So buy Ampere or wait for AMD response?

Plenty of reasons to stay silent, could be waiting until an ideal time to leave nVidia with little room to react before the holiday season. target seems to be black friday.

Not that in pointing out logic matters, the hype train has throughoutly left the station.

Plenty of reasons to stay silent, could be waiting until an ideal time to leave nVidia with little room to react before the holiday season. target seems to be black friday.

Not that in pointing out logic matters, the hype train has throughoutly left the station.
Looks like this is exactly what Nvidia did to AMD :whistle:. The better play, leadership play is to strike first, hit hard, build momentum while the other guy has not even gotten to their feet. There is no indication that AMD has been producing large numbers of RNDA2 GPUs for the PC, Consoles yes. CPU is probably the better play if you have restricted resources and with Zen 3, PS5 and Xbox Series X/S something had to give.

Looks like this is exactly what Nvidia did to AMD :whistle:. The better play, leadership play is to strike first, hit hard, build momentum while the other guy has not even gotten to their feet. There is no indication that AMD has been producing large numbers of RNDA2 GPUs for the PC, Consoles yes. CPU is probably the better play if you have restricted resources and with Zen 3, PS5 and Xbox Series X/S something had to give.

Maybe, but reminds me of hatching and chickens.

Explain please?
RTX 3070 is supposedly available in October. AMD's "announcement" will come October 8th and October 28th.
Would be a good time to introduce a card just ahead/during/just after of its competition no?

RTX 3070 is supposedly available in October. AMD's "announcement" will come October 8th and October 28th.
Would be a good time to introduce a card just ahead/during/just after of its competition no?
Not sure that is what I would read into it, but who knows.

Well it's two dates apparently.

"A new era of leadership performance across computing and graphics is coming. Join us on October 8 and October 28 to learn more about the big things on the horizon for PC gaming."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ipirjt/a_new_era_of_leadership_performance_across/

that's much better...and I'm glad Zen 3 is launching first...the picture literally shows Zen 3 on October 8th and RDNA 2 on October 28th

AMD is going to own the month of October!

There's no compelling reason to link GPU upgrades to building a new system. You upgrade your GPU every 2 or 3 years, your CPU/etc should be good for 6-10 with at most a mid-life ram/ssd capacity upgrade.

New GPUs almost always give a really large performance gain; while unless you're trying to stream on the same system you're gaming a half dozen year old quad core with HT (eg an i7) will be within a few percent of the latest and greatest in FPS when gaming. It's only older i5 (quad core no-HT) and below CPUs that start bottlenecking badly on some newer titles.

If you've got something like an i5-4690k you're do for an upgrade and either a Zen 3 or i7/i9-10xxx part would be a major upgrade. If you've got an i7-4770k and aren't streaming your CPU's still good enough for gaming. Unless you're doing something else that needs a lot of CPU you might as well wait a few more years and get a system PCIe5 and DDR5 for a more future proof build. Today you'll get a lot more spending all of your money on a better GPU; or a GPU and a bigger SSD (the 250/500 GB models which were the affordable option a few years back are getting cramped as games get bigger, unless you only play 1 at a time more install space would make things easier).

Bullcrap. The new GPUs are specifically including stuff like RTX I/O which is directly related to having PCI Express 4.0, which is directly related to your build.

Not sure that is what I would read into it, but who knows.

It's a weak correlation, but if they were going to be fast enough to compete for sales with people who're currently thinking 3080, a paper launch as close to the 3080's release as possible would encourage those people to wait. Late next month implies that would be 3080 buyers aren't who they're trying to convince to leave NVidia behind this generation.

It's a weak correlation, but if they were going to be fast enough to compete for sales with people who're currently thinking 3080, a paper launch as close to the 3080's release as possible would encourage those people to wait. Late next month implies that would be 3080 buyers aren't who they're trying to convince to leave NVidia behind this generation.

It feels shady as fuck to me as if AMD is intentionally giving Nvidia its window to sell shit. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there was collusion between the two companies going on; their CEOs are literally related.

The Easter egg was/is in Fortnite, what price range GPU's are the most popular over with that crowd?
Probably not the 3080 and such.

It feels shady as fuck to me as if AMD is intentionally giving Nvidia its window to sell shit. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there was collusion between the two companies going on; their CEOs are literally related.

If Big Navi's only equivalent to an RTX 3075, announcing now when they'd be being compared against the 3080 by default would result in all the comparisons being "big navi sucks". They need to wait for the 3070 to be out so they can get "faster than a 3070, cheaper than a 3080".

Reactions: Auer
like this
Ampere or wait, Ampere or wait.... fG2mpd1.gif

Bullcrap. The new GPUs are specifically including stuff like RTX I/O which is directly related to having PCI Express 4.0, which is directly related to your build.

but you don't need a new CPU to take advantage of it...Zen 2 has PCIe 4 support...

so Nvidia has made a bunch of G-Sync monitors FreeSync compatible but vice-versa is not happening (G-Sync monitors being FreeSync capable)?
Newer G-Sync monitors, ones that have G-Sync modules, have started supporing Freesync. At least, I know I've seen it mentioned, you'd want to do some research on that and whether and what limitations would apply when run with a Freesync GPU.

Newer G-Sync monitors, ones that have G-Sync modules, have started supporing Freesync. At least, I know I've seen it mentioned, you'd want to do some research on that and whether and what limitations would apply when run with a Freesync GPU.

I have the ViewSonic XG2703-GS IPS 1440p 144Hz (G-Sync)...it's 2.5 years old so I don't think it'll support FreeSync...

I have the ViewSonic XG2703-GS IPS 1440p 144Hz (G-Sync)...it's 2.5 years old so I don't think it'll support FreeSync...
Yeah, none of mine do either. Though that's really not a big factor if you're looking at a new graphics card right now, as Nvidia more or less has everything covered (or will).

If this PS 5 is 400 bucks I think I'm out on both, i'll wait for the generation after this one and get like a cheap rx 5500 to play rocket league.

Yeah, none of mine do either. Though that's really not a big factor if you're looking at a new graphics card right now, as Nvidia more or less has everything covered (or will).

I was planning on going with Nvidia but it would have been nice to have the option for AMD (FreeSync)

Speculation has been October and November for AMD launch. I have a feeling for many Nvidias supposed hard launch is going to feel like a paper launch, unless it's only the 3090 they are struggling with on yields.

I will wait till November when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out and maybe there is a Black Friday sale on a good 4k monitor to see what video card upgrade to get.

Speculation has been October and November for AMD launch. I have a feeling for many Nvidias supposed hard launch is going to feel like a paper launch, unless it's only the 3090 they are struggling with on yields.
It IS a paper launch, they were announced back in september 1st. If you refer about actual availability well, supply-demmand.

but you don't need a new CPU to take advantage of it...Zen 2 has PCIe 4 support...

And is significantly slower than Intel in games. Zen 3 is the only hope for PCI Express 4.0 and really good gaming performance, and we're less than a month off from it. Makes absolutely no sense to not wait for it at this point.

And is significantly slower than Intel in games. Zen 3 is the only hope for PCI Express 4.0 and really good gaming performance, and we're less than a month off from it. Makes absolutely no sense to not wait for it at this point.

'significantly' is way over-exaggerating it...yes Intel leads in paper benchmarks and has the overall gaming performance crown but 98% of people will not notice any difference in real world usage...Zen 3 will be better and you're right that it makes no sense not to wait but let's not go crazy with the hyperbole

If this PS 5 is 400 bucks I think I'm out on both, i'll wait for the generation after this one and get like a cheap rx 5500 to play rocket league.

Look into the 5700xt on the used market after everything is released. It's incredibly powerful and fun to game on and I have both a 2080ti and 5700xt. I game on either with utmost enjoyment.

Not waiting for AMD but will wait 2 months in case Nvidia releases a card faster than the 3090. That may sound silly but I still remember the 2080ti and Titan RTX coming out sooner than many expected after the 2080.

Back