So clean install windows 7 then upgrade to 10... 12 hours later still installing

I installed windows 7 Ult clean on my SSD not other drives, no data to back up, updated to Win 7 SP1 so I could kick off the windows 10 install.

it's been 12 fucking hours and I am still at 92% installing.. it took me 5 hours to download.. wtf I ran speedtest 12ms ping 60Mbps down.. wtf..

I have no data to back up as this is a clean fresh win 7 install... seriously!

And you didn't do a clean windows 10 install because...

Some houses are just slow....all the pc's and internet slow to a crawl if windows 10 is detected. j/k...in all seriousness you never needed to install windows 7 lol as stoly says! Just use the win 7 serial for 10. The download is usually very fast and is probably an issue slowing things down along the way between you and download server .

Wait so I could have put the win 10 install on a flash drive? Anyway the wins 7 ult install took all of 30 mins then update to sp1 10 mins.. So it's slow as fuck to download and install as an upgrade.. as I type this I am now at 94% installing..

Wait so I could have put the win 10 install on a flash drive? Anyway the wins 7 ult install took all of 30 mins then update to sp1 10 mins.. So it's slow as fuck to download and install as an upgrade.. as I type this I am now at 94% installing..
YES....we thought everyone already knew lol just cancel and start over...its very quick and better anyway

As noted, you can clean install Windows 10 using the Windows 7 Product Key nowadays, Microsoft "fixed" that aspect and made it easier back around September of last year because of so many problems with upgrades (like I haven't been telling people this for 30 freakin' years...) - installing Windows 7/8/8.1 first then doing an upgrade is no longer necessary. Anyway:

- install Windows 10 cleanly with nothing else on the drive (remove the partitions/create new ones/format/etc if necessary)
- when it asks for the Product Key skip that part both times (it might only ask once) and uncheck any box that says anything related to activating online
- when the OS is fully installed and online (assuming it has drivers for your network devices) you can then choose to activate and at that point put in the Windows 7 Product Key
- voila, you're pretty much done

After that you can clean install anytime you want on the same hardware and never need any Product Key again at all - the activation hash will be stored on Microsoft's servers so, install without a key, get online, give it a few minutes, boom, activated.

All that wasted time I could have been playing GTA V or Overwatch.. >.>
No I didn't know.. I have put off even thinking about win 10 until last night.. I didn't even want to think about win 10.. so silly me I didn't do any research or even check.. gahh I feel like a noob now.

I honestly thought hey it can't be any worse than updating to SP1 and other windows live updates and my connection speed can download data quickly enough so ok 2-3 hours tops.. uuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Get the Windows 10 ISO you need from here:

Tech Bench

No need to use the Media Creation Tool (the previously posted link) since that is just another waste of time, get the direct ISO download from the Tech Bench link I just shared.

Probably, yep, so, maybe play around with 10 for now but plan on a proper clean install with the Anniversary Update which more than likely will show up after July 29th when the official "free upgrade" offer is yanked.

Well finally got windows 10 installed and updated. I wish I had known about using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installer Grumbles.. wasted 12 hours for nothing.. fucking BS

Well finally got windows 10 installed and updated. I wish I had known about using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installer Grumbles.. wasted 12 hours for nothing.. fucking BS
Just keep in mind the yearly updated/ improved and forced ISO comes out roughly 1 Aug. Some will suggest doing another clean install again but in any case your doing that or upgrading the os around that time frame.(you might want to keep your os simple for the month)

Right now all I am using it for is playing GTA V and Overwatch I do everything else on my Win 7 system. It's just so I an finally get a hands on learning experience with win 10

Back