So anyone in here have any tape library experience?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
We are replacing our Dell TL4000 and the question is do we get a new Dell ML3, or should we look at someone else like Quantum?

Anyone have experience with a library they hate less than others?

Honestly if you must use a removable type, use RDX. otherwise move to a disk to disk backup.

No, we are going to stick with LTO, you can't beat the cost per TB nor the long term storage stability. Just a question of which tape library we buy.

well i prefer the Lenovo LTO chassis. i have never found LTO to have any long term storage stability, and i got rid of my last LTO chassis last year, so i am not up on the current versions.

What is your current need for daily/weekly/monthly backup, how much churn do you forsee daily for incremental or differential backups? How often do you plan on sending the tapes offsite and replacing them with new ones? How much do you see your backup needs increasing over the next 60 months? Do you have enough of a time window for the backup to complete to tape in the time allotted (If not, you might need to do a Disk to Disk to Tape sequence to fit the amount of data into the time window you have.

We do a full backup quarterly, diff weekly. We already have a tape library, a Dell TL4000 with an LTO-6 drive, we are just upgrading. We've been doing tape backups for about 20 years now, I am just upgrading the library to something with current support and bigger tapes. Just wondering if anyone has experience with different companies than Dell, who is rebranded IBM. I don't need to know how to plan the backups, they are already currently happening, we are just growing our storage and so going to grow our backup library.

Back