So, about that Samsung Bixby Button

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
For those of you that have been working hard enough to rock the new Samsung Galaxy S8, it looks like you are going to have to wait a bit longer to really use that Bixby button to its fullest here in North America. Apparently understanding English and Chinese are not as easy as Samsung thought it was. This does beg the question, has anyone tried speaking Chinglish to it? That all "said," Samsung did buy the company, Viv Labs, last year that developed a lot of tech behind Apple's Siri technology.

Bixby is now available only in Korean, although Samsung’s mobile chief, Koh Dong-jin, said in April, "Bixby’s English version and Chinese version will be unveiled in May and in June, respectively."

"Developing Bixby in other languages is taking more time than we expected mainly because of the lack of the accumulation of big data," a Samsung spokesperson told The Korea Herald.

"...mainly because of the lack of the accumulation of big data".

Translation- They were unable to conduct their clandestine eavesdropping program long enough or on a scale large enough to accumulate the data they needed from English speaking locales. :ROFLMAO:

Hello v2.0, codename Learn-As-You-Go (/sarc), Samsung is reportedly making a Bixby smart speaker to compete with Amazon and Google.

Disabled the button because it's worthless and I always click it when I'm trying to find the volume button, and fairly often just picking up the phone. Likely going to swap to another company's phone as soon as I can sort out the funds, it's ridiculous how many packages I had to disable to make the phone operate smoothly, and even after all that it's still not seemless. Considering the hardware included, it's insane how badly the phone operates. This all sucks, because Samsung Pay is freaking amazing.

There was a kickstarter just to make a case that covers that button so you never hit it.

I can't imagine having a button that is completely uncontrollable on the phone with some weird 3rd party app on android? What in the world are they thinking?

I still don't understand what the hell they were thinking. Curved super-tall screen only, even though the regular S7 sold nearly the same amount as it's bigger-brother last year. Because the world was missing the Note, and was willing to settle for it's inferior brother. And of course the smaller, flatter versions of the S8 will be launched "sometime," likely lost in a mess of network-locked crap.

And that stupid button that will never actually do anything, because rushed-out feature.

That, and they still insist on charging higher prices, even though they don't offer the same level of long-term support as Apple (just 2 years of updates). And my GF's last major update on her 6-month-old S7 made it perform worse than my old S4. Not exactly an enticement for me to make a purchase here!

Seriously Samsung, you sold a shit-ton of S4s. I know you like to pretend we don't exist, but there's still demand for smaller flagship phones. Just look at Apple, eating-up your marketshare:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4011298-apple-iphone-buyers-shifting-plus

Yes, that's right, iPhone Plus buyers are only 30% of Apple's iPhone sales, even after THREE YEARS of availability! It's a growing segment, but that may have a ceiling once demand for the larger phones is satisfied.

Give us a reason to drop cash, like a small phone again with a lower price or a better-optimized system. We don't need top-quality screens - just something decent, if you could cut prices.

Last edited:
I just got a Google Pixel and signed up for Project Fi. Forget the Samsung stuff.

Shit, my S8 is sitting powered off in my desk drawer at home.

My Motorola Droid Turbo is what I carry again.

defaultuser has it mostly right. Samsung is fucking up.

Oh, and I hated that Bixby shit that kept popping out when I was trying to get something done.

I called and asked how to disable it, Verizon Support was no help at all.

Well they help me eat some minutes I supposed.

Samsung is a photocopier company, and when it comes to fleshing out the copies that they make, sometimes they lack the actual skills to make it work.

I'm sure they are busy buying and integrating the relevant software plug-ins they need to make this work in English, after they thought that they could get away with copying and pasting in someone elses data.

Last edited:
Just received an OS update that broke BXactions. Well, that pretty much seals it for me. My next phone will not be a Samsung phone. I fucking hate this shit so much that I'm going to super glue the fucking button so that I never have to see Bixby again. And that's coming from someone who owns every version of the Note except the last, and I also own 2 Samsung Plasma HDTV's and 2 Samsung Blu-Ray home theater systems.

No more soup for you, Samsung. You don't get to force shit on me that I don't want and still win. That means no more phones, no more TV's, none of it.

/Unless you let me disable that fucking button.

I love my S8. Screen to body is quite amazing. I hope to use this thing for at least two or three years.

Originally thought the screen would suck and be totally gimmicky but I really ended up liking it. Best screen so far.

You can also just disable the Bixby button and not worry about it? No special program necessary, just a setting toggle. Don't get all the hate.

Google releases now, makes it take over the search feature in Android, builds it into the home button. People like it.

Apple releases Siri, integrates it into the home button, Apple people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Samsung releases Bixby, builds their own button for it so it will not be integrated into any of your other buttons and create confusion. People chastise them and freak out. Here is the thing you don't have to touch the Bixby button, none of the other players allow that. To me it is just hypocritical that one company or group is freely able to force whatever they want and is called innovative and another finds people constantly bashing them and trying to figure out how to disable it or change it. I think the dedicated Bixby button was a great way for them to do it. Would I rather all devices give us all the power to turn off or configure anything any way we like? Absolutely but I completely understand when your competitors are pushing their way to a monopoly with the OS you probably need to do similar things.

The same is true for Windows and Cortana, so much hate for something that everyone else is doing. And it wouldn't be so bad if people were not happily using the alternative products and not crying about that too.

I have an S8+ and I don't really use Bixby, don't have to, it's a button I don't even need to touch.

I love my S8. Screen to body is quite amazing. I hope to use this thing for at least two or three years.

Originally thought the screen would suck and be totally gimmicky but I really ended up liking it. Best screen so far.

You can also just disable the Bixby button and not worry about it? No special program necessary, just a setting toggle. Don't get all the hate.

Please post a screenshot of this toggle. Afaik, my phone has no such feature.

Google releases now, makes it take over the search feature in Android, builds it into the home button. People like it.

Apple releases Siri, integrates it into the home button, Apple people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Samsung releases Bixby, builds their own button for it so it will not be integrated into any of your other buttons and create confusion. People chastise them and freak out. Here is the thing you don't have to touch the Bixby button, none of the other players allow that. To me it is just hypocritical that one company or group is freely able to force whatever they want and is called innovative and another finds people constantly bashing them and trying to figure out how to disable it or change it. I think the dedicated Bixby button was a great way for them to do it. Would I rather all devices give us all the power to turn off or configure anything any way we like? Absolutely but I completely understand when your competitors are pushing their way to a monopoly with the OS you probably need to do similar things.

The same is true for Windows and Cortana, so much hate for something that everyone else is doing. And it wouldn't be so bad if people were not happily using the alternative products and not crying about that too.

I have an S8+ and I don't really use Bixby, don't have to, it's a button I don't even need to touch.

The Bixby button is in a location which makes it easy to inadvertently activate it when pressing volume down. It also interferes with common claw type phone holders, particularly in landscape mode. And it is positioned almost directly across from the unlock button, which can lead to Bixby launching while pressing unlock depending on how you hold it.

I also dislike the Bixby integration into the camera. But to each his own.

Back