So buy Ampere or wait for AMD response?

If Big Navi is DoA then the 3070 (or maybe even a future 3060 super) is a no brainer for me.

So now hes writing reviews for The FPS Review? No plans to bring back Hard? I guess if several Hard staffers went there, it makes sense for him to go too instead of trying to pull them back

Just ask him. Hes on the forums. He responded to me several times. Kyles a good dude just ask him in the threafdif the question isnt disrespectful. Or better yet send a pm

damn I hope his son is ok. The twitter link wouldnt work (im at work) but people were mentioning it in the comments
Yes, I left Intel over a year ago. Son had Leukemia and all the time spent in Santa Clara was not working out and was not going to work out in the future either, so it was time to bail before I got in any deeper there.

My son is doing great right now. He just celebrated his 20th birthday and started technical school last week. His younger sister gave him a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. Everything is looking up. :)

And now back on topic.

If Big Navi is DoA then the 3070 (or maybe even a future 3060 super) is a no brainer for me.

It won't be DoA. They are still fairly certain to squeak a bit better perf/$ out, because they have to.

It's just that Ampere is making their job harder, and margins slimmer.

Yes, I left Intel over a year ago. Son had Leukemia and all the time spent in Santa Clara was not working out and was not going to work out in the future either.

My son is doing great right now. He just celebrated his 20th birthday and started technical school last week. His younger sister gave him a bone marrow/stem cell transplant. Everything is looking up. :)

And now back on topic.
Congratulations on your son recovery! Glad things work out for you and also fuck cancer.

After all the driver issues my buddy had with his 5700XT and drivers causing things to crash, I'll continue to stick with Team Green and pay the premium.

I wouldn't bother waiting for a 3070 competitor that cost roughly the same but runs hotter and more than not slower. Quote me on release!

I sold my MSI GTX1080TI Duke three weeks ago on ebay. I sold it at the low 400s...then again, I bought it at 400 so free use.
I plan to wait for Big Navi...for two reasons.
I want to see what AMD has to offer.
It'll give the RTX30 series a chance to be out there in use for any potential anomalies to be discovered.
There were a few with the higher-end RTX20 series in the first few months after launch remember.
The way I see it, if Navi slots in between 3080 and 3090, Nvidia will be forced into a Ti card with possibly more VRAM. I think 12-16 would be ideal for the 3080.

Same situation here. I should have sold my 1080 TI before the announcement, but wasn't sure if they'd actually deliver. Sold for $400 and still managed to clear ~$350 after all fees.

That being said, in regards to this thread, I fear even if AMD comes through, demand is still going to be too high for supply.

Worse yet, if AMD fails to to deliver, I bet NVIDIA's prices go back through the roof at stores. So that's a gamble as well.

Right now, I'm leaning toward 3070 lottery at launch or used 2080 TI for cheap upgrade for 1440p. Regardless, I'm taking a gaming break while all this shakes out. Haven't gone AMD since the 7950.

Worst case scenario, when the dust clears, I bet I could even get back into another 1080 TI for cheap if I wanted to and still pocket some money.

It's weird. I had an OCP account 6 years ago but when I went to log in it said there wasn't one registered to my email address. So here I am again because my usual tech forum is migrating and it's taking 120 hours.

I'm waiting for AMd. I'll be selling my 1080ti and my 1080 and buying AMD until AMD really screws up again or Nvidia gets their act together. We've been playing this little game with Nvidia since the 6xx series and I'm tired of playing it. They raise the price across the entire stack over and over and we have let them get away with it because they have a segment monopoly. The 2xxx series was the first time I skipped a generation of video cards AMD or Nvidia since 2006. It was the first time since 2012 that I did not buy the halo (non titan) product.

It's weird. I had an OCP account 6 years ago but when I went to log in it said there wasn't one registered to my email address. So here I am again because my usual tech forum is migrating and it's taking 120 hours.
Your account is still there, you just are using the wrong address very likely, like the other 99% of people that have this issue.

Why is amd not responding at all? besides that "hmmmm" emoji.
They know Nvidia is very very scared, and because they are the nicest company in the whole wide world they have decided to not scare Nvidia anymore.

Reactions: noko
like this
They know Nvidia is very very scared, and because they are the nicest company in the whole wide world they have decided to not scare Nvidia anymore.

From the over hyping and even "supposed" low supply so "buy now!!" marketing leaks, I am hoping RDNA2 is really scaring Nvidia.
But i guess its good time to buy gpu.. finally. but wait until the ti and super BS.

From the over hyping and even "supposed" low supply so "buy now!!" marketing leaks, I am hoping RDNA2 is really scaring Nvidia.
But i guess its good time to buy gpu.. finally. but wait until the ti and super BS.

Yeah, the 3070 feels like planned obsolensence with it's vram config... the Ti or super will be right around the corner if there's any kind of challenge from AMD... I'm solidly in the waiting camp.

I was gung ho to buy day one, but am starting to realize that I have nothing I really need to play right now. So I'm moving towards the 'Waiting' camp. I'm hearing murmurings of a liquid cooled AMD GPU which gives me that nostalgic tingle of the R9 Fury X.

Yes, I left Intel over a year ago. Son had Leukemia and all the time spent in Santa Clara was not working out and was not going to work out in the future either, so it was time to bail before I got in any deeper there.

And now back on topic.

Your kids are freaking rockstars!

I was gung ho to buy day one, but am starting to realize that I have nothing I really need to play right now. So I'm moving towards the 'Waiting' camp. I'm hearing murmurings of a liquid cooled AMD GPU which gives me that nostalgic tingle of the R9 Fury X.

Same here, Civ 5 & 6 I can play on a potato.
Those are my idling games btw big blockbuster huge hype games.

Well, what are you playing right now?

Control, Wolcen, Ori and the will of the wisps, Doom eternal, Redout enhanced, Assassin's creed Origins.

Currently mainly Control and Wolcen.

All at 4K/60hz (Control at 1440p upscaled to 4k) with Freesync/gsync

Control with all the options up only seems to load the gpu up to about 70%, very playable. I have had to turn ACO's dynamic resolution scaling on with things up high.

I have CP2077 preordered

A 3080 would be great for the nvenc, cuda cores (but I'm not using them yet as a coder, and am actually more interested in AVX) and RTXvoice... but RTX voice works ok on the 1080ti so long as I don't game with it, and I don't typically for video conferencing.

I play single player exclusively and am not sensitive to mid speed framerates, so long as they're over about 50 I seem to be ok.

The benefits are probably not worth the $700-800AUD it would cost to upgrade after selling what I have.

Last edited:
Control, Wolcen, Ori and the will of the wisps, Doom eternal, Redout enhanced, Assassin's creed Origins.

Currently mainly Control and Wolcen.

All at 4K/60hz (Control at 1440p upscaled to 4k) with Freesync/gsync

Control with all the options up only seems to load the gpu up to about 70%, very playable

I have CP2077 preordered

A 3080 would be great for the nvenc, cuda cores (but I'm not using them yet as a coder, and am actually more interested in AVX) and RTXvoice... but RTX voice works ok on the 1080ti so long as I don't game with it, and I don't typically for video conferencing.

I play single player exclusively and am not sensitive to mid speed framerates, so long as they're over about 50 I seem to be ok.

What’s glaring to me is whether you want to sink $ into a 4k high refresh panel or not.
If you’re mostly single player, I’d be looking for Control and Wolcen clips on 3080 on YouTube.
If the gains are life changing then there’s no reason for change.

I’m kinda wanting a 3090 bc DevOps is branching where I’m running with the ML/data science teams more often and there are production size algorithms I want to run locally just to build out more guardrails for them.
That’s purely for work, I have no use for a 3090 or a couple of them for gaming.
I could use the nvram size, and it would be nice to flip their workloads to containers locally to see what footprint they’d need gpu unassisted vs pointlessly burning $ on A100 runs.

I’m kinda wanting a 3090 bc DevOps is branching where I’m running with the ML/data science teams more often and there are production size algorithms I want to run locally just to build out more guardrails for them.
That’s purely for work, I have no use for a 3090 or a couple of them for gaming.
I could use the nvram size, and it would be nice to flip their workloads to containers locally to see what footprint they’d need gpu unassisted vs pointlessly burning $ on A100 runs.

On a same boat but probably going to grab 3080 for ML/NLP and do play MWH on 4k and my vega is hard on keeping up.

What’s glaring to me is whether you want to sink $ into a 4k high refresh panel or not.
If you’re mostly single player, I’d be looking for Control and Wolcen clips on 3080 on YouTube.
If the gains are life changing then there’s no reason for change.
Wolcen runs fine on my pc at 4k, and upgrading to a higher refresh panel just isn’t necessary for what I do

The other game I am playing a bit of is destroy all humans, but that runs fine also

Nvenc, RtxVoice and cuda (Matlab/c++) would be my main reasons.

But the 1080ti manages those quite well for what I do at this point, so skipping a generation won’t hurt me there either.

AVX512 would make a bigger difference for me vs the cuda stuff anyhow as I am actively persuing AVX as well. Mainly because more people will have it and I haven’t yet hit on a heavy DL load (I am usually programming for microcontrollers and SBCs as well as PCs).. A 3D printer is fast approaching a necessity for my work and I would probably get more value out of that, Though, more cores would be nice too....

On a same boat but probably going to grab 3080 for ML/NLP and do play MWH on 4k and my vega is hard on keeping up.

It's not difficult to exceed 11gb on a 1080ti running some of the more real life mundane tasks like xgboost runs on historical sales data.

That's a biggie everyone wants to keep tabs on.

Then you start getting into wanting to integrate your runs to Salesforce or Oracle bc that in of itself is still a $400k/year workflow.

It's worth absolutely nothing. AIB's don't even have a BOM yet, how would they even know pricing? AMD had zero plans to price there cards until they saw what the competition came out with. So, no they didn't price drop.. they always planned on setting prices after the ampere launch. This is just some wild stupidness. Could the final prices be right? Sure, but they aren't dropping anything, they obviously knew nvidia was going to come out first and weren't going to have a final price in mind until after that happened. But, I guess everyone needs more clicks these days.
Anyways, I'll be waiting on AMD, who knows what stock will be like for either company though, probably pretty crappy I assume.

It's worth absolutely nothing. AIB's don't even have a BOM yet, how would they even know pricing? AMD had zero plans to price there cards until they saw what the competition came out with. So, no they didn't price drop.. they always planned on setting prices after the ampere launch. This is just some wild stupidness. Could the final prices be right? Sure, but they aren't dropping anything, they obviously knew nvidia was going to come out first and weren't going to have a final price in mind until after that happened. But, I guess everyone needs more clicks these days.
Anyways, I'll be waiting on AMD, who knows what stock will be like for either company though, probably pretty crappy I assume.

If the cards are going to be launching in a month (and even if October is a soft launch, they'll have to hard launch something before the end of November for Black Friday) the OEM's have had a BOM for months now (if not longer) to start their manufacturing planning and ramps.

If the cards are going to be launching in a month (and even if October is a soft launch, they'll have to hard launch something before the end of November for Black Friday) the OEM's have had a BOM for months now (if not longer) to start their manufacturing planning and ramps.
I don't have insider information, just going by the rumors. Rumors are saying AIB's don't have a BOM and aren't expected to have cards available before the end of the year. Whether this is true or not, I can't be certain as we don't have anyone to verify. Either way, the point was, AMD never set a price before seeing what NVIDIA released/priced... so I don't know how they could cut their "prices" when they never intended to set pricing until after the release. Maybe their hopes? aka, they were hoping they could price higher but wont be able to?

I don't have insider information, just going by the rumors. Rumors are saying AIB's don't have a BOM and aren't expected to have cards available before the end of the year. Whether this is true or not, I can't be certain as we don't have anyone to verify. Either way, the point was, AMD never set a price before seeing what NVIDIA released/priced... so I don't know how they could cut their "prices" when they never intended to set pricing until after the release. Maybe their hopes? aka, they were hoping they could price higher but wont be able to?

That article is likely nonsense but of course AMD had a price target (or range) in mind when they designed the thing.

Why is amd not responding at all? besides that "hmmmm" emoji.

because Raja isn't there to hype train a product 2 years before it launches.. honestly though the last 4-5 years this has been one of their biggest changes is getting away from the bogus hype that we saw during vega and bulldozer launches. typically though if you see crap like that you can almost guarantee a products going to fall well below expectations(just look at what intel's been doing the last few years, almost reminiscent of what AMD was doing during phenom/PII, bulldozer).. Outside of the usual presser event stuff for zen 1 and zen 2 they really didn't go out of their way to hype up the product. even the 5k series they didn't really do anything extra to hype them. probably not the best marketing but given the 10 years previous to that it was a well needed change. now that the brand is out there again they probably need to shift their marketing style around though.

That article is likely nonsense but of course AMD had a price target (or range) in mind when they designed the thing.

of course but no one will ever know what it was just like no one in nvidia knew what the pricing plan was for Ampere, that stuffs a guarded secret and is usually decided just before the announcement to press.

There is one other option besides buy one or the other or not any -> Buy both if they are both good, that is if you can afford it and have viable extra machine.

Hard for me to believe that AMD would be surprised over if Nvidia beat the 2080Ti by 15% and AMD was targeting that, lol, really? Maybe the pricing is a little bit disappointing for AMD since Nvidia usually sells the larger volume and thus have some leeway on pricing due to that greater volume. It is obvious that Nvidia has a number of options with more cuda cores and ram on GA102 and GA 104. The closer AMD can get to the 3090 performance the less viable options Nvidia will have. That is if they can.

I'm actually being smart and waiting. I don't see anything on the game horizon (for my interests) that needs more horsepower than my 1080ti has. BL3, FO4, CIV VI, Galciv 3 (old, I know, but still good), nothing that stresses my 1080ti, so I'm being rational and holding off until something comes along that needs that extra horsepower, or my 1080ti dies. It's an odd feeling waiting until I actually need the upgrade, it feels Un-natural.

because Raja isn't there to hype train a product 2 years before it launches..

Ahahahahaha, AMD has a perfectly functioning train with or without Raja. Dude could have said “I think we will be more than competitive with Nvidia’s 1080.” Next day on Hardforum/Reddit/Videocardz...

“Raja confirms Vega 56 faster than Ampere and only cost $100!!!! Leather Jacket man very bad bad!!”

i'll be jumping on a 3080. I would ideally want to go on a 3080ti (if it eventually comes out later), however, i'm ready to replace my 980ti's. They have served me well. As for AMD, i'm hopeful, but just that.

As far as 3rd party designs go, although they are def cooler & more robust, I prefer nvidia's design language more.

Back