So, apparently MOSTLY everyone needs to return their RTX 3080 / 3090 because of "cheap" components. I'm def returning my EVGA 3090.

Did some testing last night on the 3090 using my CX tv. Please a good solid 3-4 hours of COD:MW and did not have 1 crash. Boost speeds were around 1950-1980 most of the time.

Really does make me wonder if its a driver issue though. I know if I enable Gsync on the CX tv it will drop its signal.

It's probably a combination of both, cards boosting too high due to lack of testing with drivers/firmware and the cheaper designs having more issues handling it due to the capacitor layout.

It could always get worse and I've seen some pretty big blunders in the hardware world. Pentium FDIV bug, i820 MTH issue and NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI reference board issues. Similarly, I remember bad capacitors on GeForce 4 GPU's. We had dozens of GeForce 4 Ti 4200 GPU's at work which all died in months to a year or so. They had shoddy VRM's that burnt out and multiple capactor failures. Also, speaking of which, the capacitor issues that plagued the entire industry lasted for years. I remember Apple continuing to use shitty caps more than a year after everyone else stopped in iMacs.

Also, let's not forget the NVIDIA space invaders issues. The list goes on and on.

:( I tried so hard to make it obvious I was making fun of the youtuber's hyperbole, sometimes text based communication fails us.

So, apparently MOSTLY everyone needs to return their RTX 3080 / 3090 because of "cheap" components. I'm def returning my EVGA 3090.

No way IN HELL am I going to accept this on a $1800 with tax video card.

But, then again, my card is very stable. I've not had any crashing but, will my components degrade over time?

Wait, yes, I do have a strange crash. Timespy crashes right off the jump. Let me go turn off my overclocking tool within Geforce Experience.

Trust me, watch this video.

Well, this is what happens when manufacturers and AIBs take advantage of the good faith of their customers. I bet everyone used every single leftover and/or overstock component they had laying around to build these GPUs. The demand is such for these GPUs that most will just be happy to get their hands on one. Not me though. I would never spend $1500 or $1800 on a gaming GPU knowing that it's not manufactured with the best components. However, this crap will continue for as long as enthusiasts tolerate it. Return your GPUs folks, don't tolerate this garbage.

Huh interesting. I have a 3090 XC3 Ultra as well, but my layout is 4+2.....odd how yours is 5+1

Your fucking kidding me????? can you take pics? NOW I AM REALLY pissed and worried. $1800 is a chunk of bread.

Nvidia spec DID include MLCC caps. It's the cheapo AIBS that decided, *shrug* we'll just skip this one and shave off 5 bucks on our bottom line margin. Let's just go all POSCAPS cos it's close enough LULZ!

Minimum reference design would have been 1x MLCC + 5x poscaps. Nvidia went slightly above that spec with FE 2+4 design.

From reports 1+5 'should' work but the 2+4 seems to be the safest most stable design choice. And the 6 poscap designs are the most problematic.
I already quoted and linked it previously. Stop spreading false information. Nvidia only specified 6 groups of any combination. 6 poscaps or 6 mlcc or any combination. There was no requirement for 1+5 or any other combination. I don't know why people jump the defense of nvidia without actually having a clue, but here we are. All this and it's still speculation that this is the primary/only issue. Nvidia gave EVGA and others a reference, which they followed. Now we're seeing multiple reports of crashing cards. That's all we really know. Right now it's suspected that the lack of mlcc caps is a contributing (or the primary) issue. Still waiting on a response by nvidia.

Edit: I'll put it here so you don't even have to look for it:
"The BoM and the drawing from June leave it open whether large-area POSCAPs (Conductive Polymer Tantalum Solid Capacitors) are used (marked in red), or rather the somewhat more expensive MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitor). The latter are smaller and have to be grouped for a higher capacity.
According to the list and specifications of Nvidia, both are possible."
https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-rea...tabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

So, the BoM just says you can use either or and doesn't specifify how many of which you need, meaning the minimum reference *should* be fine using 6 sets of POSCAPs (or w/e the actual name is). That low end boards are built to the minimum spec should not be a surprise.

Last edited:
Buildzoid commented that the ASUS 3080 seemed to use six of the 470 MLCs that he prefers so he seemed to find that design to be 'very neat'. Some would call that type of card "overengineered" but apparently it makes a difference on the 30 series. Maybe because this video card draws more power than ever. Maybe it's the high frequencies. But the MLCs definitely make a difference over the designs that only use SP caps - that are called poscaps.

It seems like ASUS cards have the highest quality design of any other AIB for the RTX 3000 series.

The capacitors on these cards are not POSCAPs–buildzoid ranted for about 10 minutes about it if you feel like torturing yourself. Tl;dr, poscaps have clear, bright white labling on them, and are a specific panasonic brand of capacitor. These, SP-caps, are another panasonic brand. One is a tantalem poly capacitor (POSCAP), the other is aluminum poly (SP-CAP), iirc. They have different characteristics, and are suited for different things–if you used a POSCAP where an SP-CAP should be used, your circuit would likely not function properly.

It seems like ASUS cards have the highest quality design of any other AIB for the RTX 3000 series.

No surprise there, the ASUS Strix 2080 Ti I recently sold was a very well built GPU.

Return it and get an FE or ASUS. Why take a risk with such an expensive card?

I don't think it's that simple because if you return the card you get your money back. You don't necessarily get a replacement card, and replacement cards aren't going to be easy to come by for a little while yet.

I don't think it's that simple because if you return the card you get your money back. You don't necessarily get a replacement card, and replacement cards aren't going to be easy to come by for a little while yet.

They won’t be available in volume but at least he’d have his money back and then could wait till November and see what NVIDIA does after Big Navi’s announcement. Either way I’d personally return it.

They won’t be available in volume but at least he’d have his money back and then could wait till November and see what NVIDIA does after Big Navi’s announcement. Either way I’d personally return it.

I guess. I mean it's not like EVGA engineers don't know what they are talking about when they designed the FTW. I'd probably see if there are issues before just blindingly sending it back. I'm sure they would do some kind of RMA later if there were issues and that way he would never be without a card.

Have a local offer for 725 for my 2080ti. Part of me wants to sell, get a cheap 2060 to wait this out. Part of me wants to hang on to it and forget about the 3xxx series for a while. Decisions and first world problems lol. Thoughts?

Have a local offer for 725 for my 2080ti. Part of me wants to sell, get a cheap 2060 to wait this out. Part of me wants to hang on to it and forget about the 3xxx series for a while. Decisions and first world problems lol. Thoughts?

I say you sell it. Once general availability of the 3070 and above cards are out there, the used price of the 2080s will drop significantly.

I say you sell it. Once general availability of the 3070 and above cards are out there, the used price of the 2080s will drop significantly.
But I wanna play Mafia at 3840x1600 UW settings lol.Yea leaning towards getting an EVGA 2060 from wally world and seeing the market including how the step up program shapes up. I understand I can sign up for it but am not locked into anything till my turn comes and I have to pay, correct?

Have you done testing to verify your configuration as a problem?

I am having random crashes in COD Warzone, blue screens for no reason and 3DMark crashes right off the jump. I cannot explain the crashing other than, new drivers?

Yes, at $1800, what's another $100 for a higher end model.

Plus the other guy with the same exact model as me said he was 4 + 2 and I am 5 + 1 on the same model? Fuck all that.

I am having random crashes in COD Warzone, blue screens for no reason and 3DMark crashes right off the jump. I cannot explain the crashing other than, new drivers?

Yes, at $1800, what's another $100 for a higher end model.

Plus the other guy with the same exact model as me said he was 4 + 2 and I am 5 + 1 on the same model? Fuck all that.
Have you underclocked and verified the issues went away?

I've decided to stick with my 2080TI for the moment, until this sorts itself out a bit.

See a whole lot of this going on...

Screenshot_20200927-153714.png

Lol, well he seems calm ;).

Fine. This is FINE.

I normally wait at least 2 months for driver bugs / etc to work out... but I'd planned on trying to get one on day one. Glad I didn't, happy to wait. ~shrug~. They'll be there eventually.

This might put out the fire for Cyberpunks launch, I wonder if it will be delayed again until NVidias cards are ready ;)

Have you underclocked and verified the issues went away?

Wait? Underclock? Never, I am not going to jack around with anything like that. It's not my job to beta test hardware or drivers. I've been buying the new shit for years, year after MF year. it should just work, period. In recent year, I NEVER had an issue with my new 980, or my 1080 ti, or my 2080 ti, etc etc. All bought at launch.

Now, you have many many people reporting crashing, they are talking about this and that, my gsync is broke on my LG C9. Clearly, there are issues. I even read that cards are being shipped without boxes. My EVGA 3080 had the support bracket and the dongle. My EVGA 3090, same packaging didn't have those 2 parts. I was missing them. Shit is being rushed, clearly.

Where there is smoke there is fire. There is a lot of smoke right now.

All the problems out there is verification enough for me. So yes, it's verified Personally verified? No, but I don't have to and not sure what that would really accomplish. That seed of extreme doubt is still planted and not going away anytime soon. I never had any crashing with my 2080 ti that I just had in the system days ago. Now, the same manufacturer, their drivers. etc etc and I'm getting random crashing? What really bothers me is nVidia can patch in clock downgrades based off hardware ID strings. It's very possible that they will do this to ad in stability and avoid any further bad press. In fact, I am just going to assume that is what's going to happen.

Look, I am not HOPEFUL like the rest of you guys. I don't sit around and tell myself, "EVGA and nVidia are great companies, they really care about me and I can put my complete faith and trust in them, they have my best interests at heart!" No, I do not work that way and the rest of you shouldn't either.

I am old and wise enough to expect the worst. I'll talk with a manager at Microcenter next week when I go in and see if I can get an agreement for me to return the card past the 30 day period so I can upgrade / replace my issues with my RTX 3090 as stock becomes more stable. I am pretty sure they will do it. They have given me refunds 60 days out on hardware. Then again, I am in their twice weekly and have spent a lot of money.

I am fairly certian 3090's @ $1700 - $1800 a pop will have stock stabilization much sooner than the RTX 3080.

This might put out the fire for Cyberpunks launch, I wonder if it will be delayed again until NVidias cards are ready ;)
Not sure what Cyberpunk has to do with anything. Unfortunately none of the outrage over CapGate actually changes anything. For every one person mad on a forum or reddit about Ampere right now and saying they're going to wait (and I don't blame them), there are hundreds of people frantically waiting for the Add to Cart button to appear somewhere. This isn't slowing down.

Hell, even the people with cards are ranting, but actually don't want to return them - "I'm mad as hell, but no way I'm returning my card!"

AMD will be same situation .. too much demand.

Last edited:
Not sure what Cyberpunk has to do with anything. Unfortunately none of the outrage over CapGate changes anything. For every person clutching pearls on a forum or reddit about Nvidia right now, there are hundreds ready to buy the card they claim they won't.

Hell even the people with cards don't want to return them - "I'm mad as hell but no way I'm returning my card!" - see the post above mine.
It appears CDPR have been relying on the release of new gfx cards to boost max quality settings and thus boost debate on the release of Cyberpunk.
The original release date for NVidia was said to be early this year, as was the release of Cyberpunk.
Then NVidia delayed and soon after so did CDPR.

Just a bit of fun, although I realise it might not be allowed now!

Your fucking kidding me????? can you take pics? NOW I AM REALLY pissed and worried. $1800 is a chunk of bread.

Have you considered just asking EVGA directly? You can message or email Jacob Freeman on twitter/his evga email. Hes usually really responsive.

Just reinforces my opinion that AIB == cheap, gimmicky garbage these days.
Remember when AIBs actually had custom/beefier circuitry, components, and even PCBs? Pepperidge farms remembers.

It appears CDPR have been relying on the release of new gfx cards to boost max quality settings and thus boost debate on the release of Cyberpunk.
The original release date for NVidia was said to be early this year, as was the release of Cyberpunk.

CyberPunk was delayed to literally a week after next gen consoles release. If any external parties wanted it delayed it was Sony or Microsoft, not Nvidia.

CyberPunk was delayed to literally a week after next gen consoles release. If any external parties wanted it delayed it was Sony or Microsoft, not Nvidia.

But it's not going to be on next-gen consoles initially. The only way you're going to play it on the PS5 for example is playing the PS4 version.

I don't buy it. Nvidia has been pimping the game since midway through the Turing cycle only for that generation to be out of date by the time the game releases. That's not a good look for either company.

But it's not going to be on next-gen consoles initially. The only way you're going to play it on the PS5 for example is playing the PS4 version.
Correct but I wouldn’t be surprised if the PS4 and Xbox One versions probably run like ass. It’ll run immensely better on next gen consoles even if it looks the same.

Correct but I wouldn’t be surprised if the PS4 and Xbox One versions probably run like ass. It’ll run immensely better on next gen consoles even if it looks the same.

I agree. I've said all along I'm looking forward to actually playing PS4 games with real frame rates for the first time.

I thought the Asus 3080 cards were also OK?...there needs to be a list someplace which has a listing of all the cards that don't have any issues

I thought the Asus 3080 cards were also OK?...there needs to be a list someplace which has a listing of all the cards that don't have any issues
There are no ‘OK’ cards. There have been CTD reports for all cards. The issue appears to affect cards that utilize more MLCC capacitors less than those that use mostly or solely so-caps. There aren’t any cards that are immune from the issue.

There are no ‘OK’ cards. There have been CTD reports for all cards. The issue appears to affect cards that utilize more MLCC capacitors less than those that use mostly or solely so-caps. There aren’t any cards that are immune from the issue.

so even the Founders Edition version has issues?

so even the Founders Edition version has issues?
Apparently.

From my understanding of Igor’s latest update; all cards can be/are affected. The types of capacitors used help cards remain stable that have essentially a lower performing GPU chip. So if you have a good chip your card might be stable even with 6x sp-caps. But at the same time if you have a chip that is garbage tier then even a 6x MLCC arrangement won’t help it from crashing.

Apparently.

From my understanding of Igor’s latest update; all cards can be/are affected. The types of capacitors used help cards remain stable that have essentially a lower performing GPU chip. So if you have a good chip your card might be stable even with 6x sp-caps. But at the same time if you have a chip that is garbage tier then even a 6x MLCC arrangement won’t help it from crashing.

so going forward what is the optimal solution?...all 3080/3090 cards have to be re-manufactured?

Back