So buy Ampere or wait for AMD response?

I'd strongly recommend using the screws to secure it to the IO shield; and unless your mobo has a reinforced port don't leave the card installed if shipping it. (Both of these are really good ideas with any 2 slot card from the last 10+ years) Beyond that ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I cut a piece of 1/2" x 2" board I had in the garage to prop up my son's huge 2080 Ti that was drooping like a donkey lip. If it works and it is stupid, it's not stupid.

I cut a piece of 1/2" x 2" board I had in the garage to prop up my son's huge 2080 Ti that was drooping like a donkey lip. If it works and it is stupid, it's not stupid.
Cheaper too:
https://www.amazon.com/gpu-support-bracket/s?k=gpu+support+bracket

I was thinking a petg tube with rubber on the end or something, fill with favorite liquid, colored or could be Beer, put RGB lights in it. :p

I think I think more like you and would use wood, maybe just a round dowl painted black

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My 2080ti could max any game @ 3440x1440 @ 100hz so with a 3090 make sure you get a 3440x really high refresh version. I think there are some 165hz panels out there.

I have 144Hz. I make sure my minimums exceed 144Hz, so a 3090 would be perfect for it.
Not all games will do it but at least my settings should be high-ultra.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since I only play FPS games, 4K is useless. 144 FPS+ on 1440p is the sweet spot.

I have an eye on the 3070, but I'm curious to know what AMD comes up with. If only so they can get on a price war.

At the end of the day, it probably doesn't really if you're NOT gaming at 4K @ 120hz / FPS. Otherwise, get whatever is cheaper, especially if you're still at 1080p resolution.

I guess AMD's "Big Navi" 6000 is going to cost around $449? If this is the case, the 3070 for $50 additional dollars would be the better buy if it's faster.

The answer to your question comes down to how much do you value that additional $50.

Considering the last few generations and launches and how terrible the blower style cards and the ultra low end AIB cards were it gets kind of weird this time when you consider this:
Even if you just buy the least expensive $700 flat Founders card because it's every last dollar you are willing to spend on a video card... it's STILL going to knock the face off of a 2080 Ti.
And you know, that just makes any video geek smile. It's win-win. I'll be curious for the reviews tomorrow to see if there are ANY cards that a reviewer will call "terrible." There might not be this time... except for aesthitics. And JayzTwoCents put it best: "I envy those of you who would buy a masonry brick if it was cheaper and faster."

I am that guy. I'll buy the one that looks like a masonry brick if it's cheaper and faster.

I'd have to think hard if the card motif was green frogs or pink cats though. A person has to have standards.

Waiting TBH. Im looking to move to 4K gaming anyway so I would like more than 10GB of ramp to future proof for some years (I don't upgrade as often anymore). So I'll wait to see what AMD comes out with and if it is not to my liking, I'll wait for a 3080Ti or something like that.

If your retailer has a long enough return window, buy a RTX a little after launch to have one on hand and then after AMD shows what it's got, decide which one to keep.

what's the 4k bluray bit rate? Wasn't it like 50mbits? or am I thinking regular bluray.

The max with sound was about that (40 mbits usualy in the 30-35 range), for just the image in the 25-30 range for high quality one.

The max with sound was about that (40 mbits usualy in the 30-35 range), for just the image in the 25-30 range for high quality one.
Yeah, blu-ray would have probably looked better if they focused on HDR and 2k instead of 4k. I think enabling HDR (that is implemented correctly) does more for me @ 1080p than just upping the resolution to 4k. Of course, if I can have both, great... but if I had to chose, there are things that do more for me than just more pixels.

I'm buying. The longer I own and use the new gen card the more value I get out of the hardware. If somehow VRAM becomes a big issue I can always sell the thing off and get the one with more. I doubt it's going to become a big enough issue I want to charge cards during the 2 years I'll own it.

If your retailer has a long enough return window, buy a RTX a little after launch to have one on hand and then after AMD shows what it's got, decide which one to keep.

Hmmmm, does any retailer have a 60 day window, because that's what you're looking at if you buy a 3XXX in September.

Best Buy, for example, has a 45 day window for some customers and AMD's big announcement about RDA2, presumably the 6000 series, is 41 days from now. So if a 3080 were to be purchased on the 17th (when it will supposedly come into stock) or shortly thereafter, then the purchaser would still be within the return window.

Best Buy, for example, has a 45 day window for some customers and AMD's big announcement about RDA2, presumably the 6000 series, is 41 days from now. So if a 3080 were to be purchased on the 17th (when it will supposedly come into stock) or shortly thereafter, then the purchaser would still be within the return window.
Are you sure about that? I feel like best buy has the worst return policy. They also might have an open box restocking fee. Amazon sends to have the best return policy but it's usually only 30 days

Best Buy elite plus members are people who a) spend $3,500 a year at Best Buy or b) charge at least $3,500 yearly on their credit card. Elite plus people have a 45 day return window. I have no idea whether a restocking fee would apply, but I also never indicated that a launch day buyer should open the box and use the card either; immediate purchase was just to ensure availability.

When I was buying new TVs during the big Thanksgiving sale after finally buying house (well buying equity and taking a mortgage) I signed up for the credit card to get an extra 10% off, which really added up. Putting my homeowner's insurance on the card each year crosses that threshold.

Back