So buy Ampere or wait for AMD response?

If Nvidia doing some aggressive pricing, they must be really scared of AMD.....

Or setting the stage for battle before hand?
They kinda set the maxium bar for AMD's pricing, chalking up the field before the game is on.
The real reason will been seen in financials in a few months....how is NVIDIA's profit margin affected.
If they keep their high margins, it seems less like panic and more taking the first swing.
If their margins drop, it would be a sign that NVIDIA had to counter AMD via price.

They kinda set the maxium bar for AMD's pricing, chalking up the field before the game is on.
The real reason will been seen in financials in a few months....how is NVIDIA's profit margin affected.
If they keep their high margins, it seems less like panic and more taking the first swing.
If their margins drop, it would be a sign that NVIDIA had to counter AMD via price.

This is a generous view but maybe Nvidia doesn't care about AMD at all and their real target is all the Pascal owners who refused to upgrade?

Reactions: noko
like this
I have trouble imagining a situation where it’d be beneficial to wait for AMD.

Sure, no prob. Just help me explain to the Ms why I want to spend $699 dlls on a gaming card :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My wife gave me hell over my ultrawide. I told her I spend less than 1% of my income on myself so she could go fly a kite and she never brought it up again.

I would certainly wait. If anything, remember space invaders came free with Turing. If we wait a few weeks post availability well know for sure of we get a free copy of space invaders with the new GPUs.

Also regardless of the negative nancys when it comes to AMD, Big Navi looks to be a very compelling product. Possibly segmenting its self somewhere between the 3080 and 3090 or maybe AMD is gping to blow the socks off of the Ampere line. Theres just no way to tell. Remember how Ryzen 1st gen really made a big splash and zen 2 now has changed the market completely. Navi version 1 made a splash, and Navi 2 might be bad to the ass. Only way to know is just wait a little longer and lets find out.

Last edited:
what do you mean? nvidia HAS been running things for a while.
I meant I assumed that AMD would never be able to catch up with nVidia in graphics, ever. Once they shot down the graphics chiplets idea on the roadmap, I assumed it was all over.

I would think after they digest the NVidia Info at AMD HQ, they would want to drop some hints now to give people more reason to wait.

The window for this is before the order books open.

I sold my GTX1080Ti Duke three weeks ago on eBay.
I had it for one year and it sold in the low 400s...then again, I bought it for 400, so free use.
I plan to wait for Big Navi for two reasons...
First off....I want to see what AMD has to offer.
Second....It'll give the RTX3000 series a chance to be out there in the 'wild' for any potential anomalies to be discovered.
IMSMC there were a few issues with some of the higher end RTX2000 series in the first few months after launch.
The way I see it...if Navi slots in between 3080 and 3090, Nvidia will be forced into a Ti card with possibly more VRAM.
I think 12-16 would be ideal for the 3080 series.

Last edited:
If you're looking at a 3070 and can wait, see what AMD comes out with. I seriously doubt they will have a competitor for 3080 or 3090.
Well, chances are if it's got 72 or even 80 CU's, it'll at least be competitive with raster performance to the 3080 (probably not 3090 levels). RT performance, who knows, DLSS (type) competitor, haven't heard anything yet. Lots of unknowns to make any real claims though. I'm not in a huge rush to spend a ton of cash, so I'll wait for stocks to stabilize at the very least. Worst case, nvidia prices aren't going up, best case, AMD releases something comparable and cheaper and nvidia does a price cut :).

I would think after they digest the NVidia Info at AMD HQ, they would want to drop some hints now to give people more reason to wait.

The window for this is before the order books open.
I was thinking the same thing, I half expected to wake up this morning to some fresh AMD leaks :).

Regardless of what AMD comes out with; I assure you AMD was not anticipating Nvidia to provide this large a boost in price to performance. 3070 for $500? With 2080 super levels of performance? That's going to kick their plans in the balls. I myself am waiting till the end of the year to see zen3/big navi reviews. After that we'll see. I don't think AMD was ready for this.

Is gsync quality a consideration? I don’t care about rtx but I do have a LG oled that supports gsync so I was thinking I had to go with Nvidia. But if gsync is not worth it then I might as well wait for amd. I got a good deal on rx 5700 and I had an ok experience so I don’t mind giving amd another shot. But if gsync is worth it then I know I’ll go Nvidia.

Is gsync quality a consideration? I don’t care about rtx but I do have a LG oled that supports gsync so I was thinking I had to go with Nvidia. But if gsync is not worth it then I might as well wait for amd. I got a good deal on rx 5700 and I had an ok experience so I don’t mind giving amd another shot. But if gsync is worth it then I know I’ll go Nvidia.

With a setup that high end and spending that amount on a new card I would definitely want the Gsync compatibility. I recently switched to a Freesync capable monitor and it just looks so much smoother and nicer overall. I won’t ever be going back to a display without one of the two syncing techs.

To me GSync is definitely worth it. But currently I've got a Freesync 2 monitor that is GSync "compatible", so I could go either way really.

More than likely I will get a 3080. I am pretty much only interested in gaming and RTX looks like something I want to have.

Regardless of what AMD comes out with; I assure you AMD was not anticipating Nvidia to provide this large a boost in price to performance. 3070 for $500? With 2080 super levels of performance? That's going to kick their plans in the balls. I myself am waiting till the end of the year to see zen3/big navi reviews. After that we'll see. I don't think AMD was ready for this.
You really think AMD didn't know what to expect from NVIDIA performance wise? And do you really think NVIDIA has no clue what AMD is coming out with? That's funny. Now, whether or not AMD has an answer is TBD, but I am sure they had a good idea where the performance was going to land way before we found out. Luckily I'm in no hurry to upgrade and can wait to see where AMD lands performance/price wise and then decide if I think it's worth an upgrade to nvidia/amd or just keep rocking what I have.

Some of the earlier Nvidia drivers listed my freesynch monitor as Gsynch compatable but the latest driver fixed? it.

I will try to get the 3080 on launch day. There is such a craze for that thing already that I'm sure it will be sold out quickly and might won't be restocked for a long time. When the Big Navi comes out, I bet you can sell the 3080 for at least the same you bought it for since the demand will be very high.

Yeah this generation feels to me like they're swinging for the fences and trying to keep AMD from coming back at all. The pricing isn't super aggressive, but considering the performance it may be too aggressive for AMD. I don't know what kind of yields they're anticipating from 7nm this time around, but in order for them to make a profit it's going to have to improve I'd imagine. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, hopefully it's not and they can compete, but at the moment I'm kind of doubtful.

You really think AMD didn't know what to expect from NVIDIA performance wise? And do you really think NVIDIA has no clue what AMD is coming out with? That's funny. Now, whether or not AMD has an answer is TBD, but I am sure they had a good idea where the performance was going to land way before we found out. Luckily I'm in no hurry to upgrade and can wait to see where AMD lands performance/price wise and then decide if I think it's worth an upgrade to nvidia/amd or just keep rocking what I have.
My post was specifically addressing price to performance. AMD knew nvidia was unlikely to drop the ball. It's the MSRPs that are garnering attention.

I'll wait, probably more so because I'm not an aggressive shopper than anything else and will buy stuff when easily and readily available.

Nvidia took the high ground, and even if AMD can storm up that hill they'll most likely manage to shoot themselves in the head with a driver.

I'm done gambling with software.

NVIDIA is almost certainly to hold its lead at the top end of the product stack and price points. At lower price points, AMD may have a price / performance advantage. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

My post was specifically addressing price to performance. AMD knew nvidia was unlikely to drop the ball. It's the MSRPs that are garnering attention.
So, they priced the replacement cards at the same price as the old cards they are replacing... and AMD most likely knew the performance already. What part of this would be catching AMD off guard? Seemed along the lines of what people were expecting. The only one that I was a bit off on was the 3080, I assumed it would have been about $100 more, but I guess with only having 10GB they needed to leave more room for a 3080 20gb/ti/super. I would be surprised if AMD didn't already know the price points and relative performance a month ago. That said, I still don't think AMD is going to come out with anything against the 3090, but I am pretty sure they'll have something for the rest of the line (plus or minus a few %, then priced accordingly). That said, you do get a great amount of performance for your $ this release and you probably won't be upset if you didn't wait. But if you are have issues snagging one or don't need a GPU right now, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait and see what is available. Never know, NVIDIA might drop their prices to snuff anything AMD puts out. Or, availability is horrible and the prices are rediculous and you end up waiting anyways :).

Is gsync quality a consideration? I don’t care about rtx but I do have a LG oled that supports gsync so I was thinking I had to go with Nvidia.
This isn't G-Sync, but HDMI VRR. While Nvidia was the first to support HDMI VRR, that's not going to be a problem with upcoming AMD GPUs. You should be able to run whatever suits you best.

You’re the man of the house! You don’t have to explain shit!
Ok so you are single :D :D :D
But you are right I never explained why I bought a GTX 1070 and then a 1070Ti... Well actually I kind of never told her, and she never found out, but still. ;);)

Many people are expecting AMD to pull a Ryzen on nvidia with Navi2 and to at least be competitive at the highend. But while Ryzen is great, Intel dropped the ball big time, I mean after all these years, they still can't solve 10nm issues. Intel performance pretty much remained stagnant for years since the Bulldozer era, thankfully Ryzen upped the ante and now intel has to play catchup.

Nvidia dropped the ball hard once with the 5800 but quickly came back, they had a couple of hickups with the 480 and 280 but nothing major. Ampere IS a monster and looking at the 3070, it seems more efficient than the 2080Ti Turing, as its faster (or at least as fast), less power hungry, with less memory and even lower memory bandwidth.
AMD needs for nvidia to pull an Intel to finally claim the performance crown. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

But you are right I never explained why I bought a GTX 1070 and then a 1070Ti... Well actually I kind of never told her, and she never found out, but still. ;);)
Go for it dude, she's not gonna divorce you. I'd play it like this. "Hey, I'm getting the new 3090, it's $1500.00, giving you a heads up so when you see it you don't freak out". Don't ask for permission ever. Females should never be authoritative when it comes to your happiness.

I think the oleds support freesync also don't they? I ues gsync on my c9 oled and you can tell at 1440p at 120fps gsync is amazing and butter smooth runing around in Poe was the frist time I could read the labels on items 100% clear like I wasn't moving

Go for it dude, she's not gonna divorce you. I'd play it like this. "Hey, I'm getting the new 3090, it's $1500.00, giving you a heads up so when you see it you don't freak out". Don't ask for permission ever. Females should never be authoritative when it comes to your happiness.
This is true but honestly get a point credit card and as long as you pay it off it's "free" money...it adds up my 3090 will be paid 100% by money form points or roll $100 into a savings account each month

It would be great if AMD offers something that Nvidia doesn't but it's unlikely. I expect a very similar situation to Navi 1. Similar raster performance, a few dollars cheaper and a significant feature deficit. I also don't expect Nvidia to adjust pricing so soon. They've already priced in what they know of Navi 2.

Dlss is nice. But I don’t trust developers with anything. So a feature that depends on special input for each game is something I don’t think will ever take off. Especially if it’s not across the entire gaming ecosystem. First time go around wasn’t all jelly with it either. So we shall wait and see.

This is true but honestly get a point credit card and as long as you pay it off it's "free" money...it adds up my 3090 will be paid 100% by money form points or roll $100 into a savings account each month

how much do you spend a month to have $1500 in points? Lol.

So, they priced the replacement cards at the same price as the old cards they are replacing... and AMD most likely knew the performance already. What part of this would be catching AMD off guard? Seemed along the lines of what people were expecting. The only one that I was a bit off on was the 3080, I assumed it would have been about $100 more, but I guess with only having 10GB they needed to leave more room for a 3080 20gb/ti/super. I would be surprised if AMD didn't already know the price points and relative performance a month ago. That said, I still don't think AMD is going to come out with anything against the 3090, but I am pretty sure they'll have something for the rest of the line (plus or minus a few %, then priced accordingly). That said, you do get a great amount of performance for your $ this release and you probably won't be upset if you didn't wait. But if you are have issues snagging one or don't need a GPU right now, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait and see what is available. Never know, NVIDIA might drop their prices to snuff anything AMD puts out. Or, availability is horrible and the prices are rediculous and you end up waiting anyways :).
This time Nvidia used the 102 die in the 3080 vice the 104 and giving nearly if not full 104 die in the 3070. The 3060 looks like it will have the cut down version of the 104 die, talking about pushing performance down the ladder! 3060 with better than 2080 Super performance with even better RT incoming, hopefully with at least 8gb of memory.

I may pick up a 3080 and later a RNDA2 card depending upon how good they are. Since it is expected that the 3080 will be scarce, I won't sweat it if I am not able to get one.

What they don’t know can’t hurt them. 😂

Many people are expecting AMD to pull a Ryzen on nvidia with Navi2 and to at least be competitive at the highend. But while Ryzen is great, Intel dropped the ball big time, I mean after all these years, they still can't solve 10nm issues. Intel performance pretty much remained stagnant for years since the Bulldozer era, thankfully Ryzen upped the ante and now intel has to play catchup.

Nvidia dropped the ball hard once with the 5800 but quickly came back, they had a couple of hickups with the 480 and 280 but nothing major. Ampere IS a monster and looking at the 3070, it seems more efficient than the 2080Ti Turing, as its faster (or at least as fast), less power hungry, with less memory and even lower memory bandwidth.
AMD needs for nvidia to pull an Intel to finally claim the performance crown. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I’m hoping AMD can leverage that they are on 7nm and Nvidia isn’t to make some massive improvements. I don’t think they are anywhere near attacking the 3090 for the performance crown but it they can come at the 3080 and undercut Nvidia how amazing would that be? They have a great partnership with TMSC and yields are improving. Maybe they start with a loss leader and go full attack.

I’m hoping AMD can leverage that they are on 7nm and Nvidia isn’t to make some massive improvements. I don’t think they are anywhere near attacking the 3090 for the performance crown but it they can come at the 3080 and undercut Nvidia how amazing would that be? They have a great partnership with TMSC and yields are improving. Maybe they start with a loss leader and go full attack.
I can assure you AMD will not be selling Big Navi at a loss as they have profit margins to maintain in order to appease the shareholders and ensure the company have funding for future R&D. At best they will undercut Nvidia while maintaining profit margins.

What they don’t know can’t hurt them. 😂

Nvidia 350w card, will cool over 400w, dumping heat into your case 3 slots, extra height

nvidia-geforce-rtx3090-01.jpg

AMD 345w card, will cool over 400w of heat, 2 slot, dumps heat out of case, not on your CPU, Ram and VRMs:

21275-00_RX_VEGA_64_Watercool_800x500_02.png

Owning a Vega 64 LC, I would say I much prefer the AMD cooler design for not covering up PCIe slots, dumping heat into case etc. Just need the performance from such a solution.

A better than 3080 performance card, more ram and where it counts, raw rasterization, would be on my wish list from AMD. If AMD somehow can get 5% to 10% (halfway to the 3090) I don't see why they would not be able to sell a version like that for $899.

how much do you spend a month to have $1500 in points? Lol.
Business credit cards account I switched our employee supply cards form debit to a business cc account and ues it to buy as much material as we can...to a answer the question avg monthly in the summer time is about 15kish

Nvidia 350w card, will cool over 400w, dumping heat into your case 3 slots, extra height

AMD 345w card, will cool over 400w of heat, 2 slot, dumps heat out of case, not on your CPU, Ram and VRMs:

Owning a Vega 64 LC, I would say I much prefer the AMD cooler design for not covering up PCIe slots, dumping heat into case etc. Just need the performance from such a solution.

A better than 3080 performance card, more ram and where it counts, raw rasterization, would be on my wish list from AMD. If AMD somehow can get 5% to 10% (halfway to the 3090) I don't see why they would not be able to sell a version like that for $899.
I have a Vega 64 BE (blower edition) for my son and it dumps heat out of the case as well. I agree though, I am hoping performance is there and that it at least matches the 3080. NVidia left a pretty big window between the 3080 and 3090. Either way, as I said, I'm not in a rush to spend $1000 right now, so I can wait until benchmarks and the dust settles to see where everything falls before deciding.

Reactions: noko
like this

The 3090 has only 20% higher raw specs than the 3080. If AMD can come for the 3080 they can challenge the 3090 too.

The 3090 has only 20% higher raw specs than the 3080. If AMD can come for the 3080 they can challenge the 3090 too.

Just depends on how big of a chip they want. Everyone assumes 80 CU is their limit but we don't know anything for sure right now.

Back