So buy Ampere or wait for AMD response?

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an eye on the 3070, but I'm curious to know what AMD comes up with. If only so they can get on a price war.

If you're looking at a 3070 and can wait, see what AMD comes out with. I seriously doubt they will have a competitor for 3080 or 3090.
Big Navi rumors vary wildly, specially performance spectations. They go from slightly slower or barely faster than the 2080Ti to an actual nvidia killer, so wether they can come up with something that can rival a 3080 is anyones guess.

But hopefully they can go head to head with a 3070. Well I've waited this long, whats a few more weeks.

if Big Navi launches in early October (as rumored) then it's not a long wait...so my advice would be to wait and see the performance numbers...
Yup, my birthday is in october, I need to see what I'm getting as my present :D :D

Yup, my birthday is in october, I need to see what I'm getting as my present :D :D

Ampere availability is on Sept 24th (3080)...so it makes no sense not to wait for Big Navi...a 2-3 week wait time is nothing...only issue might be availability...if you don't jump on the 3080 right away will there be enough supply?

Even if initial supply is scooped up.. If one is buying a founders card just keep hitting the Nvidia shop and get one at that price when they come back in stock. If the supply is not meeting demand then the AIB cards may start to creep up in price as the retailers gouge what they can.

Personally I feel it is worth waiting to see how Big Navi and down the the 3070 level stacks up with reviews and AIB flavors. Buy around November hopefully stock will be there.

Always a bit of a gamble playing the waiting game.

I am going to wait, no hurry. Not as if I can't play games greater than 60fps maxed out.

It won’t be [much] faster, but it won’t be much slower and it’ll probably be the same price ball park. These are all good things.

Make your decision based on that.

nvidia pricing isn’t based on them trying to get a couple of months sales on something they can’t make enough of, it’s based on their view of what will be competitive for the next 2 years.

AMD if anything will get more production efficiency gains than nvidia for the next while anyway, between better fab processes and the fact they’ll be making a f’ing ton more Navi chips than Nvidia will Ampere. Just at stupidly low margins. Yay consoles I guess.

Last edited:
Ampere availability is on Sept 24th (3080)...so it makes no sense not to wait for Big Navi...a 2-3 week wait time is nothing...only issue might be availability...if you don't jump on the 3080 right away will there be enough supply?
I hear the 3080 will have solid supply. I hear the 3090 is going to be near nonexistent in supply to begin with.

I dunno, I was feeling pretty confident that I'd be able to hold out until AMD reveals Big Navi - however, the price on the RTX 3080 is very tempting. It already feels like its priced to counter Big Navi.

I'm currently at work, so haven't read/watch the full conference, but that RTX IO sounds really cool (PS5 style SSD loading). Pretty sure by the time I'm done getting caught up on the conference, I'll be buying day one.

Well, if you have a GSync only monitor like me, I guess the decision is already made. I'm not upgrading from a 1080Ti any time soon though since I don't have much time to play. When I bought the monitor, I assumed that nVidia would be running things for quite a while, as painful as that was to me. I thought about going Freesync, but didn't.

The rumor mill tells me that NVIDIA is planning a 20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 in response to RDNA 2. These won't replace the SKUs announced today, just supplement them for a little bit more money. Even though GDDR6X is new, I am sure their BOM price is around $5/GB, give or take.

Interesting to see 8gb - 16gb transition like we saw 4gb - 8gb not that long ago.

Unless your concern is loading production ML models, I gotta see what games eat more than 11gb or cram when everything is cranked.

I have an eye on the 3070, but I'm curious to know what AMD comes up with. If only so they can get on a price war.
Buy what you need, when you need it; Nvidia's pricing looks good enough, even if that's more or less a result of conditioning. If you actually need the performance, grab it day one. If I already had a 48CX, I wouldn't hesitate.

But if you don't need the performance, it's hard to argue buying ahead, especially with only one company having done their product reveal, even if you wind up buying the same thing you were going to on launch day.

I'm probably buying a 3080 at launch. The benefits of custom nvidia color filters in Warzone are so amazing, AMD doesn't really have anything like it. I know it can be done with third party programs but then I have to worry about anti-hacking tools picking up other apps. The next COD will have DLSS so if they port Warzone to that game it should get my 280hz monitor to 280~ FPS. I've had a long wonderful history with ATI graphics cards but ever since they morphed into AMD I've been unimpressed. The proud Canadian in me really misses ATI.

Well, if you have a GSync only monitor like me, I guess the decision is already made. I'm not upgrading from a 1080Ti any time soon though since I don't have much time to play. When I bought the monitor, I assumed that nVidia would be running things for quite a while, as painful as that was to me. I thought about going Freesync, but didn't.
what do you mean? nvidia HAS been running things for a while.

The thing I hate about FE cards is no zero db mode. 2080 Ti/2080's 41% minimum fan speed drove me crazy and I returned it for the first AIB card I could get. Jensen bragged about how quiet the 20 series FE cards were. He didn't mention that the idle noise was like twice as loud as a 1080 Ti FE, which is 3x louder once you lower the idle fan speed which the 10 series actually had some give in the BIOS.

Either way I'm gonna wait. Last thing I want is a constantly wheezing sound in the background from an FE card.

Big Navi rumors vary wildly, specially performance spectations. They go from slightly slower or barely faster than the 2080Ti to an actual nvidia killer, so wether they can come up with something that can rival a 3080 is anyones guess.

But hopefully they can go head to head with a 3070. Well I've waited this long, whats a few more weeks.

Big Navi is going to be faster than 2080ti. That is just simple math, and you can just build on xbox series x if its still hard to do. I normally don't say it but at the very minimum you will have big navi compete with 3080. The math just adds up if they have double the 5700xt with higher clocks, given xbox and ps5. That is not taking any other IPC increase in to account and it will likely be cheaper to produce since it will be a smaller chip.

I'll wait, I'm 33 years old, been doing this since I was 15. A few months is no big deal anymore. Hoping I can get something for new years vacation so I can play cyberpunk when it's desolate and cold during my vacation time.
Yeah, doing the same thing. I am going to wait on Big Navi....and I never wait. :)

Big Navi is going to be faster than 2080ti. That is just simple math, and you can just build on xbox series x if its still hard to do. I normally don't say it but at the very minimum you will have big navi compete with 3080. The math just adds up if they have double the 5700xt with higher clocks, given xbox and ps5. That is not taking any other IPC increase in to account and it will likely be cheaper to produce since it will be a smaller chip.
In rasterized games, very likely I guess, but in RayTracing? I don't think so. And then there's DLSS, I'm pretty sure AMD will have its own counterpart. Hopefully its more akin to DLSS2.0 and not 1.0

BTW benchmarking will get very interesting with all the new technologies. Apples to apples will be really hard to do.

With Big Navi set to launch so close to this one, I would just wait it out and see which one works best for you. I would say Nvidia 3000 pricing leaves me to believe they think AMD has something to compete with.

With Big Navi set to launch so close to this one, I would just wait it out and see which one works best for you. I would say Nvidia 3000 pricing leaves me to believe they think AMD has something to compete with.
All comes down to the trigger finger, Nvidia out of the gate first, and the products look great. I'm not a brand loyalist by any stretch of the imagination, I just want my dollar to go the furthest it can at this particular point in time.

I always thought the purpose of the FE was 1) OEMs and 2) to yank that cooler off for something else.

FE is for people who want a card right away that may not be available elsewhere and for WC types usually. This time though I’m not so sure about the WC part given that weird V shaped pcb.

PS nice title lol

In rasterized games, very likely I guess, but in RayTracing? I don't think so. And then there's DLSS, I'm pretty sure AMD will have its own counterpart. Hopefully its more akin to DLSS2.0 and not 1.0

BTW benchmarking will get very interesting with all the new technologies. Apples to apples will be really hard to do.

meh. I haven’t bought a card for ray tracing and I won’t until probably another few generations lol. Nvidia failed hard on their promises First time around so I hate it spend my money with rt expectations. Now I might still go 3080 but I am going to wait and it won’t be for ray tracing. If AMD doesn’t impress then I will wait for 3080 20GB cards. I really don’t wanna buy a card with 10GB right now and 3090 does not give the performance for the price. I think nvidia priced it that high because they probably wanted to leave room for the 20GB cards between 700 and 1k.

If big Navi is close and has 16GB of ram I might go that route.

meh. I haven’t bought a card for ray tracing and I won’t until probably another few generations lol. Nvidia failed hard on their promises First time around so I hate it spend my money with rt expectations.
I would suggest nothing is really going to change in terms of TRULY changing gameplay for a good while. Raster perf will remain king for those of us gamers not looking at the reflections in the puddles while stopping to admire the scenery.

I would suggest nothing is really going to change in terms of TRULY changing gameplay for a good while. Raster perf will remain king for those of us gamers not looking at the reflections in the puddles while stopping to admire the scenery.

Hahaha. Honest truth. If you showed me videos in fast paced games and asked me was RTX on or off? I would get it wrong 100% of time. Unless I am stopping and looking I see no difference. That’s why I am not crazy about it. Yea slow demos might look flashy but in games I have actually tried with Turing and I told myself I must be blind because my eyes can’t tell right now rofl.

RT is so limited that it should have next to no impact on anyone’s decision making. The same is true for DLSS. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both great technologies but unfortunately the majority of devs will build games around console hardware which means limited RT usage and nothing that will heavily impact performance. DLSS is still not a ubiquitous technology and with it being proprietary it might as well not exist.

I’ll borrow this from FrgMstr for your viewing pleasure:
F7FC16DD-2657-4D4C-9C58-1E5BF5FF2F5C.png

I'm waiting for AMD to release Zen 3 at the end of the year. If AMD doesn't have anything around that time then I'm going either 3080 or 3090 depending on reviews.

It would be great if AMD offers something that Nvidia doesn't but it's unlikely. I expect a very similar situation to Navi 1. Similar raster performance, a few dollars cheaper and a significant feature deficit. I also don't expect Nvidia to adjust pricing so soon. They've already priced in what they know of Navi 2.

Back