So, after spending 2 months with my TJ-09,

Opopono

Weaksauce
I have decided to go back to my Lian-Li pc1200b plus.

Quite frankly, I was very disappointed with the TJ09. It all started as soon as I took of one of the side panels and realized how incredibly thin they were. This really irked me for some reason.

When I built my first pc, I went to this tiny hole in the wall computer place and bought this 60 dollar all aluminum case. It reminded me of some Lian-Li cases that I had seen, so I was super-stoked to get it. My friend and I used to laugh at how thin the case was. You could bend the panels while they were attached to the case, and the entire case was ridiculously light.

The second case I bought was a Coolermaster ATC-710. Man, what a beast. I LOVED this case, though. The only thing I disliked about it was the weight, but I still regret selling it. That thing was a freaking tank, and it just felt like quality.

The last case I had before the tj09 was a Lian-Li Pc1200b plus. I love this case still, and overall it is probably the best case I have built with yet. The layout is logical, its relatively light, it looks good and it has good, thick aluminum without being too heavy. This is where Silverstone let me down.

My friend built a few pcs with Silverstone cases, so I thought I would give them a shot since he never had a bad thing to say about them. Well, I should have stuck with my Lian-Li.

Problem 1.

It blew my mind how thin this case was.

I still wonder about this. I mean, I paid over 200 bucks for this thing, and I cant get any thicker aluminum than this? Maybe I am just used to owning thicker cases, but I just thought that the thickness of the TJ09 was absolutely absurd for a top of the line case.

Problem 2.

One of the door panels doesnt line up correctly with the case.

This is quite possibly just me being anal and way too particular, but it still bugs me to death. The left door panel wont slide all the way forward to line up with the case. The back lip of the panel isnt flush with the rest of the case. I have tried pushing as much as I could and i tried screwing in the thumbscrews as far as they would go, but neither of them worked. So, I guess its just something I have to deal with. Honestly, I think this was probably some kind of error with shipping or a freak incident, because i know you dudes are just as anal about this stuff as I am and wouldnt tolerate it.;)

Problem 3.

The slots on the case that the lips of expansion cards slip down into are too small.

This got me extremely pissed off. I had everything ready to go except for putting in my video card and sound card. So, I go to put in my fresh new 8800 only to realize that the lip on the 8800 would not fit down into the case. The slit on the case was too damned small. So, I had to get a screwdriver and bend the slits so that my cards would fit.:rolleyes: Absolutely ridiculous and completely unacceptable.

My other complaints are completely personal. After using my Lian-Li, something about the standard atx format just doesnt do it for me anymore. I think the Lian-Li layout is much better, and much easier to work with. Personal preference, of course.

All in all, I expected more from Silverstone. I would still like to try a TJ07, but that definitely wont be anytime soon.

Also, SILVERSTONE NEEDS TO MAKE DRIVE BEZELS.

Back to my Lian-Li tomorrow, and sorry for the lengthy post.

Can you return it, even with a restocking fee you would get money back? Is it beyond that time now?

RMA for the side panel issue is probably out of the question due to the weight of the system for shipping. Sorry to hear that, but good info.

I would still like to try a TJ07, but that definitely wont be anytime soon.
I think you'd like the TJ07 better, the case and panels are thick aluminum, and the card slots are sized correctly. The only problem I have is with one of the panels sliding all the way forward - it does, but it takes some pushing and clamping force on the bottom of the panel. But the layout is fantastic.

Hey, sorry to hear that you're so disappointed with your TJ09. I agree that the ATC-710 was built like a tank (as I own one) but you have to understand that that case was also designed using steel, and only the front was aluminum. There's a reason why the side panels on the TJ09 are thin, because the rest of the case is already so sturdy and rigid, there really is no need for thicker side panels. Personally it doesn't bother me, but if you're unhappy, you might want to try one of Silverstone's Hybrid aluminum/steel cases. If you think the ATC-710 was a tank. I think you'd love the TJ06, I own one of those and that thing is possibly the sturdiest case I've ever had the pleasure of working with, not to mention the easiest to work with. Everything on that thing is tool-less, and the price is good too.

Thanks for the info, I've generally only heard good things about Silverstone too.

However, I'm just curious, how come you've changed cases so many times?

Problem 1.

It blew my mind how thin this case was.

I still wonder about this. I mean, I paid over 200 bucks for this thing, and I cant get any thicker aluminum than this? Maybe I am just used to owning thicker cases, but I just thought that the thickness of the TJ09 was absolutely absurd for a top of the line case.

I think you maybe a bit too focused on the thickness of the side panels. The side panels are the only places the TJ09 is thinner than the LIan-Li I believe. Have you checked the front panel, hard drive cage, and everywhere else? If you remove the side panels on both cases, I am sure you will find the Lian-Li to be less rigid than your TJ09 because it uses mostly 1.5mm aluminum compared to Silverstone's 2.0mm.

I'm a bit of a case fanatic. I own four old Cooler Master cases (ATC-110, 710, 210, 220) and three Silverstones. The reason I changed from my TJ06 to my TJ09, is cooling. TJ06 was really not designed for an SLI system, although you could get by, I just felt the need to switch.

Also for the ATCS cases.... They look phenomenal, but again cooling is an issue.

I'll trade you my Rocketfish brand new in box for your TJ09! lol

I agree with the statement 1, sortof. The case has thin sides but incredible body. The case weighs too much... if you think silverstone has thin sides, I guess you haven't been involved with lianlis much.

Statement 2, I disagree.

Statement 3, I disagree. BTW, if you want to buy a TJ07, I would like to welcome you to Statement 2.

all aluminum cases built like tanks that are current and relatively easy to get -

hiper anubis

any of the gigabyte 3d aurora series.

Back