 16 threads) reached 47C with a Tj of 87c for a brief moment. It usually hovered around 68C.

TS and gaming will not heat the card above 38C with ambient temp of 72C with 60-65% humidity (yeah it sucks)...

I am currently 8th just based on that single stock run but the other spots are held by one guy and fairly sure his top 4-5 are most likely non gaming stable suicide runs. We will see what I can do.

I'm almost positive I need to re-check my work on this card over the weekend. At bone-stock settings - fan profile, power limit, voltage - it hits 84c in the Time Spy Stress Test. Which is what several review sites saw from non-AE launch model 5700 XT.

Just FYI, you can drag and drop pictures into the editor to have those hosted and displayed in your post.

This is one of my favorite features of the BBS software upgrade you did a while back. How is the family? Good I hope!

I'm almost positive I need to re-check my work on this card over the weekend. At bone-stock settings - fan profile, power limit, voltage - it hits 84c in the Time Spy Stress Test. Which is what several review sites saw from non-AE launch model 5700 XT.

Yeah, I was way too ginger tightening the screws on the plastic washers initially. Hit them again today and I've dropped temps another 5-6 degrees. Didn't get me any more performance but using an aggressive fan profile with Time Spy(1440p), my highest temp was 65c - and that was only a blip.

Junction temperature dropped to approx 80!!!

Screenie.png

Very nice results on the stock cooler! It's kinda crazy how we never really had accurate hotspot measurements that were public facing so that we could monitor it from either AMD or Nvidia...

The uneducated crowd is quick to say "Herr Durr my Nvidia GTX only runs at XX degrees and AmD is 25C hotter so they suxx!"...

I am fairly certain that that sums up the cesspool of WTFtech's comment section :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, Navi is not loud at all on the default profile, and the heat is debatable (since we don't have the junction numbers for other cards).

Though you see people here even parroting that Navi is "hot and loud" without any first-hand experience.

So I decided to revisit this.

I'd never actually done a manual overclock on this. Just Auto Undervolt or Auto OC combined with increased Power Limit and an aggro fan profile. But I decided to set it to 2150MHz yesterday using the voltage scale that I achieved from the Auto Undervolt and just following the same plot to 2150MHz.

9644 Time Spy. 76c MAX temp. 96c max junction temperature. I'll reiterate that this is on air with the stock cooling solution and has passed every stress test I've thrown at it, including the Time Spy Extreme loop.

I love this thing...

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

Back