So, 6800 from 1080 a worthy upgrade?

Cantroy

Lurker
Gotta use Amazon gift cards, yay Christmas, but I have a 1080 now. Trying to keep it under $500 too, as I don't want to add too much of my own $ into it. It looks like I could get this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BCR4F...colid=CTYNC0BWM1DB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

although it pushes the budget, and the 6750 is a little cheaper... I've seen the 6800 or bust posts already, but it comes down to $. a 3060TI is also on the list, but I think something this route might be the better value looking at Tom's list here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Any thoughts? It is Tuesday and I'm not buying until Friday. Plenty of time to tell me what you all would do.

Gotta use Amazon gift cards, yay Christmas, but I have a 1080 now. Trying to keep it under $500 too, as I don't want to add too much of my own $ into it. It looks like I could get this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0BCR4F...colid=CTYNC0BWM1DB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

although it pushes the budget, and the 6750 is a little cheaper... I've seen the 6800 or bust posts already, but it comes down to $. a 3060TI is also on the list, but I think something this route might be the better value looking at Tom's list here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Any thoughts? It is Tuesday and I'm not buying until Friday. Plenty of time to tell me what you all would do.
I bought a RX 6750 XT + a new monitor for less than a 6800 XT. When comparing benchmarks I don't think I missed out on anything. My display is 1080p.

What monitor are you using? What target FPS are you looking for? Amazon GPU prices are kinda all over the place now so its really hard to find a good deal.

I just have a 4k Samsung TV as primary and a Dell 27"as secondary running at 19x12 resolution. Pretty sure the TV just has a 60 refresh. Sorry, on my phone...

Reactions: pavel
like this

Sure. I just downgraded from a 6900xt to a 6600xt and went from 120fps at 1440p to 110fps at 1440p on Apex arenas. If the 6600xt is this good, you should be fine with a 6750/6800. My 3900x cpu bottlenecks me.

edit: are you still using a sandy bridge CPU? id replace motherboard, cpu, ram before replacing a 1080 then.

5600X actually, with 16 gigs of RAM and a EVO NVMe drive, so the rest isn't bad. I'm still shopping honestly.

Try and grab a 6700XT with a beefy cooler honestly or jump to the 6800XT.

My 2 picks from Amazon:

XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT​

or

PowerColor Fighter AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT​

Screenshot_20230210-120724.jpg

Thanks. My purchasing plans took a small detour due to my wife drinking my money away for the past few months and my finding out. I'm celebrating my Valentine's day with my soon to be ex-wife in Detox so it may be a little longer, but if I can find a good deal on a 6800 I will try to snag it. Just may be another month or 2, darn it.

No, you don't get pics, sorry, but you would be disappointed. She spent most of the last few years in bed after back surgeries, and looks it.
Yes, it was more than just alcohol and cigs due to the surgeries...
and yes, it is a pretty firm "no more can I put myself through this".

Thanks. My purchasing plans took a small detour due to my wife drinking my money away for the past few months and my finding out. I'm celebrating my Valentine's day with my soon to be ex-wife in Detox so it may be a little longer, but if I can find a good deal on a 6800 I will try to snag it. Just may be another month or 2, darn it.

No, you don't get pics, sorry, but you would be disappointed. She spent most of the last few years in bed after back surgeries, and looks it.
Ah man I'm sorry to hear that, substance abuse changes people it's not an easy thing to deal with. Best wishes.

That's really hard. Sorry man. Hang in there. If gaming helps you heal, go big and get that 6800XT. YOYO. Make the best of things.

Shopping therapy perhaps hehe, but since I have to have the house listed by the end of June, I am further delayed /sigh But hey, might get whatever is top then. Won't have a house payment then at least. She is doing much better, but honestly part of the divorce is to kick her in the behind to make her take care of herself and get her life straight. I'm looking at it as a chance for me to fix mine as well, as the last couple of years have been a little rough, but I am hopeful. Thanks for the well wishes!

Congratulations OP I know it's shit times right now but.... It sounds like you're going to be making a much larger upgrade in the future than you would have been making in your computer. Stay positive.

Back